BT PAN - Hermes & VISTA (for Interent Sharing)

Guest wonderstoat

Guest wonderstoat

Hi

I'm struggling to set up Internet Sharing for my SPV M3100. I've successfully flashed to the lastest Orange ROM, and have to say it seems faster and more stable than the original load that came on the device.

Anyway, (asides from the BT DUN arguments over whether MS should've dropped it), from reading posts on various sites it seems that no-one has managed to get BT PAN working on Vista.

Can anyone help? I'm not very technical, but as far as I can determine:

1) I have the standard BT stack that comes with the SPV M3100

2) I'm using the MS BT stack that came with my Vista laptop

3) I try to tether the devices, follow the steps on the PPC,

4) However, when I go to Network Sharing on Vista and try to set up a BT PAN it can't find any suitable BT devices.

I know that this works on XP, but that's not much good to me.

Frequently on Modaco some genius comes up with a fix for this sort of thing (e.g. http://www.modaco.com/RUU-on-Vista-It-can-...e-t252977.html)

Any help would really, really be appreciated.

Thanks

Stoatie

Guest wonderstoat
Hi

I'm struggling to set up Internet Sharing for my SPV M3100. I've successfully flashed to the lastest Orange ROM, and have to say it seems faster and more stable than the original load that came on the device.

Anyway, (asides from the BT DUN arguments over whether MS should've dropped it), from reading posts on various sites it seems that no-one has managed to get BT PAN working on Vista.

Can anyone help? I'm not very technical, but as far as I can determine:

1) I have the standard BT stack that comes with the SPV M3100

2) I'm using the MS BT stack that came with my Vista laptop

3) I try to tether the devices, follow the steps on the PPC,

4) However, when I go to Network Sharing on Vista and try to set up a BT PAN it can't find any suitable BT devices.

I know that this works on XP, but that's not much good to me.

Frequently on Modaco some genius comes up with a fix for this sort of thing (e.g. http://www.modaco.com/RUU-on-Vista-It-can-...e-t252977.html)

Any help would really, really be appreciated.

Thanks

Stoatie

umm ... presumably that's a 'no'? ...

I'm surprised no-one else has come across this? I would've thought a forum full of early adopters would've gotten their teeth stuck into Vista by now ...

Any help out there?

Guest jimbouk

Mine works absolutely fine.

I use WM6 (Black Shadow rom) and simply paired the device with my laptop. Then started Internet connection sharing and chose BT on my 3100 and then in Vista clicked Start, "Connect To" and then clicked on "Set Up a Connection Or Network), scrolled down and chose "Set up a Bluetooth Personal Area Network" and bob was my uncle.

Guest wonderstoat
Mine works absolutely fine.

I use WM6 (Black Shadow rom) and simply paired the device with my laptop. Then started Internet connection sharing and chose BT on my 3100 and then in Vista clicked Start, "Connect To" and then clicked on "Set Up a Connection Or Network), scrolled down and chose "Set up a Bluetooth Personal Area Network" and bob was my uncle.

Thanks jimbouk. That's strange. I follow those steps exactly but when it comes to the crunch the Vista laptop can't find any suitable devices.

Even though my device is already paired, and even though I already use BT to activesync.

Do you have standard Vista BT drivers etc?

Should I upgrade to Black Shadow? What are the advantages/disadvantages (apart from the warranty issue). Is there an installer for it, or would I have to do it manually (not sure I could!), but I really need to be able to use my phone as a 'modem' on the road.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Stoatie

Guest jimbouk

My own personal recommendation would be to upgrade to WM6. Although the current roms are "cooked" ie not official, they are streets ahead of WM5.

If you have a look over at xda developers there are loads of roms and mrvanx's guide to do it safely is a godsend for noobs to flashing roms.

If you want to stick with WM5...I don't have any "special" drivers - I assume you have downloaded Windows Mobile Device Centre 6.1 ?

Guest wonderstoat
My own personal recommendation would be to upgrade to WM6. Although the current roms are "cooked" ie not official, they are streets ahead of WM5.

If you have a look over at xda developers there are loads of roms and mrvanx's guide to do it safely is a godsend for noobs to flashing roms.

If you want to stick with WM5...I don't have any "special" drivers - I assume you have downloaded Windows Mobile Device Centre 6.1 ?

ahhhh ... good point. I'm on WMDC 6.0.6783

Might be worth a shot

Guest wonderstoat
ahhhh ... good point. I'm on WMDC 6.0.6783

Might be worth a shot

nope ... didn't work. Maybe I'll look into the Black ROM.

out of interest - are you on Vista Home Premium? Did it come preinstalled on your PC?

Guest UndeadDevil

Why would you wish to use Bluetooth for Internet Sharing from your mobile? Its slow (70kb/s if your lucky) and a pain to set up BT PAN unless you have a Belkin Bluetooth Dongle. Use the USB Cable + The Hermes Vista USB Drivers.

Oh and Windows Mobile 5 does not use Bluetooth PAN!!!!!!!! It uses a Dial-Up Modem, simply dial *99# and your online.

And yes WMDC comes with Vista Home Premium, it installs over Windows Update the second you plug your phone in.

Edited by UndeadDevil

Guest UMTSBOI
Why would you wish to use Bluetooth for Internet Sharing from your mobile? Its slow (70kb/s if your lucky) and a pain to set up BT PAN unless you have a Belkin Bluetooth Dongle. Use the USB Cable + The Hermes Vista USB Drivers.

Oh and Windows Mobile 5 does not use Bluetooth PAN!!!!!!!! It uses a Dial-Up Modem, simply dial *99# and your online.

And yes WMDC comes with Vista Home Premium, it installs over Windows Update the second you plug your phone in.

You forget that a hermes is capable of up to 1.8mbps with this service enabled.

Oh and windows mobile 5 does use bluetooth PAN, I use this daily

Guest UndeadDevil

You forget that Bluetooth 1.1 has a maxinum throughput of 768kbps no matter weither you have HSDPA or HSOPA

Oh, I never once saw or managed to use it. Yet since flashing to WM6 I now get the PAN network for Internet Sharing. I guess I had a older AK of WM5, it appears it was supported from AK3 and onwards where DUN was removed by default.

Edited by UndeadDevil

Guest wonderstoat

I also don't want to have to rummage in my bag for a cable everytime I want to send an email!

@UMTSBOI - are you on Vista? Does your Vista machine recognise your WM5 device as a bluetooth PAN capable device? Is it an SPV M3100? What ROM? Any help you could gievme would really be appreciated.

Guest UndeadDevil

wonderstoat: Take the advice and just flash it to WM6, the PAN will then work fine.

I'm sure your not but are forgetting to start the PAN in the Internet Sharing?

Another thing to try would be to get rid of Microsoft's Crappy Vista Bluetooth Stack, they don't support hardly anything. Get the Bluetooth Chips proper drivers.

And why ask for UMTSBOI's advice, s/he is a idiot (And i'm pretty sure its the person thats been following me around on forums to just question my knowledge)

Guest wonderstoat
wonderstoat: Take the advice and just flash it to WM6, the PAN will then work fine.

Okay ... assuming I do go to WM6, which version would you recommend, and what will I lose in terms of functionality? Also - will I have to renter all my Orange settings? I dunno what they are, or where to find them. (told you I wasn't technical!) :)

Guest spindicator
Okay ... assuming I do go to WM6, which version would you recommend, and what will I lose in terms of functionality? Also - will I have to renter all my Orange settings? I dunno what they are, or where to find them. (told you I wasn't technical!) :)

I've insatlled WM6 from the Black ROM. Then installed the 2 Orange cabs linked in earlier on in the thread. All is working as planned. Couldn't be simpler.

BTW, to the person that got / compiled those Orange cabs thanks from me.

Edited by spindicator

Guest kwarky

Hi,

I flashed to Shadow , discovered that there was no "wireless modem" for setting up a modem on Vista ;)

Then decided to buy Bluetooth dongle for the "quick win" with PAN networking and internet sharing. Got the devices paired no problem , but no Internet connection on Vista. Eventually discovered that it had something to do with my pre-existing modem setting on Vista from Dialup networking. From IE7 on Vista deleted the previous connection setting from Options ,Connections then the bluetooth PAN network provided Internet access - woohoo :)

After using this for a little while was not entirely happy with the speed even though I had purchased an Enhanced Data Rate dongle, also not happy with the battery run down with bluetooth, maybe 3-4 hours would bring it down to 30-40%. The connection process was also long winded compared to the old wireless modem in WM5.

I had to first connect with active sync from the Hemes , then disconnect activesync , then start the internet sharing on the device and then join PAN network on Vista.

Also found that I then ran into problems with the shared networking that I had set up on some VMware virtual machines. Did not appear to be obvious to me how to get them to use the Bluetooth Pan network on the Host Vista system.

Decided that I was better going back to WM5 with the wireless modem and the direct usb link to computer , so flashed back to WM5 and re-established old connection settings.

Bluetooth dongle going into storage drawer for the moment.

Main problems , lengthy connection procedure with BT PAN , battery life with BT and more complicated networking for VM machines. As internet connection is the only reason I have the phone ,(no adsl where we live) I find I can probably ignore WM6 for the moment on Hermes :P

Main point for others going bluetooth PAN (WM6) from DUN wireless modem (WM5) - delete the old connection settings in IE7, good luck folks.

Kwarky

Guest wonderstoat
I've insatlled WM6 from the Black ROM. Then installed the 2 Orange cabs linked in earlier on in the thread. All is working as planned. Couldn't be simpler.

BTW, to the person that got / compiled those Orange cabs thanks from me.

um ... where are the Orange cabs? Are you sure they're on this thread?

Also - does Black give you all the fancy WM6 Search functionality that's trailed on the WM6 Microsoft site?

Is it stable? Will I love it? :)

Guest jimbouk

I find connecting to BT PAN just as quick as DUN used to be. Simply open Internet Sharing, click connect, select BT, then in pc go to "connect to", click on set up connection, scroll down to BT PAN and hey presto.

The latest WM6 rom (Black Majik) is awesome. Even faster than Shadow... and seems stable so far (after 24 hours).

The cab you need to set up orange mms and gprs/3g etc is on xda and win4mobile. Just google for rabdo orange cab.

Guest wonderstoat
I find connecting to BT PAN just as quick as DUN used to be. Simply open Internet Sharing, click connect, select BT, then in pc go to "connect to", click on set up connection, scroll down to BT PAN and hey presto.

The latest WM6 rom (Black Majik) is awesome. Even faster than Shadow... and seems stable so far (after 24 hours).

The cab you need to set up orange mms and gprs/3g etc is on xda and win4mobile. Just google for rabdo orange cab.

Thanks for the help!

One more question if that's OK? Asides from this BT DUN/PAN issue. what else is atractive about going to WM6?

Guest jimbouk

Belated answer... as you have gone for it, I guess you already know... but a) faster response from device :) html email (unless you are on a exchange server 2003), c) VOIP, etc etc etc

Welcome to WM6.

Guest wonderstoat
Belated answer... as you have gone for it, I guess you already know... but a) faster response from device :) html email (unless you are on a exchange server 2003), c) VOIP, etc etc etc

Welcome to WM6.

Thanks! It's very good so far, but one thing I thought would be there is missing. I read that WM6 would have a search functionality a lot like Vista. i.e. search your inbox/entire device for an email etc.?

Did they remove this?

Guest jimbouk

Just start typing a word when in messaging. It will find messages with matching words.

Or use Start, programs, search - that will search the entire device - including the contents of emails/appointments etc

Edited by jimbouk