Official word from T-Mobile concerning WM6, bad news

Guest gazm

Here's the official word on the t-mobile UK ameo WM6 upgrade. I feel that this is unnacecptable, particualy as this upgrade is being offered free of charge in other countries. The only way I can see this happening is for all you Ameo owners out there to conmtact customer support at T-mobile and badger them into offering the UK upgrade.

------------

The official response from our T-Mobile product managers on the question you have asked is as follows:

T-Mobile UK will be including Windows Mobile 6 on all new MDA devices that are launched starting with the MDA Touch in July and MDA Vario III in September.The existing devices in the portfolio will continue with Windows Mobile 5 for the remainder of their lives.Behind the scenes there is a huge amount of effort going into new devices and we have decided that bringing in new MDA devices that make best use of the features of Windows Mobile 6 is a better use of our resources than rolling it out on existing devices that work perfectly well with Windows Mobile 5.

I am sorry as I feel this is not the information you are expecting.

Regards,

David McAnally

T-Mobile

Guest Confucious

You mean you are waiting for T to release it rather than just using the HTC version? I thought we might have a long wait so I didn't bother. It's much better with WM6.

• 1 month later...

Considering the price of the Ameo, combined with the VGA screen which I believe is better supported in WM6 and the fact that WM6 is better and more responsive I'm pretty shocked that T-Mobile aren't offering an upgrade. It just goes to show that they don't care a lick about existing customers and aren't really putting much of a push behind the niche-market Ameo. I guess they don't want to invest the testing time they'd need to put in before officially releasing an upgrade.

Feigned shock aside, it's pretty clear they've got a good business case for focussing on the Touch and Vario III- I'm sure they're not going to worry too much about the 3 people who own an Ameo and the 2 people currently thinking of buying one.

Give me a free Ameo any day, but in reality it's a disappointing, steeply priced bricktastic geek status-symbol of a phone that can't even be effectively used without a bag/holster and a headset. It's not as important as the Touch/Kaiser.

Use HTCs WM6, and realize that T-Mobile aren't going to waste any time/money painting their lemon green and trying to sell it as a lime. ;)

Guest Confucious
Use HTCs WM6, and realize that T-Mobile aren't going to waste any time/money painting their lemon green and trying to sell it as a lime. ;)

HTC's WM6? Why, when PK Black Touch V2 is out?

HTC's WM6? Why, when PK Black Touch V2 is out?

Or one of the number of fantastic custom ROMs out there that I've never had the chance to try because I haven't yet unlocked my lowly Xda Orbit!

Guest Confucious
Or one of the number of fantastic custom ROMs out there that I've never had the chance to try because I haven't yet unlocked my lowly Xda Orbit!

Number of fantastic ROMs? When I wrote that Black Touch was the ONLY cooked ROm for the Athena - installing ROMs for other devices is not to be recommended ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest squilla
Number of fantastic ROMs? When I wrote that Black Touch was the ONLY cooked ROm for the Athena - installing ROMs for other devices is not to be recommended ;)

Hi,

I am just about to get an Ameo from T-Mobile in a couple of weeks and ive been concerned about the WM5 / WM6 thing. I've just been reading http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=338409 and I would love to try it out, the thing is I wouldnt know how to start installing it on my Ameo when I get it. Is there a step by step guide available for people who are not so hot on developer lingo? (I bet there is and I have missed it somewhere!)

Thanks! :-)

Guest squilla
Follow the instructions on xda-devs! Just unlock using Olipro's unlocker then install - it's simple.

And PK 3.0 is great ;)

Cheers Confucious, I will try that when I get it, just a bit nervous about messing with my new phone :-)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Kevin John

WM6 just looks a little better cosmetically, seems slightly quicker and more stable. I installed RealVGA and can hapily go between 96dpi, 128dpi and 192dpi, depending on what I want to do (a reboot between modes is required, plus the phone dialer looks awful in real VGA!).

To be honest, not much difference to me from WM5, but it's nice to be up to date on what was meant to be a 'flagship' phone!

Guest Confucious
WM6 just looks a little better cosmetically, seems slightly quicker and more stable. I installed RealVGA and can hapily go between 96dpi, 128dpi and 192dpi, depending on what I want to do (a reboot between modes is required, plus the phone dialer looks awful in real VGA!).

To be honest, not much difference to me from WM5, but it's nice to be up to date on what was meant to be a 'flagship' phone!

The phone dialler looks OK if you disable phone skins. I've never changed back from 96dpi!

Black Touch Dual is, IMHO a great ROM but the basic WM6 is def faster and mor stable than WM5