Text Message 'perculiarity'

Guest Griff_FFOC

Guest Griff_FFOC

I occasionally get this issue on my E650

(amongst others i'm coming across :D )

When I read a new text message, then click on 'reply' (left soft key), it creates a new blank text message with the senders details in, as it should.

However, sometimes after it creates the new message I don't get a cursor in the message part, and if I start to type on the keypad all I get is numbers instead of letters, and the back key used to delete them won't work. I also notice that the icon bar doesn't have the usual input mode displayed, it still has the battery indicator.

I then have to navigate around and maybe go back to the home screen and press back to go back to the text message, and then I will get a cursor in the message, the keypad gives me text as normal, the back key works, and the icon bar indicator is correct. ;)

Just another strange one i've come accross.

Guest nowimboard

(amongst others i'm coming across :D )

When I read a new text message, then click on 'reply' (left soft key), it creates a new blank text message with the senders details in, as it should.

However, sometimes after it creates the new message I don't get a cursor in the message part, and if I start to type on the keypad all I get is numbers instead of letters, and the back key used to delete them won't work. I also notice that the icon bar doesn't have the usual input mode displayed, it still has the battery indicator.

I then have to navigate around and maybe go back to the home screen and press back to go back to the text message, and then I will get a cursor in the message, the keypad gives me text as normal, the back key works, and the icon bar indicator is correct. ;)

I've only had that the once, I just cancelled the message and tried again! One thing I have noticed, is there is no ' on the qwerty pad!

Guest Griff_FFOC

It seems it does this every time you first open the Text Messaging program (if you've closed it via task manager for example), and then reply to a text (ether by reading one and going into "reply", or holding the 2 key down on a message in the message list.

If you already have the messaging program open, it doesn't do it.

It seems like it's opening a new reply message, but the it doesn't have the focus properly. It then needs the up key pressed to give focus to the "To" field, then down pressed again to return to the body of the message.

Anyone care to test this?

Guest nowimboard
It's hidden (well ok, I'm being polite, it's not) - function + right arrow should see you '''''''''''''''ing happy.

Oh There it is! What's it doing all the way down there under my thumb?! :P :rolleyes:

Thanks

Guest mstephenson

(amongst others i'm coming across :P )

I then have to navigate around and maybe go back to the home screen and press back to go back to the text message, and then I will get a cursor in the message, the keypad gives me text as normal, the back key works, and the icon bar indicator is correct. :rolleyes:

I don't believe this is an E650 specific problem, very occasionaly I get the exact same text message problem you've just described on my C600. As you say the best way round it appears to be going back to the home screen, and then back to the message again. It's nothing more than a minor irritation (well for me anyways, it only takes a second or two to do, and happens rarely). As this is not a new problem exclusive to this phone though, I would of thought it could have been one of the issues they sorted out from previous devices...obviously not!

Guest scrattyrat

Ive noticed the problem on mye650 too. navigating up to the 'to' field and back down seems to make the cursor appear.

More annoying is that the 1/2sec multipress timeout seems to be MUCH slower than previous smartphones ive owned... Ive always used the lowest setting: 1/2sec, as i use abc input not t9, but the timeout on the e650 seems much slower. anyone else notice this? (ive tried rebooting the phone since i changed the setting in settings\accessibility).

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I've had this on my C600 too, usually when trying to start typing my message before its caught up opening the reply window!