Just heads up for all of you who are waiting for Rosetta Stones for WM 5.0 release. Binaries will be posted on Friday May 11th, 2007
Thanks for all your links and help, just to give you a little info. There will be in total three programs (best part you won't need to download any external tools)
1. RosettaStones for Windows Mobile 5.0 - this is actual engine on WM 5.0 that tutors and tests.
- Phone Screen 320x240 (Landscape) - sorry for all thoes who have bigger/smaller/vertical. If there will be interest in the project I will make another versions.
- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 (You'll have to update your phone if you have lower version, download is free from Microsoft)
- Memory card with at least 100MB (depends really on what language you are learning and how many Levels/units you going to copy)
2. Rosetta Stones Converter - this software "Converts" existsting Rosetta Stones files to the format that can be read by Windows Mobile 5.0
- Windows XP
- .NET Framework 2.0
- Rosetta Stones CD or files somewhere on the hard drive
- ActiveSync (this is needed to copy files between computer and your mobile once conversion is done)
3. Rosetta Stones Translator - this software creates "Instructions" for Rosetta Stones Converter on how to "read and decode" particular language. I will post manual with it.
- Windows XP SP2, .NET Framework 2.0
Getting RosettaStones files to Windows Mobile is not a "drag and drop" operation. Some files need to be converted (decoded and encoded back to Unicode), and shrinked to "adjust" for lower power processor.
This program creates and updates lang.xml file that contains all the instructions for RosettaStones Converter on how to decode files and what files to copy. Initialy since I only posses Spanish it will only support that version. If you have other languages you can run this utility and see if everything displays correctly. I was trying to do it as simple for user as possible so both translator and converter are "wizard type". I will post manual with it.
I have to wait until Friday because my internet at home is down. The service will be restored on Thursday so I should have everything up and running by Friday.
I never tested this program with any language other than Spanish, languages with different characters than latin might couse some problems... but we should find solutions as we go along.