Dust "cosmetic", "not a warranty repair", claims Samsung

Guest onlyconnect

Guest onlyconnect

I am having a little debate with Samsung customer service.

My i600 developed dust at top left of the screen shortly after purchase. I should have returned it to the retailer but was away and by the time I got round to it, 21 days had passed and I am in the hands of manufrs. warranty apparently.

So I call Samsung expecting a smooth process. They said, it's classified as a cosmetic problem and not a warranty repair. They wanted me to take it to Carphone Warehouse as a probably chargeable repair.

So I debated this. I said actually the real problem was not dust under the screen, but a faulty seal allowing dust to enter - clearly a manufacturing issue.

They said, "has it been used in a dusty environment?" I said the whole world is dusty, and that I had carried the phone on my person as you would expect to do with a mobile phone.

They said they have 9 i600s in the office and none of them have dust. I said that proves there is something wrong with my phone.

Eventually they agreed to take the phone in but with dire warnings about what I have to pay if the fault is "deemed" cosmetic. I am bracing myself for a further argument.

Anyone else been given this sort of runaround?

Tim

Edited by onlyconnect

Guest Leimener
I am having a little debate with Samsung customer service.

My i600 developed dust at top left of the screen shortly after purchase. I should have returned it to the retailer but was away and by the time I got round to it, 21 days had passed and I am in the hands of manufrs. warranty apparently.

So I call Samsung expecting a smooth process. They said, it's classified as a cosmetic problem and not a warranty repair. They wanted me to take it to Carphone Warehouse as a probably chargeable repair.

So I debated this. I said actually the real problem was not dust under the screen, but a faulty seal allowing dust to enter - clearly a manufacturing issue.

They said, "has it been used in a dusty environment?" I said the whole world is dusty, and that I had carried the phone on my person as you would expect to do with a mobile phone.

They said they have 9 i600s in the office and none of them have dust. I said that proves there is something wrong with my phone.

Eventually they agreed to take the phone in but with dire warnings about what I have to pay if the fault is "deemed" cosmetic. I am bracing myself for a further argument.

Anyone else been given this sort of runaround?

Tim

I recently sent my i600 back to SAMSUNG for the same problem. It is covered here in Germany by standard warranty. They seem to be aware of the dust issue. The only problem is the waiting time. It could be as long as 3 weeks.

Guest onlyconnect

Good news. After a bit of to-and-fro, Samsung sent out a return pack, I sent off the i600, and it has come back (very prompt service) with a nice dust-free screen.

Mysteriously, the upgrade to WM 6.0 has disappeared and it is back on WM 5.0. Now I have to decide if it is worth upgrading again.

Great that Samsung UK did the right thing.

Tim