Should I get a i600?

Guest vinterbird

Guest vinterbird

I'm stuck between the i600 and the HTC Vox. Both feature full QWERTY keyboard, and Windows Mobile 6. But the features of the i600 (3G and WiFi) are very compelling to me. But as I look at the phone, I am a bit scared of the keys to be a tad to small.

What are the pros and cons of the i600 for those of you who have been using it for some time now? Ho are the keys for texting and emailing, does WM6 work well on the i600 and how is the batterylife?

If anyone could be so kind to do some comparisement pictures to an iPod (30gig video), it would be very helpfull, as that is for me, the perfect size for a handheld device.

Guest chucky.egg

That's the same choice I was looking at a couple of months back.

3G swung it for me (never use WiFi any more)

The I600 (Euro version of the Blackjack) does NOT yet have an official WM6 ROM released on any network that I'm aware of.

Keys are generally fine. Some apps (Papyrus for example) don't know it has a QWERTY keypad and insist on input using the T9 of the numeric buttons. Fine in principal, but the corresponding letters (eg: 2=abc, 3=def etc) aren't on the keys so you have to think about it!

I still make some typos, but not many now I'm used to it. I have fairly fat fingers too.

Battery life is OK normally. 1.5 days is fine for my needs, but you can get an extended battery if you want. For some reason over the last 4+ days the battery has died before bed time (used to last comfortably from 6am - 11pm). I don't think it's the batteries though - I suspect badly behaved apps.

I don't have a video ipod to compare too.

I600 Pros:

Thin and light - easily pocketable in suit trousers

Nice screen

QWERTY

Scroll wheel

Programmable side "Back" button

Loads of RAM

I600 Cons:

Battery life - mine's normally about 1.5 days, but has dropped to under 1 day for some as yet unknown reason

QWERTY - I still make typos, fewer than I first did but still some

Non-USB socket - silly Samsung prop socket so I can't use all my existing chargers etc

No 2.5mm socket - cant use normal headphones

Dust under the screen - lots of people (but not everyone) have this

Red button too close to DPad - hit it occassionally by mistake

Guest Stepir
That's the same choice I was looking at a couple of months back.

3G swung it for me (never use WiFi any more)

The I600 (Euro version of the Blackjack) does NOT yet have an official WM6 ROM released on any network that I'm aware of.

Keys are generally fine. Some apps (Papyrus for example) don't know it has a QWERTY keypad and insist on input using the T9 of the numeric buttons. Fine in principal, but the corresponding letters (eg: 2=abc, 3=def etc) aren't on the keys so you have to think about it!

I still make some typos, but not many now I'm used to it. I have fairly fat fingers too.

Battery life is OK normally. 1.5 days is fine for my needs, but you can get an extended battery if you want. For some reason over the last 4+ days the battery has died before bed time (used to last comfortably from 6am - 11pm). I don't think it's the batteries though - I suspect badly behaved apps.

I don't have a video ipod to compare too.

I600 Pros:

Thin and light - easily pocketable in suit trousers

Nice screen

QWERTY

Scroll wheel

Programmable side "Back" button

Loads of RAM

I600 Cons:

Battery life - mine's normally about 1.5 days, but has dropped to under 1 day for some as yet unknown reason

QWERTY - I still make typos, fewer than I first did but still some

Non-USB socket - silly Samsung prop socket so I can't use all my existing chargers etc

No 2.5mm socket - cant use normal headphones

nothing to add :rolleyes:

I'm coming for an HTC Tytn and I love my i600. So small and lightweight...

Edited by Stepir

Guest nehvada

but it will be avalable in some time :rolleyes:

cant confirm this one, mine works great with papyrus and full qwertz keyboard! B)

Battery life on mine is 2-3 days, but i am not a power user

too close??? its nearly as wide as half the keyboard, so you shouldnt miss it :D

no dust here :P

i think its a great phone, had the vox before so i can compare, and i like the i600 more :D

and the size is much more convinient to carry in your jeans front pockets than the vox.

oh, and of course no loose slider :rolleyes: much better built quality!

Edited by nehvada

Guest chucky.egg

WM6 ROM for the i607 has been out for a while yet, so I'm not sure why we don't have ANY (officially) for the i600.

hmmm

Can you try making a new calendar appointment, and adding an attendee/invitee - when Papyrus lists your contacts how does it handle the keyboard?

The Red button is too close to the DPad, and the Red button gets hit by mistake when I'm trying to use the DPad. Not a huge problem - just press the Back button and it takes you back to where you were.

Interesting to hear the comparison from someone who's used the Vox and the I600. I am still tempted by the Vox.

Guest Denus

I have two SGH-i600 in tha house for six weeks now, without any grain of dust (yet).

Wifi is a must for me: I use Resco Radio a lot for example, and it's fun without costs.

G3 is cool, but very expensive (at least in the Netherlands)

I also use the phone as MP3 player every day: the sound is great if you use a good headset and a converter so you can plug a 3.5 jack on the unit.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Bt headset to avoid the cords and converter which is a pain in the @ss.

Guest nehvada

Can you try making a new calendar appointment, and adding an attendee/invitee - when Papyrus lists your contacts how does it handle the keyboard?

you are right at this point, very strange :rolleyes: . i never use this function so thats new to me. sounds like a bug to me on papyrus and i will post this issue over at sbsh. maybe they can solve this.

at all other points (so far) the full keyboard ist supported.