HSDPA speed for TyTN II

Guest geordiekid

Guest geordiekid

Hello...

Just interested... what's the top HSDPA speeds for each of the networks at the moment?

(Will significantly advise my choice of network for my new phone... whenever it comes round!)

ta

gk

Guest rickyburke
I had 435kbps with T-Mobile on my I600 the other day, was comparing to a mate with O2 GPRS (I won!)

I use DSL Reports:

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1&more=1

Was that a spike? or is that a general speed you achieve?

Im looking to move to T-Mobile to use Slingplayer and need something that will be able to hold 250-300k constantly.

Guest geordiekid
I had 435kbps with T-Mobile on my I600 the other day, was comparing to a mate with O2 GPRS (I won!)

I use DSL Reports:

That's a handy thing to know...

... but I was more after what the advertised/theoretical speeds are of each of the networks in advance of me signing up with one of them...

for what it is worth, I routinely get over 1000kbps (but not much more) when downloading large files according to my trusted friend SPB GPRS monitor over HSDPA on T-Mobile in London....

Guest rickyburke
for what it is worth, I routinely get over 1000kbps (but not much more) when downloading large files according to my trusted friend SPB GPRS monitor over HSDPA on T-Mobile in London....

Ah nice, thanks.

Im just outside the M25 so hopefully i can get a decent HSDPA signal here.

I use DSL Reports:

Thanks for the link. It worked great. Was looking for a site but none could really help out.

I hope T-Mobile in the Netherlands ups there speeds quick, or else I'll have to switch to Vodafone

Guest chucky.egg
Was that a spike? or is that a general speed you achieve?

Im looking to move to T-Mobile to use Slingplayer and need something that will be able to hold 250-300k constantly.

It's not something I test often, but when I get HSDPA (only at work for me) and I've tested it (only a handful of times) I've never got below 300. I don't recall but 435 may well be the highest I've got to date.

[edit]

Should have said that I think the way the DSL Reports system works is to download a large file and time the process, so the speeds will be an average for that download.

[/edit]

Theoretical maximums are all very well, but no use if you want to test for real world use. Does anyone know anyone who's got 3.6mbps? No, thought not! ;)

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest geordiekid
Theoretical maximums are all very well, but no use if you want to test for real world use. Does anyone know anyone who's got 3.6mbps? No, thought not! ;)

No, but by seeing who has what speeds then you will know how interested they are in maximising the use of the technology. If there is a network who has faster speeds than the rest, then I would take from that that they are more interested in implementing it.

And also, while nobody is likely to get the theoretical maximum, on a network with a faster speed, you are likely to be able to achieve a faster speed than other networks, even if it still not that top speed...

best

gk

Guest geordiekid
Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

The trouble is there are only 2 speeds (at the moment) 3.6mbps and 7.2mbps

Ah well that makes a bit more sense... but which network has the 7.2mbps speed...?

HSDPA? on payg?

not a good idea ;)

It is on t-mobile in the UK, £1 max per day is the going rate subject to a FUP. Of course the web'n'walk for pay monthly is better if you're a regular net user, even if you only get regular GPRS speeds.

Guest chucky.egg

There seems to be a misconception with HSDPA, just like there was when GPRS was new.

You don't pay for the amount of time you are connected, or for the speed of the connection, you pay for the amount of data you transfer

• 2 months later...
Guest Subliminal Aura

Do I read this right ?

Vodafone is deploying HSDPA @ 7.2mbps

http://hspa.gsmworld.com/networks/default.asp?p=6&s=cou

205 Europe United Kingdom 3 UK 3.6mbps In Service n/a None

206 Europe United Kingdom O2 UK 1.8mbps In Service n/a None

207 Europe United Kingdom Orange UK 1.8mbps In Service n/a None

208 Europe United Kingdom T-Mobile UK 3.6mbps In Service n/a None

209 Europe United Kingdom Vodafone UK 7.2mbps In Service 7.2mbps In Deployment

Guest andrewkeith5

well thats wrong for a start - as far as i know, nobody has 7.2 yet, and o2 don't have any HSDPA until next year. most people have 1.8 still i think - this is the speed most of the devices are capable of

Edited by andrewkeith5