home network access over internet via wifi

Guest goodie07

Guest goodie07

is it possible to access my home network (harddrive) for file transfer when out via wifi hotspot?

do i have to create a VPN?

any help appreciated

Guest M1TNT
is it possible to access my home network (harddrive) for file transfer when out via wifi hotspot?

do i have to create a VPN?

any help appreciated

Hi there,

VPN software I would think is quite expensive as its aimed at corporate users. What I tend to do is I use Terminal Services ( remote desktop client ) I know the M3100 has a RDC built into it ( its usable but with out a VGA screen its not that great) You need to set up port forwarding to your PC that has XP or Win2000 or Win2003 server with terminal services loaded. The other way is to get software like WinVNC and forward the ports again to the same PC that has the service client loaded onto it. The down side to this is you only get a remote desktop feel to it and not file access. One way round that is via FTP put the files you will need access to in a FTP folder on the PC again port forward the FTP ports on your router to this PC/ Server to get access.

I have not played with VPN so I am not sure if you can map network drives via it or not.

Oh and so you don't have to worry about remembering your IP number all the time to get access to your home network do go and pay http://www.no-ip.com/ a visit so you can set up a dynamic DNS host name so you only have to type in something like myhomepc.no-ip.org into any web browser or client to get access to the PC

Thats how I would go about doing it and it does me well.

Guest bananas78

Or try www.logmein.com setup an account for free and access your PC from any location, I can confirm it works through the m700 either through wifi (if i;m lazy) or any other data connection