Overall opinions

Guest crashd

Guest crashd

Hi Guys,

I'm an ex C500 user, which I loved (even with the dust problems and so on), I want to get a similar kind of phone, and the only one I can find really is the O2 XDA Graphite, other than the Orange E640/Vox. Can current users tell me their initial impressions on the phone, is it quite bulky? I had a p800 for a while and they were just unusable really. I really want to get this phone, but it' shard to judge from the dummy models in store :\

Guest adicken

Had my E650 for best part of a week now and it impresses me day by day. It's such a stunning piece of kit. I've had the full spv range in the past and this is by far the best yet. Mine has superb build quality. Yes it can feel a little heavy at first, but you get used to it and now i hardly notice it at all. It's not crashed on me once yet, plus it runs Tom Tom no problem (a big plus for me).

All in all i would recomend it. It's just the right size, is very usable and just gorgous!

Go get one!

Guest shadieb

I got my E650 from Orange yesterday and it looks and feels great, if ever so slightly chunky due to the slide.

I had a P990i for about 3 days as I couldn't get on with the sheer bulk of it. The E650 is nowhere near the size of the P990i and to me it feels very similar to my original SPV and the E200.

Only problem I have found so far with the 650 is trying to get it app unlocked and some of my old game favourites installed. Everytime I try and run the unlock from the Orange france site the phone says it is installed successfully and it has been disabled, but when I press okay to return to the homescreen the coloured timer pops up and the phone won't go any further :D

This also happened trying to install SPV pacman and summat else I can't remember but it was late last night :rolleyes:

Still looking forward to getting home and having another play with the E650. Shame Oblivion came out for the PS3 today and the missus has picked me it up, so not sure which will win :P

Anyhow, if its the size that is worrying you then it aint nothing like the P990i. Even my missus has said she wouldn't mind me getting her a 650 to replace her Qtek 8500 (Str Trk) which is a nice slim phone and you kow what women are like.

Guest shadieb
Love it!

Wish it had GPS tho :D

P

Hello Paul, just checked your join date (presume also the Modaco startup date) and my join date and I can't believe it was over 4 years ago I got my first SPV. I've had many different phones since and I always end up back with a Smartphone :P

I remember searching the net looking for SPV information and stumbling upon Modaco for the first time :D

Glad you are still going strong and looking after this place. We need somewhere to turn to with each new incarnation of the SPV :rolleyes:

Guest Griff_FFOC

I'm on the fence at the moment. I think I still prefer my C600 at the moment. The build seems fine, and the weight isn't too much of an issue for me, but it seems like it still has plenty of bugs in it. (I've found bugs in Text Message app, speed dial feature, and difficulty in connecting to certain routers so far) I've even had it crash on me a few times (normal useage) and after restarting it just sat at the screen with the small orange logo. Took another restart to get itself together.

Little things like the horrid bland Orange icons, the non existent missed calls screen (get the usual small icon and right soft change though), and poorly looking incoming call screen don't really help me make my mnd up about it either.

On the plus side it's a brand new device and it looks nice. :rolleyes:

Guest Samsonite
Hi Guys,

I'm an ex C500 user, which I loved (even with the dust problems and so on), I want to get a similar kind of phone, and the only one I can find really is the O2 XDA Graphite, other than the Orange E640/Vox. Can current users tell me their initial impressions on the phone, is it quite bulky? I had a p800 for a while and they were just unusable really. I really want to get this phone, but it' shard to judge from the dummy models in store :\

i've had mine nearly a week now and i am very pleased with it.

The dummy ones are not indicative of the weight but the unit has a solid feel rather than a chunkiness if you see what i mean.

The slidey keyboard is easy to use altho the blue illumination does make some of the shifted characters a bit difficult to see in the blackness of my patio at midnight... But thats where i use the WiFi and stay online whilst being banished to the garden for a smoko - so its not a huge issue.

The keypad is well spaced for my slender digits but i can imagine someone with slightly porkier fingers having a bit of a tough time.

The best bit on this phone is the screen. I've installed a DivX player from DivX.com and played some movies thru it and it is bright, crisp and doesnt go funny when viewed landscape like my magician did. That screen seemd to only want to be viewed from a portrait perspective. The sound from the speaker was ok but with headphones, it was top notch!

Earphones are going to be an issue for some as the USB socket is the heapdhone jack to but HTC are bringing out a y-cable that lets you power the phone whilst giving you a 3.5mm Audio jack at the same time. It was a tenner on their site but i dont know if its been released yet.

The performance of the phone is acceptable - not more than that. there is some lag ion screen flipping and if you have a few applications open the speed does drop - If you are running PIE, Audio Manager (built in MP3 player with playlists etc) and want to send a text, it does get a little clunky in terms of application swapping.

but overall, luv it. a good 8/10 . Now if it were 3G and GPS'd then that would surely be a 10!!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hello Paul, just checked your join date (presume also the Modaco startup date) and my join date and I can't believe it was over 4 years ago I got my first SPV. I've had many different phones since and I always end up back with a Smartphone :P

I remember searching the net looking for SPV information and stumbling upon Modaco for the first time :D

Glad you are still going strong and looking after this place. We need somewhere to turn to with each new incarnation of the SPV :rolleyes:

Welcome back :D

P

Guest jasnewt

I have found the speed of the phone to be fine so far. I have the HTC S710 rather than the Orange branded E650. I remember that my C600 ran a bit better when I installed an imate ROM which leaves out the Orange junk.

I love the fact there is a lot more storage space on the phone. Keeping a few MB free on the C600 was a struggle sometimes, especially with the bigger Orange ROM installed.

As for application swapping, try using XBar if you don't already. Amongst other things it acts as a task manager that brings up small window when you hold the action key, and it is very easy to swap between apps using it, or to end an app. I have read a report that the copy/paste function doesn't work under WM6 but haven't tried it. Still more than worth it just as a task manager.

Jason.

The performance of the phone is acceptable - not more than that. there is some lag ion screen flipping and if you have a few applications open the speed does drop - If you are running PIE, Audio Manager (built in MP3 player with playlists etc) and want to send a text, it does get a little clunky in terms of application swapping.

but overall, luv it. a good 8/10 . Now if it were 3G and GPS'd then that would surely be a 10!!

Guest vortexela

HI,

I received my HTC S710 yesterday (26/4/07) and have had a hard time putting it down :rolleyes: This is my second Smartphone device (my first was the re-branded i-mate SP3) and I am quite impressed by it. I have noticed a few bugs but nothing major...so far. Still haven't been able to get my o2 pay as you GPRS settings to work yet though :P

Michael

Guest Gajit
Only problem I have found so far with the 650 is trying to get it app unlocked and some of my old game favourites installed. Everytime I try and run the unlock from the Orange france site the phone says it is installed successfully and it has been disabled, but when I press okay to return to the homescreen the coloured timer pops up and the phone won't go any further :P

This also happened trying to install SPV pacman and summat else I can't remember but it was late last night :rolleyes:

I had this problem. Using Orange France's unlock tool does app unlock the phone, but seems to break the phone's installer in the process, so whenever you install something, it installs sucessfully, but gets stuck on the timer. You can press Home and carry on using the phone, but can't install anything else until you've rebooted the phone.

As far as I can see, Orange's unlock tool does too much to the security policies, inserting some massive numbers into the registry. I used Mobile Registry Editor to get all the policy settings off a working HTC S710 and them changed my E650 to match. MRE will work once you've used the Orange unlock tool. Mine seems to be working okay now, although I've not tested it extensively.

It's a shame Orange have blacklisted regeditSTG as that's so much easier to use. Managed to app unlock the HTC S710 with it no problem!

Guest vortexela
Are you using the HTC provided network settings wizard?

http://www.modaco.com/Network-Settings-Wiz...te-t254287.html

P

Hi Paul,

I tried the settings provided by HTC for O2 but they did not work. The settings appear to be for the contract tariffs and not the pay as you go...I've tried settings from sites such as http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html but none seem to work. After the phone tries to connect it soon after displays the following message: 'The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later'. :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

Michael

Guest El Matarife
Hi Guys,

I'm with you on this. I loved my C500 for all its quirks. I'd had it for over 2 years and if I hadn't lost it on a drunken night out last week I'd still have it now!

The E650 looks to me like the first real evolution in the "phone" form-factor (i.e. non-PDA-esque) smartphones since the C500. I should get mine tomorrow and I'm quite excited.

I loved the rocker control bar on the old C500 - I played Ultimate Doom from start to finish on the Hurt Me Plenty setting using that and it worked like a dream! I really hope the E650 is as good for playing games?

My biggest gripe with the C500 was the very poor quality sound playback. MP3s sounded awful, as did the audio on any music videos I watched using TCPMP. So I'm hoping that the E650 is a big improvement!

Also audio sampling on the C500 using RJV Sound Recorder was equally rubbish.

One big thing that I've noticed about smartphones over the last few years is that the processor speeds don't seem to be increasing much from 1 model to the next. After being able to play Doom and Wolf3D perfectly on the C500 I was hoping we'd have smartphones with processors that could handle the quake series by now!

Umm - there's no dust behind the screen problem with the E650 is there?

Guest shadieb
I had this problem. Using Orange France's unlock tool does app unlock the phone, but seems to break the phone's installer in the process, so whenever you install something, it installs sucessfully, but gets stuck on the timer. You can press Home and carry on using the phone, but can't install anything else until you've rebooted the phone.

As far as I can see, Orange's unlock tool does too much to the security policies, inserting some massive numbers into the registry. I used Mobile Registry Editor to get all the policy settings off a working HTC S710 and them changed my E650 to match. MRE will work once you've used the Orange unlock tool. Mine seems to be working okay now, although I've not tested it extensively.

It's a shame Orange have blacklisted regeditSTG as that's so much easier to use. Managed to app unlock the HTC S710 with it no problem!

Excellent thankyou.

I thought it was my 1gb microSD card at fault so bought a new 2gb and had the same problem.

I think the best course of action would be a factory reset and then try Pauls unlocking tool and see if that cures it.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for the info :rolleyes:

Guest shadieb
Excellent thankyou.

I thought it was my 1gb microSD card at fault so bought a new 2gb and had the same problem.

I think the best course of action would be a factory reset and then try Pauls unlocking tool and see if that cures it.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for the info :rolleyes:

Right I used the trial of spritebackup to backup my contacts and then hard reset the phone using the hold the 2 soft buttons and power up method. I then used Pauls unlocker and then ran the sprite backup.

The phone seems okay now with the installer completing the way it should but I am now unable to use a registry editor to alter any settings in the registry. Everytime I try and save any changes in the registry they just revert back to the original settings. I could alter stuff using the orange france unlock method but then the installer wouldn't work properly :P

Being able to edit in the registry isn't a big problem but I need to be able to change the MTU and MaxOutTransfer for the USB to work correctly on my PC.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Cheers.

Guest conan_troutman

may be not appropriate here but...

Love it!

Wish it had GPS tho

P

heard any news on the S730 (WINGS) it has GPS built in apparently and a scroll wheel other than that its the S710

personally if this phone ever comes to light then I think that will be my next upgrade.

Guest blowdart
I had this problem. Using Orange France's unlock tool does app unlock the phone, but seems to break the phone's installer in the process, so whenever you install something, it installs sucessfully, but gets stuck on the timer.

As far as I can see, Orange's unlock tool does too much to the security policies, inserting some massive numbers into the registry

It's not an unlocking problem. It happens on a locked phone as well.

Guest colonel_butt

The main feature of 3G is to reduce battery life by 30%. I would turn it off even if the vox had it.

Emails & IM run fine on GPRS. Web browsing is more of a function of the speed of device response. most people won't notice the difference between EDGE and 3G (although 3.5G/HSPDA is worth having). Web browsing on a small screen is always painful, so my HSPDA PC-Card for my laptop will remain my portable web-browsing solution.

I have a GPS device for my car and one for hire cars when I go on holiday. The last thing I would want to do is to drain my phone battery and hang it in a sunny windscreen.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of converged devices. Although its nice have some things together.

I think the vox is the best phone ever. It does my phone calls, sms, email, diary sync. and IM just fine.

The only extra things I would want would be a stainless steel or tungsten case, double the battery life and a vga screen .. but thats for dreaming :rolleyes:

Edited by colonel_butt

Guest peekie

No dust here , but normally where the dust came in was by the vol and camera buttons but these are on the lower section so that should reduce it, not a bad phone :rolleyes:

Guest GolfChick

so which phone shops actually have this in as a dummy version cos id be interested to see it close up rather than pics.