HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Hey guys, allot of you are now getting first hand experiecne with the TyTN II, can you please post a list of the Major Annoyances/Gripes You have with the the device thus far..

Thanks.

Edited by AwJm

Guest Howiehowie93

hello.

I've had mine a day and love it so far. there are two things of note:- My wife thinks I play with it too much ! and the OK button can stick in if you dont press it cleanly.

only annoyance so far - I can't get my Mac to connect to the internet via the Tytn II - can't find a script that seems to work. Never had any problems with my K800i or MDA pro.

Guest stanchion

Whats up with the bootup time of the TyTN II? When I power my device on it goes .. "smart mobility" (what the heck is that?) .. then it lists the firmware revisions.. then it displays an animated HTC logo.. then it displays windows mobile logo.. then it finally goes to the today screen.

I don't know if its _much_ longer than my Dell Axim X5 to boot up.. but shouldnt it be quicker all around? ... maybe the idea is to never turn the thing off? :-)

Whats up with the bootup time of the TyTN II? When I power my device on it goes .. "smart mobility" (what the heck is that?) .. then it lists the firmware revisions.. then it displays an animated HTC logo.. then it displays windows mobile logo.. then it finally goes to the today screen.

I don't know if its _much_ longer than my Dell Axim X5 to boot up.. but shouldnt it be quicker all around? ... maybe the idea is to never turn the thing off? :-)

O_o

That doesn't happen every time you turn it on, right??

Yes, that happens every time you turn it on, it's no slower than the Hermes was though. And why would you ever *want* to turn it off anyway!?

My annoyance - although I haven't noticed anyone else complaining yet - is that the screen is blinkin' hard to see in direct sunlight. The Hermes was definitely more usable in bright conditions. Fortunately for me I live in London, so bright sunlight isn't usually an issue...

Yeah same here, the bootup is very long. But don't understand why to switch off. I'm using the phone because everybody can be in contact with me in the 24h if they want. At bed time the phone is charging... i think a cradle'll be a good accessorie if there would be. ;)

I think a ROM update will be done a shorter boot time, but imho that's not that annoying.

Hey guys, allot of you are now getting first hand experiecne with the TyTN II, can you please post a list of the Major Annoyances/Gripes You have with the the device thus far..

Not working Java, but I'm going to investigate futher.

I've also noticed today a 'buzzing' sound coming out of the internal speaker while in-call volume is set high - seems like speaker is a bit loose and sound vibration causes that 'buzz'. VERY annoying, but stopped occurring after quick treat of air duster. But I consider getting warranty replacement if problem will start happening again. This is not the thing I would expect from nearly-500-quid device... :(

Hi Guys,

Has anyone experienced video playback problems on the HTC Kaiser? I seem to get alot of lag when playing videos trnasfered from my N95 to the Kaiser on Windows media player. They are like one second gaps making the video very jittery.

Is this a hardware problem or software? Any advice will help.

Thanks

Guest Kagenryu
Yeah same here, the bootup is very long. But don't understand why to switch off. I'm using the phone because everybody can be in contact with me in the 24h if they want. At bed time the phone is charging... i think a cradle'll be a good accessorie if there would be. ;)

I think a ROM update will be done a shorter boot time, but imho that's not that annoying.

Is there a cradle accessory for this thing? I use mine all the time for my PocketPC.

--

Kage

Scrub my problem with Macbook using the Tytn II as a modem - found the program 'internet sharing' (cunningly hidden in the Programs folder) which sets up the bluetooth PAN mentioned before. Immediate internet access from Macbook ensued.

Right, there is one more - camera bug that makes each picture rotated 90 degrees clockwise by default. Extremely annoying.

Right, there is one more - camera bug that makes each picture rotated 90 degrees clockwise by default. Extremely annoying.

Oooch,, this was a bug in some TyTN .. sorry to see it carry over to the TyTN II .. i hope there will be a fix

Guest Manni01
Hi Guys,

Has anyone experienced video playback problems on the HTC Kaiser? I seem to get alot of lag when playing videos trnasfered from my N95 to the Kaiser on Windows media player. They are like one second gaps making the video very jittery.

Is this a hardware problem or software? Any advice will help.

Thanks

Did you try with TCPMP? This is one of the best players for pocket PCs... Please report results...

Guest kathryncheng

hiya,

i have turned on clear type on portrait mode seems to be ok but when it goes landscape the clear type function seems to disappear.... is this normal?

dennis

Yes, However you can enable it with this registry tweak,

From MoDaCo wiki:

To enable ClearType in Landscape mode:

HKLM\System\GDI\ClearTypeSettings\OffOnRotation = 0 (DWORD decimal)
[/codebox]

To disable:

[codebox] HKLM\System\GDI\ClearTypeSettings\OffOnRotation = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Note that your PocketPC screen's LCD red/green/blue ordering required for proper ClearType display is only correct for Portrait display. You may or may not prefer to leave ClearType in Landscape mode disabled

Guest flashflash

Ok, problems I have noticed. When you soft reset, sometimes the backlight does not go off, you need to manually put the phone into sleep mode.

Trying to select GSM only rather the 3G can sometimes cause the phone not to find a signal (same in reverse). Soft reset needed.

Not a problem but a minor annoyance is the fact I keep trying to slide out the keyboard the wrong way (Hermes way). Its only a matter of time for my small brain to learn that new trick!

on a positive, I am finding the battery is lasting a whole day in 3G with push email on!!! My old hermes could never do that. I should expect that to get better in the next week or so as the battery only reaches full capacity after a week or so.

A few observations:

1) I find it quite annoying that every time you turn it on, it goes back to the today screen, even though I have the Today timeout disabled (in Settings/Today/Items). I want to see the application I was using when it turned off/I turned it off. Anybody have an idea how to do that?

2) Another thing is the black HTC Theme. It is great, but in apps still using the old style WM 2003 menu bar at the bottom, it looks odd because it changes the color of the bar from grey to black.

3) And the stylus is on the wrong end.

4) The start menu hangs after phone calls when a device password is enabled. Turning the unit off and on fixes this though.

Overall, great device. How could I ever live without the memory??

Did you try with TCPMP? This is one of the best players for pocket PCs... Please report results...

Benchmark results of Matrix trailer:

TCPMP Version 

Subtitle Edition

0.81RC1 Beta Benchmark Results

Average Speed				  95.78%

Video Frames				   3635

Audio Samples				  6678241

Amount of Data				 12020 KB

Bench. Time					2:38.135

Bench. Frame Rate			  22.99

Bench. Sample Rate			 42231

Bench. Data Rate			   623 kbit/s

Original Time				  2:31.459

Original Frame Rate			24.00

Original Sample Rate		   44100

Original Data Rate			 650 kbit/s

URL							\My Documents\RL_MQB_320x240_512_128.avi

Size						   12308480

Platform					   PocketPC

OS Version					 5.02

OEM Info					   Kaiser

Clock speed					393 Mhz

Video output				   DirectDraw 240x320 16bits Lookup

Video zoom					 320x240 -> 240x320

Audio output				   Wave Output 44100Hz 16Bits 2Ch.

I have never ever did such benchmark, so I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but guys on polish PDAclub.pl forum said these results are bad.

Guest dolbe666

Has anyone noticed the battery getting hot while using HSDPA? mine got so hot it made my phone overheat and effect the screen to slow down and pixelate. it got so bad i ended up hard reseting it. even after a hard reset the pixelation continued. i had to leave it to cool down before it would work normally. ive put a support request in to HTC and waiting for a reply from a support agent. ive heard other reports of overheating batteries while using HSDPA but i dont think its got as bad as what happened to mine

Has anyone noticed the battery getting hot while using HSDPA? mine got so hot it made my phone overheat and effect the screen to slow down and pixelate. it got so bad i ended up hard reseting it. even after a hard reset the pixelation continued. i had to leave it to cool down before it would work normally. ive put a support request in to HTC and waiting for a reply from a support agent. ive heard other reports of overheating batteries while using HSDPA but i dont think its got as bad as what happened to mine

Yes, I've noticed quite hot battery while using 3G/HSDPA today. I was waiting for someone, and playing around on the internet for about 15-20 minutes, and battery got noticeably hot. I haven't, however, noticed 'pixelation' effect on the screen.

Yes, I've noticed quite hot battery while using 3G/HSDPA today. I was waiting for someone, and playing around on the internet for about 15-20 minutes, and battery got noticeably hot. I haven't, however, noticed 'pixelation' effect on the screen.

Can yu say if it gets jsut as hott using Wi-Fi ?

Guest Manni01
I have never ever did such benchmark, so I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but guys on polish PDAclub.pl forum said these results are bad.

First of all, thank you so much Evad for running this ;) .

Re the results, they are pretty bad, especially for a recent QVGA device with a supposedly graphics coprocessor.

I'm coming from a 3 year old iPaq using an Intel Xscale at 624Mhz and an ATI chip (with a 3,8" VGA screen), which has been my faithful HQ video player over the last few years. I get around 300% at this resolution, and around 124% in full VGA. And that's with an HQ VGA file @ 1500k/s (the one you used is QVGA @ 650k/s).

For more comparisons with other devices, you can have a look here: http://blogs.shintak.info/articles/11359.aspx

I'm afraid that this (along with the QVGA 2.8" screen) confirms it's not really an option to watch proper VGA Divx on the Kaiser... That's what I expected (and one of the reasons why I bought a Sony TZ11!). I decided to go from PDA+Phone+Desktop replacement laptop+desktop to Kaiser+Ultraportable+desktop.

QVGA files should be almost ok though for those who are used to (and don't mind) lower resolution videos. I bit of stutter (95% of the required minimum speed), but probably watchable. I guess if you're happy to watch films in QVGA, you probably don't mind a bit of stutter.

Thanks again!

My take:

The camera is super slow ;) From the moment you press the take shot button, the photo will be saved about 2 seconds later!

So, it is difficult (impossible) to capture moving object.

When you pan the camera, it will be jumpy and blurry, a lot.

However, it is good to take stand still object.