Problems with Htc s710

Guest msaw

Guest msaw

After reading some forum threads, I couldnt find any answers to my two main problems.

First of all, the battery life is horrible. After a day of medium usage the battery has to be

recharged. I was trying many different things, but nothing would do any difference in

battery life. I have been reading about 2-3 days of battery life. No way. Not with my device.

Isnt there anyone who has traced the problem? Is there any fix I dont know about?

Second, what is this light sensor supposed to do? There dosnt seem to be any difference

having it on or off in the settings tab, nor is there any difference in various light conditions.

I could hold the device in perfect dark or under a 100 Watt light, there dosnt change anything.

I was wondering if this is some bug, fault or not implemented feature. A light sensor

is supposed to control the keypad backlight, the screen brightness. Am i wrong?

One last thing. Is there any setting to control the brightness setting of the device?

Thanks for your help and time.

Guest Griff_FFOC

I've not used my E650 enough to comment too much on battery life yet.

The light sensor bascially turns the keypad backlight on when it thinks it's dark enough for you to need it. Thus saving you a little battery power. It doesn't do anything to the screen backlight, just the keypad.

Guest msaw

After doing even more testing I can finally say that the light sensor is not working at all.

The setting under power settings is set to ON but even under a lamp the keypad never ever

shuts off. There is either something i am missing here, or the device is faulty.

Is there anyone else who experiences something similar or even has found a fix on this?

Guest peekie

seems the orange version has a better battery life then i get 4 days use out of mine , orange has screwed up the rom and htc the battery , we need a combined version :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Guest steeevc
After doing even more testing I can finally say that the light sensor is not working at all.

The setting under power settings is set to ON but even under a lamp the keypad never ever

shuts off. There is either something i am missing here, or the device is faulty.

Is there anyone else who experiences something similar or even has found a fix on this?

The light sensor seems to work when you set 'Enable Light Sensor' to off.... Makes perfect sense :)

Guest manktelow

I'm only getting about 1 - 1.5 days of light use out of my S710 - so I put acbPowerMeter (http://www.acbpocketsoft.com/Products/acbP...Overview-2.html) on, and found it's acting rather strange! I rebooted the phone, and got a reported power use of 200mA (which would give a battery life of about 5 hours) with nothing running. No WiFi or Bluetooth. Just basic cell. Having left it alone for an hour, during which it sat at 200ma I put it in and out of flight mode. Now it's reading 15-21mA which would give around 50-70hrs. Still short of what HTC claim - but better than what I'm seeing.

Of course I've no idea how accurate acbPowerMeter is...

Guest Menneisyys
I'm only getting about 1 - 1.5 days of light use out of my S710 - so I put acbPowerMeter (http://www.acbpocketsoft.com/Products/acbP...Overview-2.html) on, and found it's acting rather strange! I rebooted the phone, and got a reported power use of 200mA (which would give a battery life of about 5 hours) with nothing running. No WiFi or Bluetooth. Just basic cell. Having left it alone for an hour, during which it sat at 200ma I put it in and out of flight mode. Now it's reading 15-21mA which would give around 50-70hrs. Still short of what HTC claim - but better than what I'm seeing.

Of course I've no idea how accurate acbPowerMeter is...

Please do follow my articles - they're cross-posted to the more generic forums here. In the one I've elaborated on the acb* stuff in, I've also explained the battery meter doesn't really work on TI OMAP CPU's.

Guest conan_troutman

ok here is what I think ....orange users get more battery life cos they do not have as many things running cos there all disabled....so that ends that argument..light sensor working backward who'd a thunk it...only Microsoft...also ensure your hand anit over the light sensor as this will cause ot to light the back light in bright conditions, which is why its so blood pointless....I am presuming they left the sensor at the bottom right under your hand when you are typing in stead of at the top near the ear piece where it could get a better reading of the current lighting conditions