Hermes to get WinMo6 upgrade!

Guest Gerald.D

Guest Dr Who

The relevant section

"HTC is also offering WM6 upgrades for the most popular devices in its current range. This includes recently launched “messaging” products, which will enjoy the greatest benefits of Windows Mobile 6, such as the HTC Advantage, the HTC TyTN, the HTC S620, and the HTC P4350. The upgrade will also be available for the award-winning HTC P3300, plus some of our operator-branded devices. The upgrades will be rolled out from June, in line with our operator partners’ strategies. You’ll be able to find the latest releases as they’re made available at: http://downloads.europe.htc.com"

I am off to bother T-Mob to release a WM6 upgrade!

Guest proindigo
So how do we rate the chances of Orange releasing an upgrade any time soon (or at all for that matter!)

About the same chance as seeing elvis piloting a ufo, landing on the lock ness monster being applauded by a bunch of aliens who are smoking joints with Kurt Cobain on a day after Sunday but before Monday.

My motto is see how far you can take it and go past it.

Would love to see a t-mob upgrade but can't see it happening, I think the orange upgrade is more likely!

Edited by proindigo

Guest psionandy
I am off to bother T-Mob to release a WM6 upgrade!

Ok.. Flaming torches and pitchforks at the ready.. lets go and storm T-Mobile... (we can swing by Orange on the way back)

Guest crazyc
About the same chance as seeing elvis piloting a ufo, landing on the lock ness monster being applauded by a bunch of aliens who are smoking joints with Kurt Cobain on a day after Sunday but before Monday.

My motto is see how far you can take it and go past it.

Would love to see a t-mob upgrade but can't see it happening, I think the orange upgrade is more likely!

Oh well. Once you go Black, you don't go back......

Guest The Doctor
Ok.. Flaming torches and pitchforks at the ready.. lets go and storm T-Mobile... (we can swing by Orange on the way back)

Remember, always pillage before you burn ;)

Phil

Guest The Doctor
Will consumers have to pay upgrade license fees?

No – the usual licence upgrade fees are being waived.

w00t!!! ;) :D :(

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest pd.ryder
Oh well. Once you go Black, you don't go back......

All very well if you've fallen out with your warranty... :rolleyes:

It's on my list of 'Things To Do'...

:P

Now -- back to bothering T-Mobile... :D

Guest Dr Who

Sounds like I will have to force a replace of my phone for a screen alignement probelem next time it shows up and install Black........

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately there are no ROM updates available for the Vario II, and there are no plans in the near future for these to be available. I am sorry that on this occasion I cannot be of more help." - TMob drone

Guest The Doctor
Sounds like I will have to force a replace of my phone for a screen alignement probelem next time it shows up and install Black........

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately there are no ROM updates available for the Vario II, and there are no plans in the near future for these to be available. I am sorry that on this occasion I cannot be of more help." - TMob drone

Bah, if you want an official update then grab the HTC one, unpack, extract etc, shrink the IMGFS (more storage that way :rolleyes:), recompile, flash, install the ext-rom then install the Tmob ext-rom :P

Jobs a goodun

Phil

Guest pd.ryder
Bah, if you want an official update then grab the HTC one, unpack, extract etc, shrink the IMGFS (more storage that way :rolleyes:), recompile, flash, install the ext-rom then install the Tmob ext-rom :P

Jobs a goodun

Phil

Hmm, all very well if you're a Doctor of the Black Arts :D

I'm afraid you might as well be talking Yiddish (no offence Yidds...)

No reply to my most recent plea to T-Mob as yet, but I won't expect any more than The Doctor got :D

Guest Dr Who

Jobs a goodun

Phil

I might see if I can get it flashed by HTC when its released = warranty intact.

Guest pd.ryder
No reply to my most recent plea to T-Mob as yet, but I won't expect any more than The Doctor got :rolleyes:

It seems I got the same reply as The Doctor, almost word for word...

Hello Paul

Thank you for your email. I am sorry but at present we have no information as to if or when there will be a ROM update for the Vario II, all I can advise you is to log onto the below link which would advise of any new ROM updates available.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/pages.d...tware-downloads

I am sorry on this occasion I cannot be of more help.

Best Regards

T-Mobile Drone

Doh! Poo! Bah! (Take your pick!)

Guest Dr Who
It seems I got the same reply as The Doctor, almost word for word...

Doh! Poo! Bah! (Take your pick!)

Kinda different. Appear to be saying that they are not aware of any impending updates, which given that CS seem to be the last to know anything about their products is not quite as discouraging as the flat, "No" that I received. Still, an official update is on its way and one way or another will make its way onto my phone.

Guest Dr Who
Kinda different. Appear to be saying that they are not aware of any impending updates, which given that CS seem to be the last to know anything about their products is not quite as discouraging as the flat, "No" that I received. Still, an official update is on its way and one way or another will make its way onto my phone.

Just sent TMob a sh*tty email about the fact Orange are providing updates for their phone and TMob are not.

Guest pd.ryder
Just sent TMob a sh*tty email about the fact Orange are providing updates for their phone and TMob are not.

Sound like a plan to me.....

Job jobbed!

:rolleyes:

Edited by pd.ryder

• 3 weeks later...
Guest UndeadDevil
Sound like a plan to me.....

Any one had any luck with T-Mobile? I only just got the phone so I'm not going to attempt Black.

Guest pd.ryder
Any one had any luck with T-Mobile? I only just got the phone so I'm not going to attempt Black.

Nah, afraid not. T's CS staff know nothing about any future plans or otherwise. I'm assuming (hopefully) that this won't mean never, just a lack of current information.

I managed to get hold of the Black 3.0 OS from you know where but I too haven't had my Vario II for long and I'm reluctant to 'upgrade' at the moment. Hopefully, an HTC certified ROM will be available soon which won't leave us without warranty cover.

Guest pd.ryder

Like I said, that sounds like a plan to me :rolleyes: Pester power - if it works for my 4 year old daughter, why not growed-ups too!

:P

Guest crazyc
Nah, afraid not. T's CS staff know nothing about any future plans or otherwise. I'm assuming (hopefully) that this won't mean never, just a lack of current information.

I managed to get hold of the Black 3.0 OS from you know where but I too haven't had my Vario II for long and I'm reluctant to 'upgrade' at the moment. Hopefully, an HTC certified ROM will be available soon which won't leave us without warranty cover.

Will an HTC ROM help? AFAIK they will be released officialy only for the manufacturer branded devices. So sending it back to T mobile with an HTC or QTEK ROM on it is still breaking the T Mobile warranty?

Guest pd.ryder

Jobs a goodun

Phil

I might see if I can get it flashed by HTC when its released = warranty intact.

Some seem to think that's not the case crazyc, and that an official HTC ROM will do the trick without infringing the warranty.

:D

Guest Dr Who

My Vario II is currently stuck in bootloader and all this without even trying to upgrade the ROM! Sadly it didn't survive a stag do, so I need to get it replaced. Rather pleased I hadn't flashed until now, although I think having had it replaced I might give it a try.

Will an HTC ROM help? AFAIK they will be released officialy only for the manufacturer branded devices. So sending it back to T mobile with an HTC or QTEK ROM on it is still breaking the T Mobile warranty?

Nokia used to be quite happy to remove operator firmware at their service centres with no effect on the operator warranty. I am hoping HTC will take the same view.