Well, I just tried and failed to upgrade to WM6 on my XDA Graphite using the software update tool on the XDA website. I'm running Vista Ultimate with Windows Media Centre 6.1.
First problem that I noticed was the message that came up after entering in my serial number:
“Setup:Active Sync® version 4.5
must be installed on the PC that you're using to update your device. You'll need an active link between your Xda and PC using Active Sync® version 4.5. During the entire update process your Xda must be switched on and connected to your PC using a USB cable.
In order to ensure that important files and data do not go missing from your Xda during the software download process, please save them to your PC first before you begin. You'll then be able to reload them onto your device after the software download process is complete.
Download Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 update onto your computer and save it
Make sure that your Xda is switched on and has a live connection to your PC through Active Sync® version 4.5 (The Active Sync® version 4.5 symbol in the system tray will be coloured)
Begin the download of the first file (.exe) which will begin the interactive installation process
Follow the steps in the interactive download guide, which will take you through the subsequent installation steps
Please note that if you already have the navigation software CoPilot 6 on your Xda, read this installation manual before upgrading to Windows Mobile 6
Once you've finished downloading Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 please return to the o2.co.uk/xda site to get more information on your Xda
Download Software >”
I did hope that meant that I required at least Activesync 4.5! Oh well, might as well carry on!
The download takes ages, my Bt connection was running at 5Mbps at it took at least 30 minutes to download the 39MB upgrade package.
Once downloaded I ran the app and go this (standard) message:
1. Activesync 4.5 is required to run this upgrade tool
2. Please do not run this upgrade tool via a USB HUB
Clicking on OK it then took me through to the main app, which found my device and I selected ‘update’.
To my horror I got a message saying ‘failed to update’ and my mobile screen showing the message ‘ System is updating...’
I ran the update tool again and the application could not find my mobile!!!
So I disconnected my Graphite, removed battery and restarted, and thankfully it came back to it’s old state. Phew, that was close.
Not to be discouraged, I tried again. Exactly the same happened. <_<
Looks like the new update tool will not work with Vista and Windows Mobile Centre!!
I then tried to install Activesync 4.5 on Vista to see what happens, and no suprise, it can't be installed.
Oh well then, I’m off to find a mate with Xp, install Activesync 4.5, and try it that way.........what a pain in the ar*e!!!