What's happened to my battery?

Guest nuttyphilt

Guest nuttyphilt

Hi,

I've been living overseas for the last 3 1/2 months where I've been using my unlocked Orange M3100 with a local PAYG SIM on the Optus 3G network. Using this I could get about 2 days out of the battery with push email, a bit of web browsing, etc.

I got back yesterday so today was my first full day back in the UK. I'm using the M3100 with my T-Mobile SIM to take advantage of Web N Walk, however I found that with the same pattern as overseas, my battery is just about dead - it's now approx midnight and I took it off charge about 7.30am - about 15 hours use.

What's changed?????? The only thing I can think is the HSDPA on T-Mobile but surely it wouldn't make that much difference would it?

Guest richard_d
Hi,

I've been living overseas for the last 3 1/2 months where I've been using my unlocked Orange M3100 with a local PAYG SIM on the Optus 3G network. Using this I could get about 2 days out of the battery with push email, a bit of web browsing, etc.

I got back yesterday so today was my first full day back in the UK. I'm using the M3100 with my T-Mobile SIM to take advantage of Web N Walk, however I found that with the same pattern as overseas, my battery is just about dead - it's now approx midnight and I took it off charge about 7.30am - about 15 hours use.

What's changed?????? The only thing I can think is the HSDPA on T-Mobile but surely it wouldn't make that much difference would it?

You're not in and out of 3g now are you? If the phone has to hunt for a signal that can use a bit more power.

Guest nuttyphilt
You're not in and out of 3g now are you? If the phone has to hunt for a signal that can use a bit more power.

I live in N London and work in S London so the 3G signal is 100% most of the time.

I noticed yesterday that I was getting Internet connectivity problems and problems making calls like other people have been reporting so I wonder if it's the network problems that are causing this...

Guest awarner (MVP)

If you live in the north and work in the south do you use the tube to get across the city?

If you are then this is where you are losing your battery power as the phone is constantly hunting for a signal without success when you are underground.

Guest nuttyphilt
If you live in the north and work in the south do you use the tube to get across the city?

If you are then this is where you are losing your battery power as the phone is constantly hunting for a signal without success when you are underground.

You're definitely right about that. I'm currently sat on a train at Waterloo after a 40 min tube journey and the battery is already down to 90%.

Guest nuttyphilt
You're definitely right about that. I'm currently sat on a train at Waterloo after a 40 min tube journey and the battery is already down to 90%.

Scratch that, it's 80% - ouch...

Guest jimbouk

I would put it in flight mode when on a tube journey and also try switching the phone band to GSM for a day to see if that makes a difference. All of the networks are having capacity problems with 3G at the moment.

Very odd, I just came searching on the forum for the exact same issue.

I saw various posts in the past from people saying that the battery life was abysmal, whereas I always got 2 days or more

Nothing has changed - I work in the same office, I am making LESS calls than before, always have push email, no wireless, good 3g coverage.....etc... and now I get to 15 hours and have 10% battery left. Today I have not even received or made a single call!

Power saving options are set to the most conservative, wireless is not turned on. Absolutely no software is installed on the phone of any kind.....

Guest nuttyphilt

OK, so today I'm sat at Waterloo again, but this time my battery is at 100% after my tube journey.

The difference? I uninstalled Fizz Traveller... Don't ask me why it made such a difference. Possibly the today plugin?

I was racking my brain about anything I did to my phone before I left Sydney and I remembered I'd install Fizz Traveller about 2 days before coming home...

Anyway, will keep monitoring it...

Edit:

It's now later in the day and the battery is not looking good... So Fizz Traveller is not the problem.

Edited by nuttyphilt

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Tony W
OK, so today I'm sat at Waterloo again, but this time my battery is at 100% after my tube journey.

The difference? I uninstalled Fizz Traveller... Don't ask me why it made such a difference. Possibly the today plugin?

I was racking my brain about anything I did to my phone before I left Sydney and I remembered I'd install Fizz Traveller about 2 days before coming home...

Anyway, will keep monitoring it...

Edit:

It's now later in the day and the battery is not looking good... So Fizz Traveller is not the problem.

I have the same problem, I travel on the tube in London for about 30 minutes everyday and my battery lasts about 12-15h with little use only push email. I'm going to try and see if flightmode or switching to GSM will help.

Thanks for the tips.

Guest Whitster

A lot of people have been having problems with battery life, myself included before I changed some settings around.

There's been multiple topics about (Which is why I reckon a guide on the things you can do to save battery life should be stickified as its obvious that a lot of people are having problems with battery and its only going to put them off the phone).

Anyway, one of them is this topic. It quickly details all the little things you can do sort out battery life. I've done it and I manage to get over two days battery life comfortably.

Guest mhickin

I'm another daily tube user and my battery life is usually less than 15 hours too, less if i actually have to use it.

My commute is about an hour (yes, it sucks), most of which is underground.

Someone mentioned switching to GSM as a potential cure. How do you do that?

Guest mhickin
I'm another daily tube user and my battery life is usually less than 15 hours too, less if i actually have to use it.

My commute is about an hour (yes, it sucks), most of which is underground.

Someone mentioned switching to GSM as a potential cure. How do you do that?

Just figured it out (via this blog entry):

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/200.../20/694229.aspx

I'll see what effect this has too and report back.

Guest ericmcintire
Is there some reason for this?

cause under FAQs on the cingular site for the 8525 there is a question that says "why doesn't my battery charge last long " then the answer said "make sure you use the wall plug NOT the usb to charge this phone"