HTC reveals the P3450 'Touch' - and it's coming to Orange and T-Mobile!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rupert_hollom

Any idea when it will actually be available from Orange, nearly at the point when I can get an upgrade :rolleyes:

Guest mjt2810

Taking a look at this, isn't it just a reworking of the SPB Shell application, as from what I am reading across the web, as soon as you touch on a WM app, it takes you back to the familiar WM6 UI?

1a.gif compared to ... post-1-1181078279.png

and ...

200.png compared to ... post-1-1181078273.png

I don't want to appear to be cynical as I am a big HTC fan, but this doesn't seem to be any earth shattering.... you can use your fingers (if you wanted) to control the SPB apps. All that 'appears' to be different is the 'flo' motion of controlling access to these menus.

M.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yes there are similarities (although you're comparing the SPB 'Now' screen to the HTC Home Screen, however the innovation is in the sweeping motions to both access these screens, and to scroll up / down in other apps.

P

Guest mjt2810
Yes there are similarities (although you're comparing the SPB 'Now' screen to the HTC Home Screen, however the innovation is in the sweeping motions to both access these screens, and to scroll up / down in other apps.

P

Paul, if I was in the email application on the device and want to return to, say, the speed dial screen or media player for example. How would that be achieved with the 'flo' mechanic?

I think for my £350 I would be looking for something that runs across all of the applications, and not just a select few, that then dumps me back into standard (oops!) WM6 territory. I'm usually a gadget fiend, but there's something missing here.

M.

Edited by mjt2810

Guest musicvan

Interesting development of the WM platform, appears to be reaching out to those who would not think of purchasing a window mobile due to the navigation "behaviour" compared to a Nokia or SE? Pity it goes not go further and add "touch UI" to the main apps..

Couple of questions,

- Is the touch flo thing purely software driven? If yes then assume HTC could enhance the main operations people use on their phones (regular updates to "touch UI!") I think implementing a better manual one touch SMS app would be a start!

- Is this technology available to third party developers (is it part of wm6 or is this some htc embedded api?)

- The press release appeared to indicate it would be available in the Uk from June 5th (Orange?), nowhere to be seen on the Orange site (assume not listed under Orange brand?) and expansys are quoting end of June shipping...

I hope Orange avoid loading it with their own apps and leave it as a HTC branded device, cannot see how they could as it would impact on main purpose of the touch home screen?

Guest nuttyphilt
- The press release appeared to indicate it would be available in the Uk from June 5th (Orange?), nowhere to be seen on the Orange site (assume not listed under Orange brand?) and expansys are quoting end of June shipping...

www.devicewire.com have it in stock now, quite a bit cheaper than expansys too. £320 vs £355.

Guest moonshot

This looks like the ideal smartphone for someone that does not enter much text from the phone but wants to carry a lot of information around....................like me.

I had a c600 and have complained on other threads about how we have been let down by HTC and Orange over the last year because the weight of their WM phones seem to be getting heavier, due to the addition of full qwerty key boards that not everyone wants.

The Elf seems ideal. Lets hope it gets a good and Positive review and not one suggesting that it is not easy to imput text with only a stylus. That is the idea of the phone, to keep it small and light for us users who want that sort of thing. If you are not bothered about 'light' then you have plenty of choise with other models of WM phones/pda's, leave the Elf to those who have been waiting for something like this.

Lets hope that Elf 2 does does not aquire a slide out key pad like the vox.

EDIT; Ps. What is the screen like in sunlight?

Edited by moonshot

Guest pd.ryder
...however the innovation is in the sweeping motions to both access these screens, and to scroll up / down in other apps.

P

I've seen this 'sweeping motion' for navigation in PIE Plus too - although, in fairness, PIE Plus is more of a 'dragging motion'.

I think the lack of 3G is probably going to rule me out here. I do like the way the TouchFLO system looks and, as has already been said, 3D graphics would improve it hugely.

I'm sure it will appear on many, many HTC devices in the future. You've gotta start somewhere :rolleyes:

:P

Guest mjt2810
www.devicewire.com have it in stock now, quite a bit cheaper than expansys too. £320 vs £355.

Okay, despite my earlier cynicism, I've just shelled out for one from powerupmobile.com, for £324 inc delivery etc. IF it's no good, expect to see it on ebay within a week!!

I am curious about this new user interface, and am a fan of WM6 having now used it for about a month on my Vox.

Am looking forward to seeing several user reviews in the coming days. Paul, will you be doing one of your videos??

M.

Guest Newchurch
So even though it launched yesterday in the UK you can't buy it for 4 weeks? :P

Ordered it today - and it's on the way to Germany :rolleyes:

Peter

Guest mjt2810
So even though it launched yesterday in the UK you can't buy it for 4 weeks? :rolleyes:

Nope, mine is 'apparently' being delivered tomorrow. Will wait and see!!!

M.

Guest Ovie
Be warned, it's not as small as you think... Monolithix (MVP) 'touches' :rolleyes:

(see below)

P

thumb_06-Jun-2007_MonoTouch.JPG

Is that Paul in the large screen there :P ?

Anyways, I've read that 200Mhz isn't so slow on WM6...my Trinity which is twice that runs Windows Live Messenger very slowly, the time it takes for a letter to come after I've typed it is crazy - I don't know if that's anything to do with the unoffical WM6 ROM I'm using though.

In terms of programs however, what are the major setbacks of having this processor?

Also in terms of the memory, it is SDHC compatible according to HTC's website, so hopefully when the 4GB MicroSDHC cards are out they should work!

Also, on SPB Shell you can choose what to put in the tabs, would it be possible to use say Pocketbreeze in one of the tabs?

Edited by Ovie

Guest jim.mason

Just had a look at the site and I want one now!!!

There is also a competition to win one of these under the 'want' tab, however i've clicked on submit and its just sitting there doing nothing - probably work connection stuffed so will try again later.

Find out more and try out the UI at http://www.htctouch.com/ :rolleyes:

P

Guest Electronic Punk
Nope, mine is 'apparently' being delivered tomorrow. Will wait and see!!!

M.

Cool, simfrree from expansys or with a contract?

(I really need to remove this temptation - I don't need a new phone ;p )

Guest idavid

AGAIN! the lack of PhonePad "T9" predictive text input is the killer here. this looks like a really good device, perfect for almost anything but you NEED to get out the stylus to write a text message! HTC need to figure this out straight away. modern phones need to have text input and an onscreen keyboard just isn't practical, this is why WM devices with keyboards are so popular.

i bet any 7 year old kid can enter text on their normal keypad phone faster than anyone can with a stylus...

to summarise in a simple message to HTC: PHONEPAD IS ESSENTIAL*

* well actually it's not, what is essential though is that you can use the device with one hand.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I pointed this exact fact out to someone pretty senior at HTC, here's hoping they put it right!

It is crazy, I mean they have the application, they just chose not to put it on!

P

Guest musicvan

Sent an email to Orange Customer Services about when the HTC Touch would be released, should have known the reply would be the useful Orange on the ball statement :rolleyes:

My message ->

Query: Hi,

Do you have a release date for the HTC Touch (Windows Mobile 6 PDA Phone) that was launched by HTC yesterday, the HTC press release indicated it was available from Orange but I cannot find it on your site.

Thanks,

The reply ->

Thank you for your mail.

I can confirm that if there are any new updates available for your phone, this will be advertised on the Orange website under "Help and Support".

I hope this information will be of assistance.

Kind regards

Orange Customer Services

At least they could have read the email query! Usual disconnect between Orange PR & Orange customer support....! Maybe they are out of "Touch" :P

Maybe someone knows the answer, or not???

Guest idavid
I pointed this exact fact out to someone pretty senior at HTC, here's hoping they put it right!

It is crazy, I mean they have the application, they just chose not to put it on!

P

well presumably there's some small licensing fee to pay that they don't like but it is worth every penny. i've tried other input mechanisms (like tengo or whatever its called) which is alright, but when it comes down to it phonepad is much easier (shame its not available anywhere else!?). i bet the Americans see their iphones upgraded with a phonepad type input device within weeks of it coming out :rolleyes:

keep at them Paul, i'm relying on you to sort this particular issue out, until they do i'll keep my buttons and try and remember what they're for... :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.