Update: Orange app unlock no longer required!
The HTC Vox derivatives are great devices, and it's no secret that i'm a fan.
I was lucky enough to have a pre production HTC S710 for a while and when the device was released, I was first in the queue to splash out my hard earned on a production unit. I know that many readers also own a HTC Vox based device, particularly the SPV E650 variant from Orange.
While the E650 has been generally well received, there has been overwhelming feedback from the community that the device has 2 faults. Firstly the ugly, half-baked and non-removable Orange customisation (colour scheme, icons, start menu layout etc) and secondly the problem with installing software on the device that would cause it to hang.
Ever since this feedback came to light, I have maintained that when I got hold of a SPV E650, I would do my best to provide a fix for these issues. I'm therefore proud to present the MoDaCo SPV E650 de-Brand + Fix Pack 0.5
Firstly, an apology - this pack has been a while coming, and there is a very simple reason - I only got a E650 last Friday. Despite repeated assurances from Orange that they were doing their best to get me a handset (and an Orange Samsung i600 for that matter), nothing has materialised. It seems that unless you're writing for a broadsheet and can get something in print, you're low down the pecking order. Go figure!
As I know members are desperate for this package, I bought a SIM free unit in order that I could deliver as promised.
So, what does the de-Brand and Fix Pack do? Changes include but are not limited to...
- Reset of icons to default Windows style
- Reset of icon layout to a more traditional Windows layout
- Reset of colour scheme and home scheme to default Windows style
- Reset of icons in call related screens to default Windows style
- Reset of Camera dialogues to grey
- Reset of Security policies to match that of the HTC S710
- Fix install bug (installs hang when keyboard is out or input is not in XT9 mode)
- Fix TomTom device ID bug (TomTom reports changed device ID after Orange app unlock)
...it's a very extensive tweak! I'm proud to say that the CAB file to install the tweak is my most advanced yet, however due to the fact that absolutely everything has been accomplished using registry tweaks, shortcut tweaks and one small compressed file update, it comes in at under 60k!!
To install, carry out the following steps. Please note that this pack is intended ONLY for UK SPV E650s. Installation on other devices may produce unexpected results.
- Hard reset device (using the 'Clear Storage' option on the Start Menu, or by tapping the power key from off while holding the two soft keys, then pressing 'Green'). This step is highly recommended, although nothing terrible should (theoretically) happen if you do not hard reset before install.
- Install the PREP CAB by copying to your device and launching using File Explorer: MoDaCo_S...ack.PREP.CAB
- Install the MAIN CAB by copying to your device and launching using File Explorer (be patient, after clicking it takes a short while to get going!): MoDaCo_S...Pack_0.5.CAB
- Reset (power off / on) your device when prompted - This step is essential.
It's as simple as that
I've included some before / after screenshots below. Please note that this pack has performed as intended in my testing, however if you find some remaining branding or continue to have install problems, please let me know so I can provide an update.
FINALLY, I would ask that if you find this pack useful (or indeed not), you reply in this topic. Doing so will make it easier for me to show Orange that they really should try and furnish MoDaCo with the devices they promise.
Thanks and enjoy!
PS This pack does not have an uninstall option - you can reverse it's effects my hard resetting again.
PPS I have also attached below a Pack to fix, but not de-Brand, for those that like the Orange icons, or perhaps don't want to do the app unlock (it shouldn't be required for the fix only).
homebefore.PNG startbefore.png historybefore.png camerabefore.png
homeafter.png startafter.png historyafter.png cameraafter.png