Orange release SPV M3100 (HTC Hermes) update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Eagle eyed members over in our HTC Hermes area have spotted that Orange have just released a ROM upgrade for the SPV M3100!

The download is entitled 'latest software upgrade for SPV M3100 - release date: April 2007 (exe, 48.7 Mb)' and is available on the Orange Business Site. No other information is given, and since we haven't flashed this ourselves yet... er... we have no idea what this update provides.

Have you installed already? Let us know! :rolleyes:

P

[Edit: This is an AKU3 ROM, and as such does NOT feature Bluetooth DUN. Do not flash if you require this feature (e.g. for use with TomTom all-in-ones...)]

Guest The Doctor
Eagle eyed members over in our HTC Hermes area have spotted that Orange have just released a ROM upgrade for the SPV M3100!

The download is entitled 'latest software upgrade for SPV M3100 - release date: April 2007 (exe, 48.7 Mb)' and is available on the Orange Business Site. No other information is given, and since we haven't flashed this ourselves yet... er... we have no idea what this update provides.

Have you installed already? Let us know! :D

P

First time I've seen the words 'Orange' and 'ROM Upgrade' in a while... :P

Kudos to Orange for releasing the Upgrade tho :rolleyes:

/me flashes hermes AGAIN :D

Phil

Guest The Doctor
Seems to be..

Bah, it's nothing new. AKU 3.3.1, Radio 1.38 with HTC_BOOT 0108, SPL 1.09

IMHO, its not worth flashing. There are newer radios (1.41) and better bootloaders (Hard-SPL) out there. Not to mention WM6, if you know where to look that is... But we don't give you massive hints like that here :rolleyes:

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Bah, it's nothing new. AKU 3.3.1, Radio 1.38 with HTC_BOOT 0108, SPL 1.09

IMHO, its not worth flashing. There are newer radios (1.41) and better bootloaders (Hard-SPL) out there. Not to mention WM6, if you know where to look that is... But we don't give you massive hints like that here :rolleyes:

Phil

Of course, but Phil, If I wanted to develop for the XDA and other windows mobile devices, which site would you perhaps point me towards?

Guest M1TNT
[Edit: This is an AKU3 ROM, and as such does NOT feature Bluetooth DUN. Do not flash if you require this feature (e.g. for use with TomTom all-in-ones...)]

Paul - Not sure if I do make use of the DUN or not with my TomTom - I run TomTom on my M3100 so will it be ok to upgrade my ROM ? You mention the TomTom all in ones so I take it you mean units like the TomTom GO and its family and not the software based TomTom loaded onto the M3100?

:rolleyes:

Help!

can I or should I upgrade the ROM ?

Guest mortalwombat
Paul - Not sure if I do make use of the DUN or not with my TomTom - I run TomTom on my M3100 so will it be ok to upgrade my ROM ? You mention the TomTom all in ones so I take it you mean units like the TomTom GO and its family and not the software based TomTom loaded onto the M3100?

:rolleyes:

Help!

can I or should I upgrade the ROM ?

I have flashed this ROM and TomTom Mobile 6 works fine on my M3100, (well, as good as it did before the ROM update).

MW

Guest martinwilliams999
Are Orange going to release a WM6 update in the future for the M3100?

Who can tell?

IMHO I think yes.

The only reason they would have to hold back is if there were a WM6 replacement for the M3100 just around the corner, and as far as I can tell, that's not going to happen this year.

HTC say they will release a Hermes WM6 update to operators next month.

If Orange want to go down this route, I guess it would take a couple of months to 'Orangify' the update and tweak it for general release.

After all that, there is the matter of cost.

When WM5 was released, upgrades for compatible 2003 devices cost in the region of £50.

I can imagine that this would increase by 20% at the very least.

Personally, WM5 does everything I want it to do, so I shan't be putting my hand in my pocket to upgrade.

Perhaps if any Orange code monkeys read this thread, they could throw us a bone... Inquiring Minds Need To know!

Martin

Guest The Doctor
I guess it would take a couple of months to 'Orangify' the update and tweak it for general release.

You mean fill a perfectly good ROM full of crap... :rolleyes:

Phil

Guest Zahid

I've updated the rom and seem to have lost some Today screen options. I dont have the 'windows simple', 'windows default', etc Today screen options.

When I'm not getting a 3G signal I'm now connecting to the internet using Edge with an 'E' rather than the old 'G' for GPRS.

Guest jayz1220

I just updated and I have the 3G icon at the top of my screen.

WRT the today screen, I assume you mean Settings > Today > Appearance. In here i have the Guava Bubbles, Orange2006 and Windows Default themes available.

Did your device run the Orange customization script after you calibrated the screen?

Guest Zahid
I just updated and I have the 3G icon at the top of my screen.

WRT the today screen, I assume you mean Settings > Today > Appearance. In here i have the Guava Bubbles, Orange2006 and Windows Default themes available.

Did your device run the Orange customization script after you calibrated the screen?

I have the same themes as you, but I had other themes before where the layout of the screen was different (similar to what can be seen just before the device runs the Orange customisation script). Also, I still have the 3G icon when I'm in 3G coverage. When I'm not, such as now, I have an 'E' icon.

The device did run the Orange customisation script.

Guest sketchmasterx

Tried updating the ROM but my phone restarts a the first step and when trying ot re-connect i get an error saying "wceusbsh.sys" is missing and it gives me the option tolocate it but i cant find it on my system.

Guest Sadlybrokeboy

I've updated to said rom and now I can't blooming well sync - not enough memory apparently!

Bah! Hard reboot number 3 for the week methinks!

EDIT - The problems with syncing were caused by my trying to restore my PIM data onto the PDA using SPBBackup and it appears that even with this different WM 5 - it doesn't work!

Once I'd tried again without the restore everything worked as planned! :rolleyes:

Matt

Edited by Sadlybrokeboy

Guest jayz1220
Tried updating the ROM but my phone restarts a the first step and when trying ot re-connect i get an error saying "wceusbsh.sys" is missing and it gives me the option tolocate it but i cant find it on my system.

Are you trying to run the update in Vista? Didn't work for me, and is not a listed OS in the support pages for the update.

I had to boot into XP, forgot that i didn't have ActiveSync installed and it came up with a missing file error (though i cannot remeber which file it was reporting missing). Once AS 4.5 was installed worked like a charm.

Is it potentially one of these?

Guest Zahid

The wireless modem program in the accessories folder has now been replaced with "Internet Sharing". I cannot now use the phone as a modem connected to my laptop in the way that I used to, using the dial up connection.

Guest The Doctor
The wireless modem program in the accessories folder has now been replaced with "Internet Sharing". I cannot now use the phone as a modem connected to my laptop in the way that I used to, using the dial up connection.

Just run internet sharing on the phone, select USB, press connect, then plug your phone into the USB port. Done :rolleyes:

Phil

Guest Zahid
Just run internet sharing on the phone, select USB, press connect, then plug your phone into the USB port. Done :rolleyes:

Phil

Thats what I thought, but as soon as the phone is plugged into the laptop I get the Windows 'found new hardware' wizard popping up, and the Internet Sharing's status on the phone reads "Check USB Cable".

EDIT: Now working - it would appear I didn't have Activesync installed on the laptop I was trying to get it working on. Tried it on another laptop with Activesync and connected to the internet fine. Installed Activesync to the first laptop and that's now working too.

Edited by Zahid

Guest peekie

I updated mine yesterday and it works fine no problems at all , find the green boot up yukky , tomtom now works for me without that freezing problem , i get both the 3g and g icons so it means if your phone shows the e its better as its way faster that gprs :rolleyes: as for wm6 on the phone its anyones guess but its a no from tmobile here ( holland ) so i would think its the same uk side :D only option will be a htc rom when its released :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.