Sid Meier's Pirates!

Guest JasonOT

Guest JasonOT

I just spent hours playing the original Pirates! for NES on FCE Ultra on my PC. Now I know I could obviously put the NES ROM on my BlackJack and play it with Pocket Nester, but I know WM5 is capable of much better graphics and it'd be really great if there were a port or an original copy of the game or something made specifically for Smartphones. It'd be expectially great if it were freeware/open source.

So is there anything out there? Or am I stuck using Pocket Nester?

Guest kevinsephiroth
I just spent hours playing the original Pirates! for NES on FCE Ultra on my PC. Now I know I could obviously put the NES ROM on my BlackJack and play it with Pocket Nester, but I know WM5 is capable of much better graphics and it'd be really great if there were a port or an original copy of the game or something made specifically for Smartphones. It'd be expectially great if it were freeware/open source.

Instead of spending 200+ Euros/other money devise on a WM5.0/6.0 device in hope to play video games.... You could have bought a PSP .... All emulators are available on it, better screen and gameplay, plus it has Sid Meier's pirates.

Guest Zeiram

Your best choice would be emulation. The best thing that comes close to pirates as a original game made on windows mobile is High Seas - Guns and Gold by Venan Entertainment.

http://www.venan.com/highseas/

Guest Dusk Knight

You could also try Pirates! Gold for Sega Genesis/MegaDrive. It's a step up from any version of the original and seems to run pretty well with PicoDrive.

Guest JasonOT
Instead of spending 200+ Euros/other money devise on a WM5.0/6.0 device in hope to play video games.... You could have bought a PSP .... All emulators are available on it, better screen and gameplay, plus it has Sid Meier's pirates.

Well, I'm glad I spent less than 1/10th of that for my BlackJack. That doesn't, however, change the fact that people buy phones for many different reasons. Last I checked, a PSP would have cost me at least $170USD or 125 Euros and I wouldn't be able to make phone calls, take pictures, keep notes, sync with Outlook/Thunderbird, tether to a PC for internet access or any number of other things.

I may be a noob here, but if you don't like the idea of people having games on their phones in addition to the many other possible uses for said phones, don't post in the "Smartphone Software - Games" forum, how hard is that?

Guest Zeiram
You could also try Pirates! Gold for Sega Genesis/MegaDrive. It's a step up from any version of the original and seems to run pretty well with PicoDrive.

Did this work for you? I can play this but the graphics are messed up a bit. It stays playable, but it hurts the eyes... :-P

Guest Menneisyys
i am not sure but maybe you can use nop's Dos Box and the PC Version.

Here is a link for the Pc Version.

http://www.abandonia.com/genre.php?search=pirates

I don't have tryed it but maybe it works.

cu

Jens

I don't think it'd be usable - see my DOS emulation-related remarks & articles.

Emulating the C64, on the other hand, is a far better choice for the Smartphone: the emulator, PocketHobbitSP2003, does run the game falwlessly (I've tested it myself!), as is also pointed out in the C64 Emulation Guide ( http://www.modaco.com/Emulating-home-compu...64-t256009.html ).

Edited by Menneisyys

Guest kevinsephiroth
Well, I'm glad I spent less than 1/10th of that for my BlackJack. That doesn't, however, change the fact that people buy phones for many different reasons. Last I checked, a PSP would have cost me at least $170USD or 125 Euros and I wouldn't be able to make phone calls, take pictures, keep notes, sync with Outlook/Thunderbird, tether to a PC for internet access or any number of other things.

I may be a noob here, but if you don't like the idea of people having games on their phones in addition to the many other possible uses for said phones, don't post in the "Smartphone Software - Games" forum, how hard is that?

Well in fact the PSP can take screenshots with the Shotto Cam....

As for Notes and TXT files it can too (not on a public PSP, it must be DownGraded first, but that's not too different from App-Unlock a SmartPhone)

And in my opinion it's better to have a phone only to make phone calls, and maybe take screenshots for your contacts, then a MP3 device , and finally a real gaming handeld. :P

I talk with experience, I had 3 smartphones and one PocketPC , and now a PSP, I don't see the pleasure anymore in ruining my eyes on a tiny screen .

Maybe it's too hard for YOU to search all emulation sites, about a pirates games on Genesis, or SNES, cause if not you wouldn't have come here to ask us? Right.

I doubt you dump your games from SNES/genesis yourself , if yes you should have known what pirates games you OWN and should be playable.

Then if you acquire ROM games by other ways, you should search by these same ways the games you're interested in.

If not , Google is always your friend.

And if you check my post history 80% are posted on this forum. :)

Guest nothin

pirates is available for sega genesis emulator; picodrive CANT run it though, you need to use(it "MAY" work) n0p genpp.

Edited by nothin

Guest Dusk Knight

Aside from a few graphical glitches, Pirates! Gold works fine for me on PicoDrive 0.052

There are some cases in battles where the background doesn't tile properly so part of the water or sky is missing. Also, the main character seems to partially disappear at some points in town.

It's not the 2004 remake, but it is playable and enjoyable and it fits a 320x240 (landscape) display very nicely.

Guest nothin
I don't think it'd be usable - see my DOS emulation-related remarks & articles.

well, i am not sure, if i can agree; vide dune1, settlers, dreamweb, robbo, jakc jazz rabbit1, etc.

properly configured emulator can amaze..if it is working at all.

i could play "betrayal at Krondor" on 300 mhz xscale OC'ed to 400 mhz(472 mhz wasn't available on that model - mem bus was rebooting device..;/ ).

i am sure, that games such as:

- system shock,

- settlers 2,

- elder scroll arena

will be playable just in few months....so other oldies wolud be playable too... if emu will work at all, again..

shame, that emu subforum is made mainly for smartphones here....:)

Edited by nothin

Guest Slerpy
am sure, that games such as:

- system shock,

- settlers 2,

- elder scroll arena

On a PPC ?

Keep Dreaming. :)

Perhaps on the simplest of cores, a frame skip of 8+, and no sound, and even then it would be like watching one of those jpeg slide shows.

Guest Zeiram
On a PPC ?

Perhaps on the simplest of cores, a frame skip of 8+, and no sound, and even then it would be like watching one of those jpeg slide shows.

I wouldnt say he is dreaming...

Quite a while ago everybody was jealous of people with 3D-accelerated pocket pcs, because they seemed to be the only one who every can play a gba-emulator full speed on their device. Now Masterall showed that its possible on slower machines as well if the coding is good...

Maybe someone manages to write a dynarec-dosbox? Everybody said it cant be done for GBA, Masterall showed that it IS possible. So why not for a DosBox either?

Guest nothin
On a PPC ?

ehhh, playing S2 on ppc IS possible goddamn, lol, just qvga isn't able to provide point of doing this....i had method for quite ok gameplay with dosbox by n0p on 400 mhz...

btw i used to play S1 on SVGA emulated resolution(still playable on qvga devices) using same n0p dosbox CVS( up to 13 mb mem emulated).build.

on VGA screens it would be ok ,BUT vga=1/4 qvga gfx power(simplified image of course...)...

------------

settlersxovga6kx.png, ilovepocketzzz6ud.png

myth? lol plz...these are my screens..

moar?

gabriel42wu.png,jag20ry.png

epicpinball0rk.png,jazzxofh8.png

23 fps with jazz rabbit..FS=1...on 400 mhz with 46 MB mem free.

i made them 1-1.5 year ago, i CANT believe, that current devices arent able to MAKE IT REAL.

my machine costed me circa about 80$. but its broken now :P..

hmmm?

pocketpc just need mathematic coprocessor, nothin more,+ few cpu functions and bigger cache.

Edited by nothin

Guest Slerpy
I wouldnt say he is dreaming...

You will NOT see System Shock, playable in Dosbox, on a PPC.

Quite a while ago everybody was jealous of people with 3D-accelerated pocket pcs, because they seemed to be the only one who every can play a gba-emulator full speed on their device. Now Masterall showed that its possible on slower machines as well if the coding is good...

Dosbox, is Far, Far more complex than a simple (compared to Dosbox) GBA emulator. You are effectively emulating a complete PC. The authors themselves, have said that a FAST desktop PC, will give you the equivalent of a fast 486 PC. System Shock, was playable on a fast 486 PC. Think about it, for a second.

ehhh, playing S2 on ppc IS possible goddamn

Yes, so it may seem. Now, try some REALTIME 3D games, like, umm, System Shock ? :) elder scroll arena ? A game, which I remember, REQUIRED a fast 486 to be even playable. Again, THINK ABOUT IT !!

Guest nothin

you are right, in general, but 12 fps in SS is enough for me...hhhehh; on 400 mhz i had 4 FPS...so it was like playing Quake 3 on my machine...

elder scrolls was running faster a bit...

betrayal at krondor was fully playable with 21 fps as i remember...

fallout1 had 0.01 fps.

Edited by nothin

Guest Zeiram

Elder Scrolls allready works on a decent 386 definatlely.

I never claimed you will have 100% emulation, i am sure people who use dosbox are aware that they need to suffer a bit when it comes to sound or frameskip.

For Fallout i hope that Maskin is still working on PocketFallout:

http://www.pocketfallout.net/

Guest nothin

I never claimed you will have 100% emulation, i am sure people who use dosbox are aware that they need to suffer a bit when it comes to sound or frameskip.

For Fallout i hope that Maskin is still working on PocketFallout:

http://www.pocketfallout.net/

yup, i know 'bout Maskin job...

Guest Slerpy

Just, and thats assuming a PPC can emulate to the level of a 386, without problems. I remember upgrading to a 486 DX66, to play it properly, and later on getting a 3DFX card to fully enjoy it.

Guest nothin

concluding whole OT with slight grin on face...

i can wait few yrs. more.

iss't is stupid, that we cant have stupid 386 in pocket?

viva A.D. 07.

Edited by nothin