Will 2125 Operating System Upgrade fix bluescreen ?

Guest Brcobrem

Guest Brcobrem

Hi,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with the intent on connecting the 2125 via Modem Link (via USB). Before the Dell, I have successfully used Modem Link on my old (don't laugh) AMD K6 300 NEC laptop. The Dell is running XP Pro SP2. Modem Link works for about 3 minutes (I have internet connectivity) and then the Dell laptop bluescreens with:

Bugcode_USB_Driver

Stop: 0x000000FE (0x00000005, 0x89BCB0E0, 0x10024387, 0x89C61F90)

(Note: 0x89BCB0E0 was 0x89BCB080 before correcting via edit after the original post).

Fyi:

First I use ActiveSync Toggle to disable activesync.

Next "activate" Modem Link.

Next plug the phone into laptop's USB port.

Next use 2125's IE to get to a web page.

Next, after about 3-5 minutes, the laptop bluescreens.

Next, I leave the 2125 teathered, and device-uninstall the HTC modem from the laptop. I reboot the laptop and let it reinstall the freshly detected HTC modem. It detects several components of the modem (modem, wave device, etc.).

Next I activate Modem Link again, and the same bluescreen scenario starts again.

The current OS on the 2125 is:

ROM version : 1.0.9.0

OPERATOR version : 1.8.42.14

Note: this may be the original OS on the phone, but I am not certain of that.

Cingular's /ATT's second level tech support was suppose to call me back on this. I've called three times and get the same promise of a call back, but it never happens.

First question: I have just downloded the latest OS from the HTC site (ie. To_CWS_20130_284222_022501_Ship.exe ). Any ideas if this OS upgrade will fix my bluescreen error?

Second question: Does the OS install wipe out the 3rd party programs and speedials that I have already installed on the 2125? (like the kind of goodies I found via the excellent "MoDaCo _ HTC Tornado / Faraday & Variants _ Cingular 2125: Everything you need to know" post that you have in this forum).

As the hurricane season is upon us here and my 2125 is my backup WAN link, I will appreciate any and all suggestions that you may care to provide.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Edited by Brcobrem

Guest Snooginsguy
Hi,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with the intent on connecting the 2125 via Modem Link (via USB). Before the Dell, I have successfully used Modem Link on my old (don't laugh) AMD K6 300 NEC laptop. The Dell is running XP Pro SP2. Modem Link works for about 3 minutes (I have internet connectivity) and then the Dell laptop bluescreens with:

Bugcode_USB_Driver

Stop: 0x000000FE (0x00000005, 0x89BCB080, 0x10024387, 0x89C61F90)

Fyi:

First I use ActiveSync Toggle to disable activesync.

Next "activate" Modem Link.

Next plug the phone into laptop's USB port.

Next use 2125's IE to get to a web page.

Next, after about 3-5 minutes, the laptop bluescreens.

Next, I leave the 2125 teathered, and device-uninstall the HTC modem from the laptop. I reboot the laptop and let it reinstall the freshly detected HTC modem. It detects several components of the modem (modem, wave device, etc.).

Next I activate Modem Link again, and the same bluescreen scenario starts again.

The current OS on the 2125 is:

ROM version : 1.0.9.0

OPERATOR version : 1.8.42.14

Note: this may be the original OS on the phone, but I am not certain of that.

Cingular's /ATT's second level tech support was suppose to call me back on this. I've called three times and get the same promise of a call back, but it never happens.

First question: I have just downloded the latest OS from the HTC site (ie. To_CWS_20130_284222_022501_Ship.exe ). Any ideas if this OS upgrade will fix my bluescreen error?

Second question: Does the OS install wipe out the 3rd party programs and speedials that I have already installed on the 2125? (like the kind of goodies I found via the excellent "MoDaCo _ HTC Tornado / Faraday & Variants _ Cingular 2125: Everything you need to know" post that you have in this forum).

As the hurricane season is upon us here and my 2125 is my backup WAN link, I will appreciate any and all suggestions that you may care to provide.

Regards,

Brcobrem

That's not a good thing. I wonder- -have you tried using a bluetooth connection to use the 2125 as a modem? I do that often, and it has never bluescreened me though I haven't ever tried using the USB cable like you are. If your computer has bluetooth, or you have an external adapter, it would be worth trying I think. Basically, when you pair the phone with the computer over BT, the computer should already recognize it as a dial-up modem. For the phone number, use *99# and no username or passowrd, and it should connect right up. I have had to connect twice on a few occasion,s the first attempt having failed to connect.

Holler back if you have questions.

EDIT: Just found this thread, it may be of some use to you:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=scanner

Edited by Snooginsguy

Guest Brcobrem

Hi Snoozinguy,

I'm trying your suggestion. Have an eBay bluetooth adapter on the way. Total cost was less than $10. That will (hopefully) be an enexpensive solution (ie. forget the USB teather all together).

Regards,

Brcobrem