Hermes has a builtin GPS Chip?

Guest FragMeister

Guest FragMeister

Just saw this topic on xda-developers stating that the chipset inside the Hermes INCLUDES GPS!!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=291181

I dont know how far progressed they are with getting it working but installing an alternative ROM from another device works.

It would be fantastic if it's true, and would indeed make the Hermes king of the hill!

Just saw this topic on xda-developers stating that the chipset inside the Hermes INCLUDES GPS!!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=291181

I dont know how far progressed they are with getting it working but installing an alternative ROM from another device works.

It would be fantastic if it's true, and would indeed make the Hermes king of the hill!

I believe that the Hermes has the chip, however it seems that at the last count it does not have the antenna. If that is indeed all that is missing then a hardware mod may fix it. It could however not be the only thing missing, and may never work properly. Still a way to go, but progress is being made.....

Guest mikeeey
there is a chip, and it now can talk to the OS.

sadly it would appear that it's devoid of an antenna to actually get a satellite fix... so welcome to stage two.

but if u read on that forum, one guys got the gps working on his hermes... here's what he said:

"Guys IT WORKS... to all those unbelievers... I've upgraded the ROM in a chinch, installed IGO 2006 and with trembling hands activated the GPS:

1. Fix was almost immediate

2. Sat. discovery was beyond expectations - 7 Sats

3. Almanach saved (meaning next GPS off/on got me immediate fix)

4. GPS Accuracy (DOP) = 1.2

Now all unbelievers, eat your hats.

All remaining is to adapt DOPOD ROM to our Hermeses. Let's see now what we can do here."

now that makes me excited.

my guess that the reason a gps chip is in this but no gps software is so HTC can later provide a ROM update enabling it. maybe it will be a rip off and we'l have to pay for the rom, or maybe it's supposed to be a supprise and it will be a great rom update. im not sure.

i wonder if this chip is in the 8525 too... does anyone know?

hopefully... :)

Edited by mikeeey

Guest mikeeey
it'd certainly be cool if this turned out to not only be true, but was also useable - particularly as I'm taking delivery of an M3100 on Monday! :)

well im almost 100% sure it is usable, we jsut need to figure out how to use it. do u really think htc would take the time and money and plan it out to put a gps chip in there? its probably gonna be a later update or something.

Guest shandar

This is bloody amazing. The software seems to be working but the antenna is missing. One of the guys get their stuff next week, so hopefully we'll get the schematics and drivers by then. I just love my Vario II! Got a lot more than I expected when I bought it :)

Guest charmer

I'm keeping my eye on that XDA forum - trying to work my way through all 60 odd pages of posts but it's as slow as anything. I was excited about getting the M3100 anyway, but this really would top it off!

Guest mikeeey
This is bloody amazing. The software seems to be working but the antenna is missing. One of the guys get their stuff next week, so hopefully we'll get the schematics and drivers by then. I just love my Vario II! Got a lot more than I expected when I bought it :)

so i dont understand, why cant it use the internet antenna that it already has? there must be some way to use it, they put the chip in there for a reason

Guest chingy213

i just read the 60 odd pages, they detect only 4 satelites, the main issue now is only bad reception, where the reception is bad and navigational software is not working, altough the navigation software DOES pick up the gps unit.

I belive its a programming issue, more developemnt is required

Guest mikeeey
i just read the 60 odd pages, they detect only 4 satelites, the main issue now is only bad reception, where the reception is bad and navigational software is not working, altough the navigation software DOES pick up the gps unit.

I belive its a programming issue, more developemnt is required

but one guy said it picked up 7 satelites.

also, how can it not work, but picks up 4 satelites?

Guest shandar
so i dont understand, why cant it use the internet antenna that it already has? there must be some way to use it, they put the chip in there for a reason

Because the GSM interferes with the GPS signals received. The GPS must have it's own, separate antenna. One of the reasons HTC did not activate the GPS could have been that it had a problem getting good data due to interference. Also, they would've had to increase the price beyond what people would be willing to pay for it.

but one guy said it picked up 7 satelites.

also, how can it not work, but picks up 4 satelites?

Picking up a satellite and actually getting data from it is two different things. For a GPS to work and get a good fix on your position it needs at least 40% signal strength from each satellite. The one in the hermes picks up four satellites but with only 20-30% reception, hence the need for an external antenna. It also seems like the IDs of the satellites are wrong, thus the GPS is not picking up satellites at all, rather some random data.

Besides, the guy that said that he got 7 satellites was with 99% certainty lying. It was posted almost three weeks before anyone else managed to get their GPS working...

Edited by shandar

Guest FragMeister

I would say that the economy of production of a number of devices containing the same QualComm chipset, even if for the Hermes this means including (unusable) GPS capabilities, is cheaper for HTC than to source/test/integrate than it would be to use different internals all the time.

Fingers crossed this would become usable, even if only in areas of good satellite signals for when I don't have my bluetooth GPS, esp with new wlm/google map software

Guest mikeeey
Because the GSM interferes with the GPS signals received. The GPS must have it's own, separate antenna. One of the reasons HTC did not activate the GPS could have been that it had a problem getting good data due to interference. Also, they would've had to increase the price beyond what people would be willing to pay for it.

but if they didnt get good date value then they would have taken it out to save money.

also i think the gps chip in this phone is what makes it a $600 dollar phone. thats probably why its a really expensive pocket pc.

there has to be a reason why its so much expensive than other pocket pcs and why they havnt taken the chip out.

Guest mikeeey
but if they didnt get good date value then they would have taken it out to save money.

also i think the gps chip in this phone is what makes it a $600 dollar phone. thats probably why its a really expensive pocket pc.

there has to be a reason why its so much expensive than other pocket pcs and why they havnt taken the chip out.

here on xda developers theres an application and one of the settings says "Enable GPS Settings"

see here:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...Hermes_Registry

about 3/4 down the page where it says fit4cat Hermes Tweaker.

does it do what i think it does? someone test this please

• 3 weeks later...
Guest martinwilliams999
1 question thouhg. wat exactly happens when u install a gps program on your hermes such as TomTom and activate the gps?

TomTom 6 on my Hermes (in Orange SPV M3100 guise) didn't detect any GPS until I switched on and paired my Bluetooth receiver.

I guess if the chip is in there, it needs to be given access to a COM port for TomTom to see it.

Martin

Guest crazyc
TomTom 6 on my Hermes (in Orange SPV M3100 guise) didn't detect any GPS until I switched on and paired my Bluetooth receiver.

I guess if the chip is in there, it needs to be given access to a COM port for TomTom to see it.

Martin

The Hermes does have a built in GPS chip - HOWEVER - it does not have an antenna and parts of the chip have been amended to save power drain etc. The end result is that there will be no hardware mod kit. One or two people (experts) MAY get a model working but it will be proof of concept. Everyone else has now given up and is discussing BT GPS units.

Guest mikeeey
The Hermes does have a built in GPS chip - HOWEVER - it does not have an antenna and parts of the chip have been amended to save power drain etc. The end result is that there will be no hardware mod kit. One or two people (experts) MAY get a model working but it will be proof of concept. Everyone else has now given up and is discussing BT GPS units.

but in june 2007 the htc p4550 (kaiser) comes out, the upgraded version of the hermes. and it has gps! =)

Guest sleighty
but in june 2007 the htc p4550 (kaiser) comes out, the upgraded version of the hermes. and it has gps! =)

... and WM6, and AKU 3.3, and 2.8Mp camera, AND 256Mb Rom, AND only 18mm thick, AND lighter than Hermes.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the specs really are, but I want one!

Will it be on Orange? ....if its due in June we may get it around September ;)

They should have some on trial soon.

Guest mikeeey
... and WM6, and AKU 3.3, and 2.8Mp camera, AND 256Mb Rom, AND only 18mm thick, AND lighter than Hermes.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the specs really are, but I want one!

Will it be on Orange? ....if its due in June we may get it around September ;)

They should have some on trial soon.

and rumor says maybe even FM radio (but i dont think it's true. i think they saw the "4550 FM shower radio" in google or something lol). im sure it will be on Orange. any company that already has the hermes will be upgraded with this phone.

but since we dont go off topic here we should talk about it here:

http://www.modaco.com/HTC-P4550-HTC-Kaiser-t252808.html

now as far as the hermes gps chip, an external antenna would be needed, most likely thru usb, wich would be very annoying carrying around, wich is why i want the p4550 =)

Edited by mikeeey