I've an Orange SPV m600 in black on T-Mobile's Flex tarrif with Web n Walk. I got it second hand and have had it for a few months now. Its blinking excellent! In addition to the phone itself I have a 4GB card and a BT GPS dongle, plus BT stereo headphones for music listening and a BT earpiece for the car.
What do I use it for?
- As a phone. Its got excellent reception - the radio is shed loads better than my old HTC Universal. The sound quality is fine. Phone Pad means its easy to phone my friends without needing to get the stylus out.
- As a texting machine. I send texts using my stylus. Happy to do so. I use it loads for this.
- For email. I have a mail2web exchange account (free) and with Direct Push I get all my emails straight to my phone. It costs me nothing due to Web N Walk.
- As my diary. With Direct Push I have my diary synced to my phone and always up to date. And its free.
- As my address book. Again, with an exchange account this works fantastically.
- As my reading book. I have MobiPocket on here and about 30 books of various descriptions. I am never without my book when I have ten minutes to myself and fancy reading. I can read in bed and fall asleep and my book automatically remembers where I got up to.
- As an alarm clock. It wakes me up every morning.
- As my music player. I have 53 albums on my SD card at present. I have BT stereo headphones which I use when at work which are fantastic quality and the abilty to listen wirelessly is brill.
- Music in the car. I have a Brodit car mount and have my headphone jack plugged into the AUX-In on my stereo so I can play those 53 albums through my car speakers along with Sat Nav.
- Phone in the car. I also have a BT headphone ear piece so can answer calls in the car if necessary. All hands free and legal.
- Sat Nav in my car. I bought TomTom6. Wicked application. I've got the Traffic update subscription and with Web N Walk I get instant free updates to live traffic information and TomTom will reroute me around traffic to get there efficiently. I can navigate to my friend's houses using the Contacts option. Wonderful stuff. When overclocked to 247MHz the m600 happily handles Sat Nav and Media Player at the same time.
- Sat Nav on my bike. I'm a keen mountain biker. I use Memory Map (own all of the south of England and all National Parks) with my m600 mounted on the handle bars of my bike in a water proof case - which is also crash resistant. Its not broken yet and its great to have an OS map on your handle bars when riding. Fab!
- WiFi Internet browsing. At home when I want to look something up on the net or follow a link in an email I've received I simply switch on WiFi and it hooks up to my home Wifi net. That goes really quick. I never have problems finding or connecting to it. I sometimes use this in public hotspots too.
- GPRS Internet Browsing. If there's no WiFi available I'll just use GPRS. Okay, this is not as fast as 3G but its certainly good enough for most browsing I have to do when away from a computer or a WiFi network. Seeing as I work on PCs with full internet access and have a WiFi net at home I only need to use this when out and about so that's not all that often. And of course with Web N Walk its totally free.
And the thing is I get all this in a lovely small form factor which fits in my jeans pocket and doesn't look like a brick when held to my ear. Amazing.
There are only two things I can think of which would improve the m600. One is a quality camera - but there is no PPC phone which has one yet. And the other is 3G. But seeing as that only effects speed, not cost or availablity this is just a nice thing to have, not a requirement.
I don't know anyone else who has a phone that can do what my phone does. Every person who has a normal phone and sees what I use mine for is impressed. And they all think about getting one. I've so far converted three friends to PPC phones from 'normal' ones. They are all hooked as well now I think.
All in all - I love my phone!!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by Blakey, 22 March 2007 - 03:57 PM.