Change default "File As" order for Contacts?

Guest MisterOrange

Guest MisterOrange

By default, the "file as" order sets contacts as Last Name, First Name (e.g. "Smith, John"). However, I have all my contacts set as First Name Last Name (e.g. "John Smith"). I'm pretty sure there was a registry tweak to make "file as" default to First Last as opposed to Last, First. I just had to hard reset my phone, and now I can't find it.

It's not too bad since all of my contacts from Outlook are already formatted as First Last, but what really bugs me is because the phone is set to Last, First anytime I edit a contact on the phone, it reformats the file as setting to Last, First.

BTW, running WM6.

Thanks.

Guest ricardo.bj
By default, the "file as" order sets contacts as Last Name, First Name (e.g. "Smith, John"). However, I have all my contacts set as First Name Last Name (e.g. "John Smith"). I'm pretty sure there was a registry tweak to make "file as" default to First Last as opposed to Last, First. I just had to hard reset my phone, and now I can't find it.

It's not too bad since all of my contacts from Outlook are already formatted as First Last, but what really bugs me is because the phone is set to Last, First anytime I edit a contact on the phone, it reformats the file as setting to Last, First.

BTW, running WM6.

Thanks.

i am also running wm6 and outlook 2007 but do not have the problem you are experiencing. i did modify though the default file as in my outlook to be first last name. maybe that is something you need to look at and make sure it is properly set.

Guest MisterOrange
i am also running wm6 and outlook 2007 but do not have the problem you are experiencing. i did modify though the default file as in my outlook to be first last name. maybe that is something you need to look at and make sure it is properly set.

Yeah, I checked that. Outlook is set to file contacts as "First Last".

Very odd.

Anyone have any other ideas? I still can't find that registry hack. Anyone remember this one?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Webreaper

There's two parts to this solution. The way I solved it was:

1. Sync my device with my PC, so all my contacts are in Outlook on the PC.

2. Install the File-As sorter: http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/raj/FileAs.html

3. Process all your contacts in outlook to set them to 'First, Last'

4. Delete all the contacts from the mobile device.

5. Re-sync with the PC, so all the contacts get propagated back onto the device, set as First, Last

So that's got all your existing contacts listed correctly. Now you just need an option on the mobile device to be able to change new contacts to be listed as First, Last. To do this, install the attached CAB, and this will add a new option to your contacts menu 'File As: First, Last', which you can apply to each contact one-by-one.

Sorted. ;)

file_as_first_last.cab

Guest Webreaper

5. Re-sync with the PC, so all the contacts get propagated back onto the device, set as First, Last

So that's got all your existing contacts listed correctly. Now you just need an option on the mobile device to be able to change new contacts to be listed as First, Last. To do this, install the attached CAB, and this will add a new option to your contacts menu 'File As: First, Last', which you can apply to each contact one-by-one.

Sorted. ;)

Edit: Just realised, this is in the Smartphone forum. Not sure if the CAB will work on Smartphones, but the first part of the process will work - you might just have to do it periodically.

• 4 months later...
Guest teefaf
Edit: Just realised, this is in the Smartphone forum. Not sure if the CAB will work on Smartphones, but the first part of the process will work - you might just have to do it periodically.

Dude, just wanted to say you are an absolute legend for posting this - many thanks indeed. When I run the CAB on my WM6/HTC Kaiser device, I get an 'installation was unsuccessful' message - any idea why this could be?

Cheers again!

Guest bronksy
Dude, just wanted to say you are an absolute legend for posting this - many thanks indeed. When I run the CAB on my WM6/HTC Kaiser device, I get an 'installation was unsuccessful' message - any idea why this could be?

Cheers again!

I cant get the cab to work on the Orange TyTN II..anyone else have any luck?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest bugmenot111

Sorted. :D

Man, you are my hero.

Worked a charm!

P.S. I didnt have to do the steps 4 and 5. Outlook 2008 and WM6 seemed to synchronize this display by themselves.

• 6 months later...
Guest ilseferreira

OK, so it's more than a year since MisterOrange posted the original question and it's the exact problem I'm experiencing... tried installing the .cab on my HTC P3400, but it was unsuccessful.

Outlook on my PC has been set to a default "File as" of "First Last" and what happens now is that everytime I add a contact on my phone, I sync with my PC as soon as I get home and manually change that one that is filed as "Last, First" to "First Last", which then syncs back to my phone. <_<

Did anything change in the last year that there is now something that would work for me too?

Waiting anxiously for light in the tunnel... B)

Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest Mad Martian

Hey Webreaper, any chance you can tell us what registry tweak is needed so we can change the default without having to install the cab file? Once I change this, I never want to change it back, so I really don't need a menu option. I am having the same problem with contacts synced from gmail. They default to last name first, even though gmail is first name last, because the phone adds them as new contacts using it's default.