IFA Berlin: LG Pocket PC becomes official

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
LG-KS20.jpg

LG Electronics, a long time licencee of Windows Mobile who have yet to produce any devices, have finally revealed the detailed on their first Pocket PC device, to be officially unveiled at the IFA Conference in Berlin that starts tomorrow.

The handset is named the KS20, and in the LG marketing speak...

"KS20: The KS20, LG’s latest slim smartphone, is designed to enrich the mobile internet experience. It features full internet browsing capabilities, and downloads everything from music and video clips to push e-mail at speed of 3.6 Mbps through HSDPA. It also allows for advanced features like videoconferencing, taking advantage of the phone’s dual cameras. The KS20’s minimalist concept will appeal to those who admire a phone for its design as much as its features. The phone uses an intuitive touch input technology and large LCD screen to maximize its internet usability. The handset is powered by Microsoft’s Windows Mobile® 6 software."

The device is packing 3G + HSDPA, WiFi, FM Radio, dual cameras, Windows Mobile 6 and is said to weigh in at under 100g with it's 13mm thick shell. A 2 megapixel camera is included (a little disappointing), and there is no internal GPS.

Design wise, minimalistic is the order of the day, but I think it looks great. Not unlike LG's own Prada of course, and a certain device that is rather popular in the US at the moment ;)

No word yet on releases or networks, but we'll keep you posted as we hear more!

P

View IFA Press Release, image via MSMobiles

Guest chucky.egg

I like the "thin and light" approach

A couple more hardware buttons would have been nice though.

Never had an LG phone, are they any good?

Guest johnyysmith

;) It's the big screen that appeals. Both because this old gits eyesight is bad enough to need reading glasses and because the Tytn II as a gps with the smaller screen is going to be a bit difficult to see in a car

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Hmm, the Prada pictures never did the phone itself any justice, its actually quite nice. No mention of dimensions here but it looks like it could be quite a nice Touch competitor? ;)

Guest Exodia

When they say "large LCD screen" i hope they mean something in the area of a 3" 800x480 widescreen vga (like the Toshiba G900) but judging from the pic, it looks like the a standard qvga screen. Large... *ppff* :wub:

Anyway, if it has a better processor and more ram than the Touch, i'll pick one up. ;)

Guest gavboy

I could get very excited by this device. I've been eyeing up the Kaiser, but I have a few reservations about it. It's pretty chunky (size and weight); I don't really need GPS as I have a dedicated TomTom in the car; I could live without a keyboard as I don't do a massive amount of emailing/messaging.

This device looks slim and light, has 3G, has a bit of wow factor and has all the benefits of WM6. A 3G Touch? Can't wait to see some reviews.

Guest FragMeister
;) It's the big screen that appeals. Both because this old gits eyesight is bad enough to need reading glasses and because the Tytn II as a gps with the smaller screen is going to be a bit difficult to see in a car

According to the info on this new LG phone on coolsmartphone, it has a 2.8 inch screen - so it is the same screen size as the TyTn II.

Anyway, if it has a better processor and more ram than the Touch, i'll pick one up. ;)

regarding processor it must be fast because it can handle HSDPA 3.6 Mbit/second that this phone has. However maybe somebody knows what "arm113ejs msm7200" means (what processor, how many MHz?) as one can see in photo below ?

lg-iga-2007-3.jpg

It's apples and oranges, they're both very different target markets and specs.

P

or people like me... get the kaiser as my main phone and the LG as my second ;)

Pigo

Guest Shuflie
I would trust anything from LG. LG Shine - Shite LG Prada - Shite.

HTC is the way forward in terms of Windows Mobile devices

I must say my only personal experience with an LG phone was the U8120, not a fantastic phone but not shite by any means. Once the firmware was debugged it was actually quite useable, for a feature phone. That's what you have to remember, the Shine and Prada phones were not smartphones, only feature/fashion phones. This might be LG's first attempt at a windows mobile phone, but for a first go it looks impressive enough to me. I sure hope it won't be their last WM phone, more competition for HTC in the windows mobile arena means they have to innovate more to impress us, and that's not a bad thing.

Guest Transform

The specs for this phone look really good! And visually, it looks great.

I have never owned a touchscreen before. As it has no buttons, can anyone tell me what its like trying to write a text message on it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.