Photo

Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2012 replies to this topic

frydryce

frydryce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Devices:Treo 650

Notice the attached AT&T discount form. Its only for phones purchased between 9/16 to 11/03. Interesting?

at least we're guaranteed an 11/03/07 release date =)

still crossing my fingers on a September date!

Kagenryu

Kagenryu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:HP iPAQ 2215

Notice the attached AT&T discount form. Its only for phones purchased between 9/16 to 11/03. Interesting?

You have to have a $40 a month data plan! First week in to the second month and you have already eaten up the rebate! Why bother!

--

Kage

ChumleyEX

ChumleyEX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Treo 650, at&t Tilt
Yeah I'll be doi

ChumleyEX

ChumleyEX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Yeah I'll be doing some math to make sure it's worth it. No GPS means no phone. My next option is that pantec that is due soon. I think it has the number pad and then over to the qwerty KB.

And Knowing Is Half The Battle
------------------------------
Chumley

Posted Image

mortenandersen

mortenandersen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Yeah I'll be doing some math to make sure it's worth it. No GPS means no phone. My next option is that pantec that is due soon. I think it has the number pad and then over to the qwerty KB.

Interesting... Could you please tell more about that "pantec", that is due soon?

ChumleyEX

ChumleyEX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I hope this is allowed.

http://gizmodo.com/g...-att-300082.php

looks like it runs on windows mobile.

And Knowing Is Half The Battle
------------------------------
Chumley

Posted Image

frydryce

frydryce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

You have to have a $40 a month data plan! First week in to the second month and you have already eaten up the rebate! Why bother!

--

Kage

yeah better to get the $29 smartphone plan instead of the $39pda plan.

i don't get the fact that they have "tethering" plans that go up to $99/month. how does ATT know if you're tethering or not with these phones? will it be some stupid ROM thing where ATT will disable tethering unless you pay for the plan? if so, then even more reason to buy an unbranded TyTnII

mikeeey

mikeeey

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Devices:Nokia n82 (hacked)

No GPS means no phone.

im an optimistic person, but, why would AT&T release a "finished" rom including the gps features? then remove the gps and change the "finished" rom? if they do take it out though, hopefully it's only though software. If I can buy a Tilt and Flash the HTC rom on with working gps then that's fine with me.

Edited by mikeeey, 19 September 2007 - 04:15 AM.

my signature is too long

Kagenryu

Kagenryu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:HP iPAQ 2215

yeah better to get the $29 smartphone plan instead of the $39pda plan.

i don't get the fact that they have "tethering" plans that go up to $99/month. how does ATT know if you're tethering or not with these phones? will it be some stupid ROM thing where ATT will disable tethering unless you pay for the plan? if so, then even more reason to buy an unbranded TyTnII

I think you have to choose the PDA plan, because it is a PDA phone (WinMo Pro not WinMo, which is for SmartPhones). Which makes it suck all the more. I believe Sprint's is $20 and T-Mo is $10 for unlimited. They need to get their act together if they want to stay competitive - not everyone bought the iPhone. <_<

--
Kage

frydryce

frydryce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
unless you buy a subsidized phone, the trick is to buy a junker phone with internet capabilities and get that phone's unlimited data plan. $29.99.

then plug the simcard into your Kaiser and enjoy. Data is data, they don't send you different data based on the program you have. that's what's so stupid about AT&T's deal. all the unlimited dataplans are exactly the same, but with different pricing points depending on the phone you have and services you "want". Tethering is a phone based thing, not a service based thing, so you are just getting screwed for paying for tethering.

AT&T screws its customers on data plans. i blame it on the iphone! hahaha ;)

New HTC User

New HTC User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Media Centers, GPS mapping, mobile internet access.
  • Devices:IPAQ 6515
My suggestion is to use the MediaNet option with AT&T which has unlimited internet access for $19.99. That is the service I use today although it doesn't include text messaging.

NuShrike

NuShrike

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile HD2/G2, Nexus 7

My suggestion is to use the MediaNet option with AT&T which has unlimited internet access for $19.99. That is the service I use today although it doesn't include text messaging.

MediaMax 200 is $19 per month and includes 200 SMS. Why get anything else?

KaiserSimFix: soft-reset-safe sim contacts hiding
CamerAware Buddy | HTCClassAction.org | KaiserGL SDK | LevelSight | FusionGPSFix
Support what I do and buy me a drink.

frydryce

frydryce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

MediaMax 200 is $19 per month and includes 200 SMS. Why get anything else?

unless you buy an unbranded phone, the issue i'm anticipating is how AT&T pegged the iphone buyers who were all forced to purchase the $39.99 data plan. Does anyone know if they were later able to reduce their plans to the MediaMax rates afterwards without issue to their contracts?

i'm fine paying for the 39.99 plan for a month or two so i can get a subsidized phone.

Tones@

Tones@

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Do you know if this (or ANY plan, really) includes DATA STREAMING from applications such as Slingbox? I've been trying to get this information out of AT&T for WEEKS now without any sucess. ;)

Tony

frydryce

frydryce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Do you know if this (or ANY plan, really) includes DATA STREAMING from applications such as Slingbox? I've been trying to get this information out of AT&T for WEEKS now without any sucess. ;)

Tony

that's the thing! any data package will work with streaming. to stream video you'll definitely need a 3G phone in a 3G covered area. you can find 3g coverage maps at attwireless.com. make sure you get the unlimited data package though, you'll go over real fast streaming video.

Tones@

Tones@

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

that's the thing! any data package will work with streaming. to stream video you'll definitely need a 3G phone in a 3G covered area. you can find 3g coverage maps at attwireless.com. make sure you get the unlimited data package though, you'll go over real fast streaming video.

Understood - but my issue is whether the AT&T unlimited data plans actually COVER streaming media as part of the plan. It looks to me like AT&T specifically FORBIDS this - see this thread:

http://www.modaco.co...ns-t259486.html

I don't know if they have a way of actually monitoring this, but I don't want to do anything again any rules since I'm a coward at heart :wub: , and I don't want to get potentially stuck with a $2,000 phone bill.

You would think that simply ASKING someone from AT&T would get you the answer, but after asking about 10 people both on the phone and in the stores, I still have not received a straight answer, and most have no idea whay the heck I'm talking about. ;)

Tony

Edited by Tones@, 20 September 2007 - 05:19 PM.

NuShrike

NuShrike

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile HD2/G2, Nexus 7

Understood - but my issue is whether the AT&T unlimited data plans actually COVER streaming media as part of the plan. It looks to me like AT&T specifically FORBIDS this - see this thread:

iPhones stream YouTube under the same plans. Verizon forbids it in their TOS and there's plenty of commercials about their phones' video streaming abilities. Go read HowardForums.

Get a clue.

KaiserSimFix: soft-reset-safe sim contacts hiding
CamerAware Buddy | HTCClassAction.org | KaiserGL SDK | LevelSight | FusionGPSFix
Support what I do and buy me a drink.

drokkon

drokkon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Sony Ericsson Z500a

Get a clue.

I had the same question. Be nice. ;)

frydryce

frydryce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

I had the same question. Be nice. ;)

data is data whether you're browsing this forum, downloading "legal" mp3s, streaming youtube/slingbox, or downloading pr0n on your Kaiser. If you have an unlimited Data plan, then its the phone that becomes the limiting factor in your abilities and wishes.

Tones@

Tones@

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

data is data whether you're browsing this forum, downloading "legal" mp3s, streaming youtube/slingbox, or downloading pr0n on your Kaiser. If you have an unlimited Data plan, then its the phone that becomes the limiting factor in your abilities and wishes.

Well, in THEORY yes. And I don't think they'd ever catch it, but AT&T's "Plan Terms" SPECIFICALLY forbids it. You can look yourself under the "Plan Terms" item at the bottom of this page:

http://www.wireless....phone-plans.jsp

or if you're too lazy ;) , here's the section (note that the CAPS are AT&T's emphasis, the bold is mine):

"Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Data Service sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) corporate intranet access (including access to corporate email, customer relationship management, sales force automation, and field service automation applications). PROHIBITED USES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, USING SERVICES: (I) WITH SERVER DEVICES OR WITH HOST COMPUTER APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WEB CAMERA POSTS OR BROADCASTS, CONTINUOUS JPEG FILE TRANSFERS, AUTOMATIC DATA FEEDS, TELEMETRY APPLICATIONS, PEER-TO-PEER (P2P) FILE SHARING, AUTOMATED FUNCTIONS OR ANY OTHER MACHINE-TO-MACHINE APPLICATIONS; (II) AS SUBSTITUTE OR BACKUP FOR PRIVATE LINES OR DEDICATED DATA CONNECTIONS; (III) FOR VOICE OVER IP; (IV) IN CONJUNCTION WITH WWAN OR OTHER APPLICATIONS OR DEVICES WHICH AGGREGATE USAGE FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES PRIOR TO TRANSMISSION; (V) USING THE SERVICES FOR ANY ACTIVITY THAT ADVERSELY AFFECTS THE ABILITY OF OTHER PEOPLE OR SYSTEMS TO USE EITHER THE SERVICES OR OTHER PARTIES' INTERNET-BASED RESOURCES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF NETWORK OR SYSTEM RESOURCES (WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL) AND "DENIAL OF SERVICE" (DOS) ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER NETWORK HOST OR INDIVIDUAL USER; OR (VI) INTERFERENCE WITH OR DISRUPTION OF OTHER NETWORK USERS, NETWORK SERVICES OR NETWORK EQUIPMENT. EXCEPT FOR CONTENT FORMATTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH AT&T'S WIRELESS CONTENT STANDARDS, UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE."

This seems to apply to ANY streaming media, including youtube (although the iPhone has this as a FEATURE) and internet radio. So, what's up this THAT?

Tony

Edited by Tones@, 20 September 2007 - 07:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users