Reminders not playing a sound

Guest Griff_FFOC

Guest Griff_FFOC

The next issue I seem to have;

Reminders refuse to play any sound. It vibrates, but that's about it.

If I go into the sounds menu, when selecting sounds in other categories (e-mail, sms etc) they all play, so the sound level is fine, but nothing I select in the Reminder option will play.

I checked the profile , and everything is turned onto sound, in fact even after selecting the Outdoor profile then going back into the sound menu doesn't make it play.

The only software I can think of that may affect this is Facade. Either that or it's never worked?

Guest jpa

for the next time :rolleyes:

just change the key to something else than 0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/SoundCategories/Reminder/InitVol

(found on www.smartphonefrance.info)

Guest Griff_FFOC

Cheers for that one.

Guest Rhinestone

Phew. Was just setting up a sound for reminder and then panicked when it would not play. Remembered I had seen this thread on here and the reg hack has fixed it.

Cheers jpa !!!

Guest Griff_FFOC

Just done some tests, and it seems that changing the profile is the culprit.

Changing it to SILENT or VIBRATE (using standard profile sound settings) mutes the Reminder sound as expected, but changing it back to NORMAL DOESN'T restore it. Everything else is restored fine.

It then requires the registry setting above modified to get it working again.

Seems quite a large bug to me if you change it silent at some point, and then back to normal later relying on reminders.

Who's the best person/place to report this bug too? Orange CS, or will they say "Thanks" and forget it?

Guest Rhinestone
Just done some tests, and it seems that changing the profile is the culprit.

Changing it to SILENT or VIBRATE (using standard profile sound settings) mutes the Reminder sound as expected, but changing it back to NORMAL DOESN'T restore it. Everything else is restored fine.

It then requires the registry setting above modified to get it working again.

Seems quite a large bug to me if you change it silent at some point, and then back to normal later relying on reminders.

Who's the best person/place to report this bug too? Orange CS, or will they say "Thanks" and forget it?

Thats a bit poxy. Probably means we'll all have to wait for the next major update from Orange. <_<

Guest Griff_FFOC

unless someone with Visual Studio or a similar app could create an EXE that will change the reg key:

to something like 2.

That way at least we could assign it it to a speeddial and restore the reminder tone after using a silent profile. Until the release a ROM upate that fixes this (if they ever do).

So, anyone fancy creating this for us/me, please :rolleyes:

Maybe another one could be an EXE that changes the display timeout registry key too.

Guest skazz

I've got this same issue on my Orange NL E650, and as far as I know I've never changed profile, however I did alter settings so that all alerts by default only play a sound and don't always vibrate too. It's most definitely a bug.

I just accepted the bug and switched the reminder sound to "vibrate". Not perfect, but better than having to keep altering a registry setting. It is really weird that only this one alert type should have the problem but all of the other alert types (including some totally pointless ones) are fine. You'd assume that the QA testers would pick this one up far easier than a bug doing the same thing to the "new channel message" (whatever that may be).

Guest Paul (MVP)

Interesting, i'll have to look at if this is an issue on the S710 too.

It should be straightforward to write an app that is triggered by the change in profile state (the state notification broker in WM5+ allows this) and sets the reg key accordingly.

P

Guest Griff_FFOC
Interesting, i'll have to look at if this is an issue on the S710 too.

It should be straightforward to write an app that is triggered by the change in profile state (the state notification broker in WM5+ allows this) and sets the reg key accordingly.

P

Thanks Paul. It will be interesting to see if that S710 has this issue, or if it's something broken by the Orange ROM.

Guest Rhinestone

More interestingly. I have a specific (non standard sound in WAV format) that I have for my reminder sound. Despite this being set in my SETTINGS / SOUNDS and being able to play the sound in the settings section, this will not play when the reminder occurs. The phone just vibrates.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Guest Rhinestone
More interestingly. I have a specific (non standard sound in WAV format) that I have for my reminder sound. Despite this being set in my SETTINGS / SOUNDS and being able to play the sound in the settings section, this will not play when the reminder occurs. The phone just vibrates.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Just done a Hard Reboot and this appears to have cured the problem. Curious as my Reminder sound worked without the REG HACK?????

How do i get into the registry to edit that reg key? is there a prog somewhere for that?

You need to Application Unlock your phone and then get a copy of RegeditSTG (still doesnt work for me) or PHM Registry Editor (This does work) and copy it to your phone.

Guest Griff_FFOC

or install Resco suite. This comes with a registry editor which you can run for 30 days trial. Doesn't require app unlocking either.

Guest saqmaster

I have this problem.. It's set to vibrate/sound for reminders.. it vibrates, but no sounds.. I tried the registry change, didn't fix it..

On a side note, i've set the phone ringer to vibe then ring, it rings but no vibrate! Very buggy!!

Guest yorkshiretaff

Hi

I've reset my phone for now as it's new, hence not much to re-setup, but I couldn't get PHM Registry Editor to install via the ActiveSync interface or by running the setup or .msi from the phone itself. The message saying there was no valid v6 software available (or something similar). Any help in getting this regedit tool installed greatly appreciated, even if it's just a hack to get it working until the proper fix arrives (though not holding my breath). The phones only 3 days old and does exactly what it says on the box so overall I'm very happy... just the reminders and profile issue starting to get annoying...

Thanks very much...

YT

Guest conan_troutman

phm reg edit exe is run directly from the phone not the PC its as simple as putting the exe on your SD card stick your card in your phone navigate and select.

or drag and drop via AS

Guest yorkshiretaff
phm reg edit exe is run directly from the phone not the PC its as simple as putting the exe on your SD card stick your card in your phone navigate and select.

or drag and drop via AS

Thanks for your reply and please forgive my seeming numptyness, but the file downloads from the web as a .msi and installs to your PC as a setup.exe with a load of .cab files. Is there something I need to do with these or... if I ask you really nicely... could you point me somewhere where I could get the .exe?

Cheers...

• 2 months later...
Guest Griff_FFOC

The way I see it;

The inital problem seems to lie in the normal.prof.xml fle not containing the settings to modify the registry to reenable the reminder tone.

If you modify the registry setting manually, when you switch to silent or vibrate the registry will be set to silence the tones accordingly. Because the settings are missing from the normal.prof.xml file, when you switch back to a normal profile, the registry won't be set to reenable the tones again.

You would have to set the registry manually, again.

I ended up overwriting my normal.prof.xml file with one I found elsewhere that worked, this seems to have done the trick.

Now whenever I switch back to a normal profile (from silent or vibrate), it reads the settings in the xml fle, modifes the registry and the tones work again.

This is the content of my normal.prof.xml file. Have a look in your "application data\profiles\normal.prof.xml" and see what is missing when compared with mine below.

<characteristic type="Normal"><characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKCU\ControlPanel\Profiles\Normal">

<parm name="Name" value="Normal"/>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Sounds">

<parm name="RingTypeAll" value="av0pw3r"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories">

<characteristic type="Ring">

<parm name="InitVol" value="4"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Alarm">

<parm name="Script" value="pw10pw10c110pw10c110pw30c110pw30c110pw30c110pw120c110pw300c110p"/>

<parm name="InitVol" value="5"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Notification">

<parm name="Script" value="v0p"/>

<parm name="InitVol" value="3"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Reminder">

<parm name="Script" value="v0p"/>

<parm name="InitVol" value="4"/>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Sounds">

<characteristic type="System">

<parm name="InitVol" value="2"/>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Guest conan_troutman

john cody kindly created a cab file to fix this problem, I have a copy but a search of "VOX omnisoft John cody Silent profile fix" should give a hit