The official O2 XDA Graphite 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

You don't see any Smartphones for ages, then they all come along at once ;)

I'm pleased to announce that I now have the O2 XDA Graphite Smartphone in for review. The review - with text, photo and video elements - will be online next week, but in the interim, you are free to ask me any questions you like about the new 3G ASUS Jupiter based device.

First impressions? Feels good in the hand, pleasantly light (106g!), and the joystick in particular feels very well made. Specs are good for a Smartphone device, so perhaps we have a hit on our hands... watch this space to find out! :D

P

21-Mar-2007_graphite.jpg

Guest Jakob
You don't see any Smartphones for ages, then they all come along at once ;)

Nice.. Sounds like Paul knows something we don´t :-)

First smartphone to be seen for ages - looking very much forward to a review

/jakob

Guest dm.wood
First impressions? Feels good in the hand, pleasantly light (106g!), and the joystick in particular feels very well made. Specs are good for a Smartphone device, so perhaps we have a hit on our hands... watch this space to find out! :(

P

Hmm..seems like it has all the bells and whistles. Actually Paul does it have HSDPA capability as well as UMTS?

I am considering getting one however visually it does not inspire me. ;)

Anyone else think the design is a bit dull? I may be forced to wait for the new HTC s730 or the Imate 8150...

Why is there always something else just round the corner :D

Guest looeee

I posted my thoughts here

Other observations:

No clock on the keypad unlock screen

I love the new scrolly start menu

You kave to hold the red button for an age before the keypad locks

I get ~200Kbps over wifi

The speaker sounds lovely but the volume is quiet. The headphones are quiet too. Having the speaker on the back, facing away from you is a bit silly when making a voice call or watching something streamed and you're watching the front of the phone.

Guest dm.wood

Hmm I suspect that's a mistake in the text.. :D

However there are also 2 processor speeds quoted in the overview..

Marvell PXA270 Applications Processor @ 416MHz

Marvell PXA901 Communications Processor @ 312MHz

I suspect that its the PXA270 that is the correct one... I think O2 need to proof read a little better ;)

Oh and only single band UMTS and WM 5.0 ...no HSDPA or WM 6.0 im slowly loosing interest in it now :(

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'll have a video online tomorrow about the device, in which i'll also show it with the Vox, G500, C600, SP5 etc.

/me goes and plugs in the camcorder battery to charge ;)

P

Guest nickcornaglia

I think I have Smartphone fever again. Think I want to sell the Herald and get a WM6 device when they are out. (I know you heard this all before!) All of these phones are making me miss Smartphones! I think I can honestly say that I am a Smartphone guy...not a PPC guy.

Now that I have gone off topic enough....this phone is just okay in the looks department.

Makes me wonder if all WM6 Smartphones will have the ability to rotate the screen...even if the form doesnt warrant it.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm thinking you know encece, much as I love the Vox, I love T9 so much - do I really need a QWERTY? Would I rather have a thinner Vox?

P

Guest Samsonite

hows the WiFi?

difficult one i know but hows the battery life, bearing in mind the 3G/2G crossover antics these devices have to cope with?

and even more subjective, which is the preferred weapon of choice? Graphite or Vox...?

Guest Paul (MVP)

WiFi seems to work fine.

Battery life is hard for me to quantify, as I have no 3G coverage where I am.

Weapon of choice? The Vox for me, WM6 - bigger screen... and no 3G required ;)

P

Guest Jakob
I'm thinking you know encece, much as I love the Vox, I love T9 so much - do I really need a QWERTY? Would I rather have a thinner Vox?

P

Haha... Sound like my words in another of our threads ;)

I´d definately prefer a Vox without the QWERTY.

Yes - the Graphite looks good and so does the specs - except for the lack of WM6.

Why-O-Why doesn´t HTC produce a front-line smartphone again??

/J

Guest nickcornaglia

Exactly...

But would the VOX be a VOX without the slide out keyboard?

One would just need a C600 with WM6.

The VOX is the only phone that has tempted me so far...the keyboard is nice...but not necessary at all for me. But thinner would definitely be better. I'd like a...

WM6 Smartphone

No Keyboard

Quadband + Edge + 3G + WiFi

C600 sized or smaller.

Super-Duper Battery

And throw in GPS if thats not asking too much

Guest nickcornaglia

I dont think that has the 850 band....at least not that I read anywhere. (Does it Paul?) Not crazy about the slide keypad...but if it makes for a bigger screen...I guess it's okay, as long as thickness isnt bulked up toooo much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.