SmartPhone Emulator reboots my pc... (the one from the sdk)

Guest Ladama

Guest Ladama

I'm not at home atm but when i installed Smartphone 2002 sdk yesterday i tried to run the SmartPhone emulator (as stated on the orange dev site) and as soon as there pop ups the emulator window my computer reboots (no error message) tried several things, tried to run the PocketPC emu (bin) but same prob... Anyone else had that problem ? or heard about it ? I'll be looking into it when i got home later on but i was wondering if any of you already had this problemen ?

thx

Guest Ladama

thx , but that's not an option (yet) ;)

i'll look into it, ah well maybe a fresh install after 48 weeks isn't the worst thing that could happen to my computer :lol:

Guest Ladama

Ok, i don't if anyone is interested but i found the solution :lol:

Well i'm a bit of a tweaker :( so i like to fiddle with the stuff you find in various "Tweak Guides" , well i found the "tweak" that is responsible for the reboot when i start the emulator...

go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENTCONTROLSET/CONTROL/SESSION MANAGER/MEMORY MANAGEMENT/

if you see that "LargeSystemCache" is set to 1 then that is the cause of the rebooting.... set it to 0 , reboot and it should work ;)

I hope someone else finds this usefull (but i doubt it :lol:)

DavidRM , did you maybe "tweak" that setting too ?

• 3 months later...
Guest rmorris

I've also just hit this problem....I've been working with the GAPI for the past two-months, then accidently deployed to the emulator only to find the XP startup logo in my face.

I looked in my registry at this LargeCacheSize setting, its alreay set to zero.

I have Windows XP (clean as in shipped with a new DELL pc), no other development apps, Embedded Tools 3.0 (2002 Edition) with both PPC and SP SDKs. I tried re-installing these tools, and yet i still have a problem starting up the emulator. I also have a valid network connection.... so any help would be great, don't really want to re-install XP though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wolfe

I have had this problem on and off since last July (2002).

I get around it by:

(1) Deleting the previous emulator state that has been saved in my "Documents and Settings" directory, under Application Data.

The emulator state is a large, 7-9 MByte file - easy to spot - with

a strange name.

(2) Reboot my PC

(3) Log in and try to start a lot of different applications

(4) Exit out of a few of the applications, and start them again

(5) After a while (the more times I have rebooted, the more time I spend opening and closing and opening applications), I try to start the eMbedded Visual C++ version 3.0 IDE.

(6) I then use the Tools | Configuration Manager | Smartphone 2002 Emulation | Properties | Test button to bring up the Emulator.

Sometimes I will get rebooting happening A LOT before the emulator finally does not reboot my desktop.

Once I get past the rebooting all the time, then the emulator is fairly stable for a while.

NOTE: Once I have the emulator up and running, I very rarely close the emulator. I try to keep the emulator up all day whenever possible.

I hope this information helps...

-- John