Tomtom on Wizard...

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton

Can anyone confirm if "TOMTOM Navigator 6 Full Product - GPS Bluetooth With UK Mapping" will work with my Wizard and any other WM5 (and WM6) devices?

Thanks,

Guest Neil5459
Can anyone confirm if "TOMTOM Navigator 6 Full Product - GPS Bluetooth With UK Mapping" will work with my Wizard and any other WM5 (and WM6) devices?

Thanks,

It should work fine- are you buying a separate BT receiver, or going for the TomTom package? Whichever, it is relativelyt easy to set up a BT partnership with the receiver. I'd run the TomTom software in main memory (about 5MB) to get over problems with the relatively sllow processor, and the maps, voices and Postcode database can reside on the storage card.

The TomTom receiver is reputedly very good- compact and quick to get a fix. You may need a bigger card though- the UK package is 200MB and Europe is about 1GB!

I ran TTN5 on my O2 MiniS without any problems.

Guest tsutton

I aim to buy the whole thing including the GPS receiver... found one for £114 brand new which I think is a good price.

Unless anyone found a better deal elsewhere?

Guest Swampie

Only word of warning is with regard to getting a new device in the future. I've got TTN5 with Vario and TT link my 'unique device ID' to my TTN5 product key, so I cannot install it on another device. Apparently you can (in theory) request TT break the link when you get a new device, but this is an undocumented benefit (ie. it's not listed on their website anywhere) and apparently they need things like proof of original purchase of handset and TTN5, and proof of purchase of new device.

My concern is when I upgrade in the summer whether I'll be able to transfer it across to my new device, and what happens if it doesn't then work on the new device (eg. WM6). You can't try it out without activating it, and once you've activated it, you can't go back to your old one!

Just something to think about if you might be upgrading in a month or two. Also, this applies to TTN5, I don't know what activation methods are in TTN6.

Guest tsutton

Yeah, I've heard about it and it's one of the thing that annoys me.

But I will have all proof of paperwork anyway... so I think it should be fine. (well I hope so!)

Guest Neil5459

TTN5 and TTN6 both allow 2 activations, as long as there is at least 7 days between them.

When you buy, or download TomTom maps, you are given a Product Code. During the installation on a device, you are given the opportunity of automatic or manual activation. Auto is fine for the 1st device, but won't work for a 2nd device, so choose Manual.

When you choose Manual, the device displays a page with 'Device Code' on it; once you have the Device Code, and the Product Code, head off to TTCode and select English Activation. From there, you can enter the 2 codes, and a new Activation Code will be generated, and displayed immediately. Back on the device, enter this new Activation Code, and TomTom will start.

This will work for the 2nd device, but not any more than that. TomTom allow a 3rd activation, as long as its at least 6 months from the 1st, but will ask for proof of purchase of the new device.

Guest hotphil

Might not be an issue, but does that activation process throw a wobbly if you hard reset the device and reinstall?

I got the CoPilot package with my Vario and it concerned me, luckily though as long as I've got the licence key, it's a doddle to reinstall after each hard reset (and even on to other devices if I have to switch for a short while).

Guest Swampie

I've done firmware upgrades on my device and the 'unique' hardware code is the same after the update. AFAIK, Windows Mobile has a function to product a unique hardware code (not the IMEI) which can be used for just these purposes.

Guest Swampie
TTN5 and TTN6 both allow 2 activations, as long as there is at least 7 days between them.

When you buy, or download TomTom maps, you are given a Product Code. During the installation on a device, you are given the opportunity of automatic or manual activation. Auto is fine for the 1st device, but won't work for a 2nd device, so choose Manual.

When you choose Manual, the device displays a page with 'Device Code' on it; once you have the Device Code, and the Product Code, head off to TTCode and select English Activation. From there, you can enter the 2 codes, and a new Activation Code will be generated, and displayed immediately. Back on the device, enter this new Activation Code, and TomTom will start.

This will work for the 2nd device, but not any more than that. TomTom allow a 3rd activation, as long as its at least 6 months from the 1st, but will ask for proof of purchase of the new device.

Brilliant - thanks for that very helpful information. It really should be a sticky or something! My only question is whether doing the 2nd activation code would invalidate the 1st - ie. if moving to a HTC Kaiser, activated and found it didn't work on there, so go back to my Vario and have to re-install - would it then still activate?

Guest Neil5459
Brilliant - thanks for that very helpful information. It really should be a sticky or something! My only question is whether doing the 2nd activation code would invalidate the 1st - ie. if moving to a HTC Kaiser, activated and found it didn't work on there, so go back to my Vario and have to re-install - would it then still activate?

No, all your previous Activations remain listed on the TTCode site once you enter your Product Code. At one time I had a list of 4 Device Code/Activation Code combo's listed due to having used my 2 allowed activations, a new 'condoned' activation from TomTom after buying, and supplying proof for a new device, then another one as the new device turned out to be faulty, and had to be replaced.

TomTom support were excellent throughout, as long as I supplied the correct information!

Also, remember that Activations are map specific, so buying a new region, or updating to a new map will start the 'activation clock' again, allowing you your 2 activations for that map. Interestingly, it seems to work 'cross platform' as well- I had a TomTom One all-in-one which is supplied with a product code. I was able to use that product code to validate a UK map activation on my PPC version of TTN5.

Edited by Neil5459

Guest tsutton

Ordered it yesterday, got it today.

Looking good! The GPS device is sexy. :rolleyes:

I have also ordered the 2GB memory card, waiting for it to arrive, hopefully tomorrow.

Then I will do a hard reset on my phone and start from clean - too many crap software installed on it!

Guest Neil5459

One small word of caution- not sure how appropriate it is.

I upgraded the ROM on my SPV M700 yesterday, and for the first time ever, the Device Code changed, meaning I've had to approach TomTom for a new activation request. Not sure how they will react to that. All my previous ROM updates had retained the same Device Code, so I really don't know why this one changed.