Co-Pilot or TomTom6 GPS?

Guest AndrewH13

Guest AndrewH13

Im trying to decide between the Co-Pilot and TomTom6 packages with GPS receivers to add to my Vario II. Anyone made the same comparison or indeed tried both?

Any suggestions on a complete package of car holders and chargers?

Also, has anyone tried Geocaching with the receivers included with these?

Guest AndrewH13
Im trying to decide between the Co-Pilot and TomTom6 packages with GPS receivers to add to my Vario II. Anyone made the same comparison or indeed tried both?

Anyone using CoPilot/TomTom GPS on Vario II?

Anyone using CoPilot/TomTom GPS on Vario II?

Hi,

I use Tom Tom 6 on my SPV M3100. Only just installed it so cant really report very much at the mo.

Also, never used CoPilot so cant give you an honest comparison.

But, if you have any questions, ask away!

Mark

Guest awarner (MVP)

TomTom has a more finished appearance where as CoPilot has some very good features but it's certainly not as user friendly plus there are some glaring glitches that should have never made it to release.

If CoPilot would get their act together and concentrate on finishing the product and getting it tested by everyday users before releasing it, it would be serious competition for TomTom.

I-Go does look good though but I've not had the chance to give is a real test.

Guest sleighty
Hi,

I use Tom Tom 6 on my SPV M3100. Only just installed it so cant really report very much at the mo.

Also, never used CoPilot so cant give you an honest comparison.

But, if you have any questions, ask away!

Mark

I've just installed TTN6 on my 3100 last night, but I'm using my old generic GPS unit. After several hours of trial & error & soft resets I finally got it to work! If I could afford it I would have got the TTN GPS unit as well. Ran it several times today and it worked perfectly though. Personally I prefer TTN to CoPilot, but like others I don't have much experience of CoPilot, mainly because I don't like the look of it enough to try it on my own device.

I have a simple small PDA windscreen mount which fitted my M500 with the in-car charger plugged in, & it fits my 3100 just fine too. Volume from both devices is clearly audible in my van so its possible to manage without expensive kit. TTN handles phone-calls fine as well, but data in Contacts has to be just right or it can't navigate to them.

I have found TomTom6 to be overall better than Co-Pilot. Much more polished and rounded product. The only other one that I found comes close to TomTom is MioMap 3.2 (I-Go)

Edited by Wam7

Guest AndrewH13
I've just installed TTN6 on my 3100 last night, but I'm using my old generic GPS unit. After several hours of trial & error & soft resets I finally got it to work! If I could afford it I would have got the TTN GPS unit as well. Ran it several times today and it worked perfectly though. Personally I prefer TTN to CoPilot, but like others I don't have much experience of CoPilot, mainly because I don't like the look of it enough to try it on my own device.

I have a simple small PDA windscreen mount which fitted my M500 with the in-car charger plugged in, & it fits my 3100 just fine too. Volume from both devices is clearly audible in my van so its possible to manage without expensive kit. TTN handles phone-calls fine as well, but data in Contacts has to be just right or it can't navigate to them.

Thanks for your comments, you say TTN handles phones calls as well, do you mean I can replace my Bluetooth in-car unit which plugs directly in lighter socket? I was about to buy a lighter socket adapter so both my PDA and current CAR unit could be charged concurrently.

Also was not sure if both would run off Bluetooth at same time ok with Vario II. Dont suppose Speech Dialling would also work through Tom-Tom like I have currently have with separate unit?

Is there a need for lighter adapter anyway, as GPS Receiver need constant charging?

Guest AndrewH13
I have found TomTom6 to be overall better than Co-Pilot. Much more polished and rounded product. The only other one that I found comes close to TomTom is MioMap 3.2 (I-Go)

Thanks all for advice, it did seem TTN6 looked better, but Tmobile always package Co-Pilot with Varios, so I just wanted to check there wasnt a technical reason for this.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Nope no technical reason, it's just a deal CoPilot have made with Tmobile as they do with other companies.

I run both TomTom and a BT headset when driving distances but as for calling out that is one thing I have never done.

Regarding charging, I always leave my phone on charge when in the car so you can be fairly sure you have a fully charged battery at the end of your journey.

Hello,

i have just purchased the HOLUX 236 GPS receiver, this came with a car charger that also happens to be a mini usb and can charge my VARIO 2 at the same time, saved me buying another separate charger anyway.

I am also using the TTN6, which seems to be working well with my JABRA bluetooth handsfree at the same time. The only thing i noticed when TT is running and a call comes through, the ring tone seems to skip, this is the phones ringtone, not an Mp3 or anything.

Also recieving e-mails while TT is running is annoying, thought it would have not shown while TT is on.

I'm also running TTN6 on my M3100. Been running it now for around 6 weeks. No problems at all, I also use a BT handsfree microphone, Logitech (sometimes a Jabra) and they all work well with TTN6 running both for incoming and outgoing calls.

I normally use voice speed dialling to make calls, one press of the mic button and then speak, TTN6 then returns whilst I'm on the call but stays muted until I end the call, then it starts talking again....

Ain't technology great WHEN it works !!

Phil

Guest mattie01

i-go is still the best for me...

ever since ttn6, tried to take me on a 6 mile round trip, joining the a1m then coming off again and driving back to to almost exactly where i started...

nice... never trusted it since then....

Do you find the TT voice to be low volume, i have turned it to be full 100% inc the phone..

I'm also running TTN6 on my M3100. Been running it now for around 6 weeks. No problems at all, I also use a BT handsfree microphone, Logitech (sometimes a Jabra) and they all work well with TTN6 running both for incoming and outgoing calls.

I normally use voice speed dialling to make calls, one press of the mic button and then speak, TTN6 then returns whilst I'm on the call but stays muted until I end the call, then it starts talking again....

Ain't technology great WHEN it works !!

Phil

Yeah thats the other thing i was going to mention, but forgot, it does take you round the block for the same route,.

whats with that.?

might have to look at the i-go

ever since ttn6, tried to take me on a 6 mile round trip, joining the a1m then coming off again and driving back to to almost exactly where i started...

Guest mattie01
Yeah thats the other thing i was going to mention, but forgot, it does take you round the block for the same route,.

whats with that.?

might have to look at the i-go

i-go is really good for routes i find... turned it on when i first got it and just had it running when i was going to places i knew..

9 times out of 10, igo would take me the route i would have normally taken... which is one of the things i use to rate my sat nav software...

Guest FragMeister

saw that Gears over at coolsnartphone.com is doing a comparison of TTN6 and CoPilot (albeit on an mda compact III) sometime this weekend according to his rss feed.

Guest soup dragon

How do you use iGo on the Vario II when it says it only comes on either SD or miniSd and you cannot copy to your own card?

Guest Markrosoft

Over the years I've used just about all of these navigator products, and TomTom is still the best. I've had it on my M3100 for a while now and it works very well. I got a new GPS reciever just recently actually off ebay, which I have working with the M3100 and TomTom 6.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOMTOM-BLUETOOTH-GPS...8QQcmdZViewItem

£25 +Delivery for a 30 hour GPS receiver is an excellent price. I think the official TomTom one is about 8-10 hours.

Guest AndrewH13
Oh, and here's the car holder I got to go with it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOULDED-HOLDER-FOR-T...7QQcmdZViewItem

Hi Markro, is that a suction mount for windscreen? Think might try that (seems sensible to have active charger included in mount) with a 3way lighter socket adapter to add GPS receiver and mp3FM player.

Its like the need for increasing HDMI sockets on LCD/Plasmas, do you think cars will increase the number of lighter sockets with the range of add-ons becomming availble?

Guest awarner (MVP)

Want a decent holder then Brodit is the best you can get. They are designed for each handset and car, they mount around the air vent and not through it. I have always found mounts on the windscreen and grilles are always shaky when driving the Brodit does not have this problem.

It just depends on how much you are willing to spend, but I will say that after using one on my JasJar nothing else comes close.

Guest AndrewH13

I notice there are dedicated TomTom car mounts that charge PDA and TT Receiver, but have only found one for the MDA Vario rather than Vario II. Does anone know if this is a different fitting between Varios I and II?

Guest AndrewH13
I notice there are dedicated TomTom car mounts that charge PDA and TT Receiver, but have only found one for the MDA Vario rather than Vario II. Does anone know if this is a different fitting between Varios I and II?

Anyone have a Vario I and II? Could they confirm if it has a different charging/USB connection?