fring released for Windows Mobile (Beta)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
post-1-1182502551_thumb.gif

fring, the previously Nokia-only VOIP (and more!) client, has been released as a Beta for Windows Mobile!

fring™ is a free mobile VoIP software that lets you talk and live chat (IM) using your handset's Internet connection instead of costly mobile airtime (GSM) minutes. fring enables free mobile calls over Wi-Fi Internet access or your GPRS, EDGE or 3G Internet data plan.

fring lets you easily communicate with all your fring, Skype®, MSN® Messenger, Google Talk™ , Twitter and regular phone contacts from one, integrated contact list. fring also supports SkypeOut and hundreds of SIP-based services such as GizmoProject, VoipCheap, VoipStunt, Free World, even from non-SIP enabled handsets, enabling cheap local and international VoIP calls to contacts’ PCs, mobile phones and landline numbers. fring is also enhanced with real-time contact availability (presence) so you can see who’s available before dialing.

I installed the client on my T-Mo Wing earlier today, and have successfully Skype'd, Twitter'd, MSN'd, Google Talk'd and SIPgate'd... all over WiFi... i'm seriously impressed!

The price is spot on (free!), the feature set is impressive and aside from the problem that seems to affect all VOIP apps (sound comes out of the main speaker, so VOIP calls need to be made in speakerphone mode or with a headset), there's little to fault!

Head over to http://www.fring.com and give it a try :rolleyes:

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

This is very cool... with a free SIPgate account I can take calls on a local rate number to my mobile anywhere in the world. I like :rolleyes:

P

Guest casper508

This is cool! Just installed it on my i-mate SP5m. Works OK through the WiFi. Voice quality over GPRS can be improved but for starters this application rocks!

Cas

Guest oolinger

How did you guys register? I have a Qtek 8310 and can not enter anything else then numbers.. what will not work for the password.

pressing the * key will not change like in SMS or email.

any idea?

Olaf

Guest Wozbacca

as for the voice calls coming out of the main speaker, i set the volume to 1 notch above 0 and turn the phone around so the external speaker is against my ear. works perfectly on my m3100

Guest snake boots
Pfff, I've tried to join for like 5 times but every time it just times out.

did any of you have the same issue?

Yes, I have the same problem, I get a timeout. Don't mather if I use FireFox or Internet Explorer.

Can someone post the program here?

thx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WarthogDriver

Have tried it on my T-Mo Dash with WM6 upgrade............works beautifully !! Love it! I am very glad that Fring has released a WM version. I was introduced to it while using my Nokia e61 (which the dash replaced) and thought it was a great app. It was the only way to get Skype (which my whole family uses) on the e61.

It is really cool to have Skype, MSN, Google talk & SIP all under one roof.

Great app...highly recommend it. :)

Guest mikeeey

wow this is cool! i sure wish it was able to see the contacts on our sim cards though, that would be GREAT!

i dont understand how it can see our number from the sim card when you call people but it cant see our contacts?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest el_plebillo

wooooww, being able to call your msn friends is FANTASTIC, I've been waiting for an application like this, I already have unlimited 3G, so, I should be calling everybody all day long, even while driving. no more typing & driving for me.

even if they start charging for it, as long as it's not an outrageous price, I'll be there..

Guest James McConnon

Im having problems guys, it seems to not connect, well it seems not to actually ever connect to msn, it registered fine, but the thing is also that i couldnt connect to skype either when i have the skype mobile client, Im connecting via wifi and i can surf the web through my wireless router and the wifi on the phone no problem, but when it comes to connecting an application to the internet, it dusnt seem to like it! Please advise......

Guest mikeeey

so it looks like you cant call numbers thru wifi? you can only call numbers thru GSM? i was hoping this program allowed you to do that, like skype. but skype only lets you do that if you pay, right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.