Anyone tried a 2GB or higher microSD in their phone?

Guest paholman

Guest paholman

Just bought a 2GB Sandisk MicroSD card (not Ultra2), copied all my files from the 1GB card using a card reader and put into my phone.

Worked a treat. All Applications worked fine.

However, try to save anything, photos, videos etc to the card, it failed to write ,making it more or less useless.

Putting 1GB card back in, all fine.

I tried to reformat the card, nothing to do this on the phone, so did it via the card reader on the PC.

This fails with :-

The new file system is FAT32.

Verifying 1937M

Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

I've read around saying that you have to ensure you card reader is compatible with higher capacity cards, 2GB and higher.

This makes me wonder if the QTEK 8500 (or it's aliases) is actually compatible with a higher capacity card.

Anyone else had this problem, or know how I can get mine to work?

Thanks

Edited by paholman

Guest mini_man

Hello this maybe a silly question.

But sometimes Windows Mobile devices have trouble with cards that are formatted in FAT32.

Have you tried formatting it in FAT16? You may have more luck this way.

Sam

Guest paholman
But sometimes Windows Mobile devices have trouble with cards that are formatted in FAT32.

Have you tried formatting it in FAT16? You may have more luck this way.

Hi Sam,

I cannot format the card at all :rolleyes: :-

FAT:

The type of the file system is FAT.

Verifying 1937M

FAT32:

The type of the file system is FAT.

The new file system is FAT32.

Verifying 1937M

Going down the route of the fault of the card reader, I've ordered one of these:-

http://www.mobymemory.com/proddetail.asp?p...5FmicroSD%5F001

and will try with that.

Failing that, the card will be going back to the supplier www.onlinememory.co.uk (If they take it :P )

Thanks

Edited by paholman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jmk3d

It has to be formatted in FAT16. FAT32 won't work which is why the high capacity microSDHC cards won't work, they use the FAT32 format (which is too bad, it'd be awesome to have a 4GB card in it). HTC says a 4GB card will work if you can find one that isn't SDHC, so capacity shouldn't be the issue unless it's with your card reader.

Windows formatting tool should be able to format your card in FAT16 no matter what card reader you're using.

Edited by jmk3d

Guest phshatiy
It has to be formatted in FAT16. FAT32 won't work which is why the high capacity microSDHC cards won't work, they use the FAT32 format (which is too bad, it'd be awesome to have a 4GB card in it). HTC says a 4GB card will work if you can find one that isn't SDHC, so capacity shouldn't be the issue unless it's with your card reader.

Windows formatting tool should be able to format your card in FAT16 no matter what card reader you're using.

1) FAT32 WORKS on Qtek 8500!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do have and I do use 1GB microSD card, 512 mSD and 128mSD card. All are formated in FAT32!

2) SDHC and SD has nothing to do with FAT32 or FAT (there is no relationship between them in the way, you're talking about it). The reason why 4GB SD cards work bad on many devices is the FAT limitation. FAT16 has limitation of 2 GiB max volume size. FAT32 has a 4GiB limitation max volume size. 4GB SD isn't a standard! Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

that's the reason why many 2GB and more SD cards work so bad, and that's the reason why there are SDHC cards (FAT32 has max volume size 8 TiB).

Try to format any 4GB non SDHC card with FAT16 and then try it in any device - you'll get probably an access error

3) I have no idea, why people always use the standard Windows formatting... Panasonic made SD as a standard. THey offer a tool SD Memory Card Formatting Software (free), with great explanation why you should not format via the standard OS method. I'm using Windows XP. About 6 years ago, I bought a 128MB SD card. Last year, my camera wouldn't recognize it. It said "please insert memory card". So I tried to format via my card reader in Windows. But they didn't recognize it either. Then my friend recommend me this tool. And hell yeah, it saved my SD card. It has also option to format the flash area and many others.

Edited by phshatiy

Guest jmk3d

Hey sorry there SD wizard, guess I should get my facts completely straight before I post.

I never had any problems formatting my SD cards (128Mb & 1Gb - only used with windows mobile smartphones) with Windows formatting tool. I don't see it as that big of a deal since this smartphone runs on "WINDOWS".

But I'd like to check out this proprietary SD formatting program. Care to give us a link to that nifty tool, oh wise one? :)

Guest phshatiy
Hey sorry there SD wizard, guess I should get my facts completely straight before I post.

I never had any problems formatting my SD cards (128Mb & 1Gb - only used with windows mobile smartphones) with Windows formatting tool. I don't see it as that big of a deal since this smartphone runs on "WINDOWS".

But I'd like to check out this proprietary SD formatting program. Care to give us a link to that nifty tool, oh wise one? :P

Here is the link http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html (not sure if the link is in English).

The problem with formatting, I was speaking about - my 128MB card is very old. Guess soon it'll reach the "even horizon" LOL. But if even Windows refuses to format it, then the only you can do is to format with the proprietary tool.

For people who use only Windows on PC and PDA, this may be no problem. But for me, I am using PALM OS, WM Qtek 8500 and also digital camera. So I need to be sure with compatibility. My Kodak digi cam is way too old. It's way to touchy. If I format it via the Windows formatting tool, it wont be recognized by the camera anymore. If I format in my WM Qtek, PALM OS or camera itself, it works fine.

By the way, no offence dude :)

• 4 weeks later...