i600 Alarm - how to get it to wake when phone is off?

Guest mikehayes

Guest mikehayes

I used to use other phones (D900, e61 etc) as an alarm to wake me in the morning. I could turn these phones off (so as not to disturb during the night) and they would wake from a powered off state.

Anyone worked out how to do the same for i600? or is this a wider problem with WM5?

Thanks...

Guest tsakattack

So far SGH-i600 is my fourth wm device (previous: motorolla mpx 200, qtek s200, HTC p3600) all of them had the same problem....

Guest orcinus

It's not a problem, it's a "feature" :P

According to Microsoft, "when the phone is off, the phone is off". That's their official standpoint on alarms and alerts when the phone is... well... off :rolleyes:

Edited by orcinus

Guest MitchellO

I wouldn't want my alarm going off if I had turned my phone off. Why not just turn it on if you want to have the alarm go off? Put it in flight mode.

Guest mikehayes
I wouldn't want my alarm going off if I had turned my phone off. Why not just turn it on if you want to have the alarm go off? Put it in flight mode.

... battery drain

Annoying having to plug it in each night, just so I can leave on, just to get the alarm to work.

IMO - an oversight on MS' part - especially when this is targeted more to the business/traveller.

Guest Shuflie

In flight mode with the screen off the battery drain is similar to other phones that "switch off" but still wake you up with their alarms. Microsoft's method, it could be argued, is better than the way other phones operate. When you switch your phone off it really is off, and won't wake up until you physically switch it on again.

In your own terms think of a business user who regularly goes on long haul flights, with your D900, e61 etc. you get on a plane, switch your phone off and put in into your pocket/bag. During the flight alarm time comes around and the phone switches on to sound the alarm. At the same time it also switches the radio back on, so not only do you have to contend with the embarrassment of getting your phone out to switch the alarm off, it could also interfere with the plane (if airlines are to be believed). With a MS Smartphone you can switch it off getting onto the plane and not have to worry about it coming back on until you tell it to, whether your flight is 1 hour long or 16 hours. Which do you think is more business user friendly?

Guest MitchellO

Yeah, a plane is going to come down by having a mobile phone on.

In other news, airlines are trialling in-flight mobile phone services.

Gotta love it :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Guest MadSci

I've had a few times the alarm didn't ring as the phone 'froze' overnight. Not a very dependable alarm clock then. To prevent it, I do a soft boot (turn it off , then on) just before I go to sleep. I set it to "airplane mode" and it works 99% of the time.

MadSci

• 2 weeks later...
Guest X-Ray A4T

I discovered that the Alarm does not respect the silent mode setting. I woke up before my alarm went off and as my wife had had a late night studying I swtiched the phone to silent and got up to look after my 7 month old son. I had both a wake up recuring meeting in the calendar and an alarm set for 5:45. I know meetings do not play the alarm sound when in silent mode but at 5:45 the alarm still sounded and woke up the wife :) It has now been deleted!