Google Maps released for Windows Mobile

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Google have today released Google Maps for Windows Mobile!

post-1-1170367857_thumb.png

Posted here on the official Google Blog. From the blog entry...

Like other versions of Google Maps for mobile, with this Windows Mobile version you can find businesses and see real-time traffic updates, along with unique features like contacts integration, GPS support, draggable maps, and tap and hold menus.

Head over to http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html for more details, or point your mobile device at http://www.google.com/gmm.

It's interesting to see Google first native Windows Mobile application... don't be surprised if more follow soon!

P

Via jkOnTheRun

Guest Syphon Filter
Having a play now (XDA Orbit) and it's pretty cool!

Not hooked up the GPS features yet tho...

P

Just installed it on my Hermes (M3100). Works really well. I like it a lot, much better than the old Java one.

Not tried with GPS either.

Works very well i must say. Not sure how much it's using the old HSDPA, but I like it.

Guest Sogarth
It seems to work faster than the MS equivalent (http://wls.live.com)...

Thing is, that's the only point I've seen where it's better than Windows Live Search Mobile. There are a couple of things where it's better than Virtual Earth Mobile, but on every other point, Windows Live Search Mobile outclasses it.

Guest pd.ryder
Thing is, that's the only point I've seen where it's better than Windows Live Search Mobile. There are a couple of things where it's better than Virtual Earth Mobile, but on every other point, Windows Live Search Mobile outclasses it.

I'm sure WLS is marvellous if you live in the States. Not so hot on searches for us in the UK tho... :)

Guest benwatt

It's a great little application, tried it on both my iPaq hx2750 and my SPV C600. On the iPaq I gave it a go with GPS, works flawlessly. If anyone's interested I wrote up my thoughts on it over on my blog here last night.

Guest kurtfhouse
It does do UK searches tho, which Google Maps doesn't appear to.

P

What do you mean by searches? It found my house ok last night in Bristol, UK :)

Guest flashflash
What do you mean by searches? It found my house ok last night in Bristol, UK :)

OK, finds location by UK postcode

GPS, this does work. However, the only way i could get it to recognise the bluetooth GPS is to go Settings > Connections > GPS > Hardware. Then assign the hardware port the correct COM number that your bluetooth GPS is registered to. Then when you select GPS in google it works.

I have a Hermes (MDA II) so not sure if its the same for everyone else. I had first enable the hidden GPS settings in WM5 by changing the registry.

Guest flashflash
OK, finds location by UK postcode

GPS, this does work. However, the only way i could get it to recognise the bluetooth GPS is to go Settings > Connections > GPS > Hardware. Then assign the hardware port the correct COM number that your bluetooth GPS is registered to. Then when you select GPS in google it works.

I have a Hermes (MDA II) so not sure if its the same for everyone else. I had first enable the hidden GPS settings in WM5 by changing the registry.

One final thing... since the download was only small, I installed it on the device. However, its caching using the device memory! So time to uninstall and reinstall on the storage card.

Edited by flashflash

Guest flashflash
One final thing... since the download was only small, I installed it on the device. However, its caching using the device memory! So time to uninstall and reinstall on the storage card.

Oh well, looks like where ever you install it, it caches the data in the main memory not the storage card! :)

Guest musicinstinct
Oh well, looks like where ever you install it, it caches the data in the main memory not the storage card! :)

anyone know how to force this app to cache onto the storage card?

other wise great app. not sure which i prefer: google maps or map24. i think it will come down to which uses less data!

Guest harrysaab

im having same problems too, installed it on imate sp5, works fine, but after browsing map for few mins, it says Memory Low!! :)

tried looking in RegEdit but couldn't find anything where I can change Cache path to Storage Card.

anyone know how to force this app to cache onto the storage card?

other wise great app. not sure which i prefer: google maps or map24. i think it will come down to which uses less data!

Guest LiverpoolFCfan
Google have today released Google Maps for Windows Mobile!

post-1-1170367857_thumb.png

Posted here on the official Google Blog. From the blog entry...

Head over to http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html for more details, or point your mobile device at http://www.google.com/gmm.

It's interesting to see Google first native Windows Mobile application... don't be surprised if more follow soon!

P

Via jkOnTheRun

It says in the middle of the T's & C's that Google will pay the cost of the TEXT MESSAGES sent to your device - but your carrier may charge you for receiving them ???? :)

Is this using silent SMS messages to trigger map reloads - e.g. for a moving car - or is there something else going on here ?

Guest harrysaab

how do u configure google maps to use your bluetooth gps with imate sp5?

my bluetooth gps works fine with tomtom but not sure how to make it work with google maps, it gives error saying not found/not working...

can anyone help plz

thanks.

Finally, thanks for posting it!

I'm trying to work out why the pushpin for Norwich is out of place... :)

Will be trying the GPS option

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.