Wlan/Gprs/Edge I want to choose when to use it

Guest Funky Dj

Guest Funky Dj

I have been looking around the forum for a solution that is straight forward and simple. I do not want my phone to use gprs for anything else then sending MMS due to the cost of data traffic.

I want to be in charge for when the phone uses paid data traffic and free data traffic.

This was not an issue when using my Nokia N80, where the phone was set to ask me everytime wether I wanted to use gprs/Edge connectiong or wifi/wlan.

So my question is simple. Are there an solution for this on the wm6/htc 710 phone?

I want to choose myself! :)

Plz help me..

Because otherwise this "handy" function will cost me a fortune(the seemless change between wifi/gprs/edge)

F.

Edited by Funky Dj

Guest paholman

I posted a similar question a couple of week ago here but unfortunately there were no replies so it would appear no-one knows of a solution to this as yet

:)

Edited by paholman

Guest ICQ_Eagle

Why not simply get a reasonable GPRS/EDGE data deal?!? Such a phone without internet is as useless as a PC without internet...

Guest Funky Dj
Why not simply get a reasonable GPRS/EDGE data deal?!? Such a phone without internet is as useless as a PC without internet...

U said the "reasonable" data deal. Such thing only exist for companys unfortunatly :P But I do have a lot of free Hot spots to use, and therefore do not really need the Edge thing. But still it looks like I am not the only one with such a problem. And that means there are even more people who have the same issue. Got plenty of free Wlans and do need to turn off that auto switch thing.

But one more information. This auto switching only occure after/when using the built in programs (like live messenger/explorer). This never happen after using Opera/Fring or any other after installed programs. This is strange :)

So the question still remains: how to be able to decide for myself when to use wlan/gprs/edge?

Guest skazz
So the question still remains: how to be able to decide for myself when to use wlan/gprs/edge?

Same trouble here... In the Netherlands Orange doesn't have any unlimited data flat fee options to choose from, so it's important to keep an eye on GPRS use.

I was under the impression that WM6 OS is intelligent enough to always choose WLAN over GPRS/EDGE when both are available. I kind of assumed it was simply like 2 connections on a PC with a routing table determining the connection to be used, and WLAN always taking priority in the routing table when active. Is this not the case?

Guest paholman
Same trouble here... In the Netherlands Orange doesn't have any unlimited data flat fee options to choose from, so it's important to keep an eye on GPRS use.

I was under the impression that WM6 OS is intelligent enough to always choose WLAN over GPRS/EDGE when both are available. ........Is this not the case?

This is the case, and for me it does use Wifi over GPRS when both are available, but occasionally, the Wifi connection is lost, and it goes straight to GPRS (which costs the money) without any warning or prompt giving you the option to continue or not.

Perhaps it's a feature to ensure you've always got a connection, but I agree with the others, I want a warning or an option prompt and not to be forced onto GPRS without it being obvious.

Guest Funky Dj
Perhaps it's a feature to ensure you've always got a connection, but I agree with the others, I want a warning or an option prompt and not to be forced onto GPRS without it being obvious.

So where do we go from here? I have sent a request to HTC about this, but are there other places where this issue is discuessed? I would like to explore this further!

Are there other forums that could know more about it. Any WM6 sites? anywhere?

Edited by Funky Dj

Guest paholman
So where do we go from here? I have sent a request to HTC about this, but are there other places where this issue is discuessed? I would like to explore this further!

XDA Developers have a similar post here , and there is a post saying someone is looking at creating a util that will do this, but I guess it's a case of watch this space, unless HTC come up with the goods in a new ROM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dr.crippen

Mine is the Orange SPV E650 version, and yes it randomly starts connecting via GPRS despite having a good wireless connection. It also regularly changes its Outlook Schedule to collect email 'As they arrive' (from an exchange server) - I have this set to 'manual' off peak; then the only way I can reset this is to remove the battery and reboot, a restart by itself is not enough.

So, I have emailed HTC support asking for a bug fix, or a GPRS 'off' switch or at least a message that seeks confirmation before connecting. I have also emailed my provider (Orange in my case) asking for the same things and also alerting them to the fact that this is a connection that the equipment they have supplied is making all by itself, and as such is not authorised (by me, the account holder) and therefore I will not be liable for the costs. I suspect that they will threaten to disconnect me and that I will quote various Services and Telecommunications Acts and I'm sure it will probably get messy before they fix the problem(s), however I urge you all to take the same steps and complain in the strongest terms, and threaten to not pay for the random connections that these phones are making.

They will listen in the end if enough of us make a fuss!

I do like the phone, and as such do not want to return it (them, I have several), I just want it to work properly.

Guest jjmartinez

I have seen the same complaint in the HP support forums for the iPAQ 514 (another WM6 smartphone). They have no clue about a solution though.

If the unwanted GPRS connections are caused by Microsoft Live Mesenger, as someboby at the XDA developer forums has suggested, only a third party utility or a ROM update would solve it.

Guest xeno1

There's a program here called MoDaCo NoData that will allow you to turn on and off your GPRS connection whenever you don't want to use it, but unforyunately right now Paul has taken it down until he fixes a problem with it. You can find it here though as soon as he gets it fixed - http://www.modaco.com/Paul-s-FREE-HTC-Vox-...l&hl=nodata.

Well, just went back to that page and apparently it's been taken down since the beginning of april, but I've seen it posted other places. Google for it and I'm sure you'll find it some place.

Edited by xeno1