Off Topic: The iPhone is official!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bennish

You may find 'finder' bears a striking resemblance to the search app that microsoft showed publicly in the early days of longhorn (before it was used in osx).

Just saying, not the best example, but I agree with you in principle. It's hard *not* to 'copy' things. If something's fashionable, it's fashionable. If everything could only be used once, we'd all be buying Motorola mobile phones because noone else would be allowed to make 'em :) (or whoever invented the first one).

The only thing that bothers me is that Steve always says 'they copied me', but Bill just shuts up.

Double standards bother me :D If Steve didn't whinge it wouldn't be a problem.

But yeah, like you said, everyone uses everyone else's.

I agree. It's damn sexy. And i usually hate the over-use of 'sexy' but it fits here :D

Just one thing... the flash/quicktime whatever demo on the apple site... how accurate is that? I'd love to see some actual video.

Guest finisterre

Hmmm. Looks quite good, but needs 3G and a memory slot. Built in GPS would ne nice but not essential.

Oh, and now Tom Tom need to write a version for OS X.

Guest Socrates
hello all,

..have they ? all i've found regarding reference to smartphone is...

"And the keyboard is predictive, so it prevents and corrects mistakes, making it easier and more efficient to use than the small plastic keyboards on many smartphones."

..maybe i've missed a page or too. in any case, its very smart and a phone, so hey ho !

pooks

Ah yes, I was half-mistaken. What he actually did was put up a huge graphic that said the word smartphone while he was talking then he said that the iphone is much smarter than a regular smartphone. He then directly compared the iphone to existing smartphones.

So basically, they are comparing themselves as above the smartphone.

Endgadget has an opinon on this:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-iph...t-a-smartphone/

Edited by Socrates

Guest fatcatz
Apple flat out called it a smartphone, though.
For Apple when is a phone considered a smartphone? It runs OS X but does that mean it allows third party apps? If it doesn't then is it still a smartphone from a Windows Mobile/Symbian user's perspective?

Quote from macintouch on iPhone...

Apple representatives said it is a "closed platform"

In this case I'll stick with my Windows Mobile phone :)

Edited by fatcatz

Guest wirefree90
It's nice, but the thing we have to remember is that it's a PHONE or Smartphone, not a PDA. It's not made for business users. It's made for the average user. And for the average user, it's damn nice.

I really hope HTC or someone is paying notice to this. It may push the bar for others. Especially with the multi-touch screen, i thought that was interesting when i saw it about a year ago.

One thing though... what's with the buttons? Is it just me or has apple practically copied and pasted the ones from Vista and WMP11? Especially when playing a video, you could fool me that it's actually windows media player lol

icopy.jpg

In that case Apple need to do something about the price $599 with a 2year contract ? Doesn't sound like a consumer phone to me.....

Guest Webreaper

I've just gone through the full demo of options, and there really isn't anything new at all.

The iPod stuff is all old hat, any mobile device (and most phones) can play music and video.

The phone stuff, well it's neat, but not spectacular.

"making a call is as simple as touching a name or number. In addition, you can easily construct a favorites list for your most frequently made calls, and quickly merge calls together to create conference calls."

I can do all this on my PocketPC.

"Visual Voicemail allows you to go directly to any of your messages without listening to the prior messages."

Neat feature, but it depends on the operator supporting it, and is really just a mix of CLID and voicemail.

"iPhone includes an SMS application with a predictive QWERTY soft keyboard that prevents and corrects mistakes, making it easier and more efficient to use than the small plastic keyboards on many smartphones."

Wow. Predictive text - that's revolutionary, not. And the on-screen qwerty keyboard is going to be as fiddly (if not more so) than any plastic keyboard. Believe me, I've tried on-screen keyboards, and for anyone with Kaye-like fat fingers they're hopeless.

"iPhone features a 2-megapixel camera and a photo management application that goes far beyond anything on a phone today."

Really? Better than anything available on Symbian or PocketPC? I suspect not. And most new phones now have 2-4Mp cameras.

Internet features look nice but...

"With its advanced Safari browser, iPhone lets you see any web page the way it was designed to be seen,"

Except that 99% of websites are built for IE. ;-)

"uses a rich HTML email client that fetches your email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos and graphics right along with the text."

Again, nothing new here. And Crossbow is due for launch later this year which will bring full HTML email support to PocketPC (although I hate html mail so hope it can be turned off ;-).

"With Google Maps and iPhone’s amazing Maps application, you can view maps and satellite images, or get directions and traffic information,"

So, erm, just like you can on any WAP or web-enabled phone or PDA?

"Phone even has widgets: small applications that give you helpful information like stock reports, weather reports, and more in real time."

Gosh, you mean like the PocketPC today screen plugins that have been available for around 5 years?

But the biggest p1ss-take is this comment:

"iPhone features the most revolutionary user interface since the mouse. It’s an entirely new interface based on a large multi-touch display and innovative new software that lets you control everything using only your fingers. So you can glide through albums with Cover Flow, flip through photos and email them with a touch, or zoom in and out on a section of a web page — all by simply using iPhone’s multi-touch display".

Sorry, but this is all just cobblers. Every PDA/phone with a touchscreen has had the ability to do this for years. To use the word 'revolutionary' is an absolute lie.

Fact is, the iPhone is a decent looking, nicely designed bit of mobile kit. It'll sell well because it's Apple, despite what will inevitably be a high price (unless Apple do the sensible thing and get into bed with Voda/Orange/O2 and bundle it with contracts, which I doubt they'll do). But given that currently I can get a device for £50 with a mobile phone contract which will do everything that Apple claims the iPhone will do, plus will have 3G, embedded GPS, an SD card slot (notably absent on the iPhone) and with a huge amount of software available for it, I am genuinely unimpressed by the Apple offering. That's not just Mac-bashing, it's me being realistic about features vs price point.

Guest Ingvarr

No stylus eh? How do you suppose to click, say, on browser links (judging from their browser screenshots)?

Granted, many interface elements can be made large enough, but for many you will have to carry stylus in the pocket anyway.

Unless Iam missing something in their "new tapping scheme".

Guest bennish

But the biggest p1ss-take is this comment:

"iPhone features the most revolutionary user interface since the mouse. It’s an entirely new interface based on a large multi-touch display and innovative new software that lets you control everything using only your fingers. So you can glide through albums with Cover Flow, flip through photos and email them with a touch, or zoom in and out on a section of a web page — all by simply using iPhone’s multi-touch display".

Sorry, but this is all just cobblers. Every PDA/phone with a touchscreen has had the ability to do this for years. To use the word 'revolutionary' is an absolute lie.

I guess the 'multi-touch' thing is kinda revolutionary compared to standard touch. Although it's not like apple invented it.

I guess the thing they're claiming to be better than, is your standard motorola razr kinda consumer stuff. Which I guess they've done well - the kinda features those users want. But not really the kind ppl like us do.

I do get sick of Steve's reality distortion field tho. I agree there webreaper, i don't like his silly 'we're leading the revolution' crap. As if having a scroll button on the 'mighty' mouse was an innovation...

Edited by bennish

Guest Ingvarr

Also about this "you only need two fingers" - what about single-handed usage? Imho device without good single-handness couldnt be really called "smartphone".

Edited by Ingvarr

If accurate, THIS may dampen some enthusiasm...

Notably the facts that...

A. "...the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates."

B. "No expandable memory."

C. "No removable battery." !!!

Caveat Emptor!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I think the fact it's a closed platform is a real bummer. Non expandable memory people can probably live with, battery is also a problem if (as I suspect) battery life sux!

P

Guest osiris8

I think it looks spectacular. I know how it's going to be though, forget syncing with Exchange etc.

So what we need is a PPC clone of the iPhone, who do you think will make the first?

Guest Swampie

It comes in 4GB or 8GB models? How many users generally need more than that? Not having a external memory slot is not a problem really.

With regard to the touch screen - I've not used a touch screen phone which has allowed me to use my fingers 100% reliably for input. Generally I have to use my fingernail, or try a couple of taps. My blunt squishy fingers don't work well on my Vario. The iPhone looks like it works very well in that resepect.

I'm a WM guy - don't own any Apple products - but I must admit, the iPhone looks neat, has a great UI and is quite tempting. Okay, I wouldn't pay the price they're suggesting - but if someone gave me one, I could easily see it becoming my main phone.

Credit where it's due - the UI on that, along with it's responsiveness and graphical smoothness - it does seem a lot better than any phone I've seen. Scrolling through the album cover art was very impressive! I can hardly believe it was real - but it was!

Edited by Swampie

Guest scott2eyes

This is going to rely on a good touchscreen- more what I'm used to with my Nintendo DS than with my XDA mini-S.

I don't know how much the "closed" platform is going to be an issue- bearing in mind that the Windows Mobile platform was (for people who had something like the MPx200 on Orange) effectively a closed platform for a long time- developer unlocks notwithstanding...

At the very least, this should put a fire under the PDA market- more competition, more attention and greater expectations (for a PDA for the iPod market, rather than for the early adopter/ubergeek market) can only be a good thing.

I'm really curious as to how it's going to fit into the UK market (where traditionally, we get our devices cheap/free from the networks) and how much it will actually cost us...

Guest nickcornaglia

I may be repeating thought from above posts, but I'll list my thoughts...

This phone will not have a full version of OSX. Like WINDOWS phones...it will be a familiar experience, but no where close to being a FULL Desktop version. There is no need within a device of that type and size.

Apple make beautiful devices across the board. Style, Simplicity balanced with power. Waaaay ahead of ANY competition. And consistent across the board as well. I have always been curious, but have never brought myself to buy an Apple device, PC nor iPod.

Speaking of iPods...they are beautiful devices that do their job well. Long battery life. Simple interface.

But I still dont want one. I have no use for it. I'll take the hard drive and battery life...but dont need much more from it.

The iPhone is obviously based on the iPod. I think of it as a evolution of the iPod rather than an new product entry into the smartphone market.

Someone decided to add internet connectivity to an iPod, add a larger screen, and update the interface to include more functionality. They didnt decide to make a device that enters into the Smartphone market. Not yet at least. The iPhone was the result.

Obviously, a true Apple competitor to WM phones is not far off in the future though.

MS learned from Apple and have implemented their spin within Vista. They should do the same with Smartphones and PPCs. Not only within the software, but with Hardware innovation as well.

Apple has a sleek solid line of products. But there is no diversity within it's hardware. MS has hundreds of manufacturers under their belt and we are better off for that.

PPCs and Smartphones still leap over the iPhone IMO. Again, MS could learn a bit from the iPhone as far as style. But Apple has a long way to go in the functionality department.

If you want to join the flock of sheep with white earbuds hanging out of their ears...get an iPhone and have the same phone as every other Mac fanboy who all have the same G5 or Powerbook.

If you want greater functionality, infinite expandability, and diversity of products....stick with WindowsMobile.

I was brainwashed for half a day, caught up in the iPhone hype. I have since come to my senses.

Taken from elsewhere... (With permission)

"Well...

We have the 'DumbPhone' For those who prefer or need simplicity of use...

The 'SmartPhone' for users who appreciate and are able to make good use of the advanced functionality incorporated...

And now we have... The iPhone.. An 'IntermediatePhone', designed for those who wish to dip a tentative toe into the deep waters of technology perhaps? Those for whom the DumbPhone is too simple and for whom the SmartPhone is too complex?

Apple knows it's market well, as has been proved in the past... They aim at those who want a slice of high technology, coupled with style and supreme ease of operation, regardles of whether or not the fashionable device is the most efficient, best-performing or even the best value for money. They've catered very successfully to the demands of this relatively uncritical, easily-swayed by mass-advertising market for quite some time now...

However, with the iPhone, as many enthusiastic buyers will be iPod afficionados, I suspect that some may find it a comparatively steep learning-curve to operate... and those who do manage to master it will soon realise, despite one or two innovative functions, just how limited it is, compared to state-of-the-art smartphones..." :)

Edited by Sp00k

Guest Pagemakers

I'm not an Apple man - don't own anything Apple apart from the ipod but I have to say I think this phone knocks spots off anything I have ever seen by a long shot.

It is the only phone that will make me move away from windows phones.

Personally I think its leaps and bounds ahead of it closest rival and shame on the existing phone manufacturers for years of the 'same old same old'.

I just hope that by the time it gets here it will have 3g. I'd also like to see some sort of today screen or at least the ability to have the calendar on the home screen.

Does anyone know if the US version will work here in the UK?

I'm not an Apple man - don't own anything Apple apart from the ipod but I have to say I think this phone knocks spots off anything I have ever seen by a long shot.

It is the only phone that will make me move away from windows phones. >snip

Wouldn't you also like to be able to run third-party apps on it? :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.