Connecting to a WPA RADIUS Network using PEAP

Guest little_mumford

Guest little_mumford

Hello,

I have just arrived at uni and am already trying to do impossible things with their network! I have a VarioII which I have Black Satin rom on, and unlocked and am using it on Orange....

My uni have a wireless network which is WPA secure and you have to log on to it using you network user name and password.... when I try and connect to the network I get a user name and password box come up but it still fails to authenticate on the network. I think it may be something to do with invalid server certificate or maybe I need a personal certificate (although from reading around i dont think so).

If anyone has done anything like this before on a simlar device it would be great if you could help me out as the network help team is run off their feet atm and i dont know how much help they would be anyway!!

Thanks

Guest pd.ryder

I guess you've done the obvious? That is change the Network Card setting to connect to "Work" rather than "Internet"? And you have been able to access the wifi network in a general sense by using the correct WPA-PSK?

Apart from that, I can't think of anything obvious you can do without being pointed towards a certificate by the Uni's IT Helpdesk. It might only complicate their task by telling them its a PPC you're connecting. In my experience, any PC settings they give you will be the same for the Vario II, but they might go into a slightly different box / menu.

Do post back once you get it sorted and give us all an eye-opener (minus any sensitive security details, obviously ;) )

:wub:

Guest little_mumford
I guess you've done the obvious? That is change the Network Card setting to connect to "Work" rather than "Internet"? And you have been able to access the wifi network in a general sense by using the correct WPA-PSK?

Apart from that, I can't think of anything obvious you can do without being pointed towards a certificate by the Uni's IT Helpdesk. It might only complicate their task by telling them its a PPC you're connecting. In my experience, any PC settings they give you will be the same for the Vario II, but they might go into a slightly different box / menu.

Do post back once you get it sorted and give us all an eye-opener (minus any sensitive security details, obviously ;) )

:wub:

yeah i think it had found the network settings as work. but as for a psk there isnt one given the whole thing is just the RADIUS login.... the main thing i am having issues with i think is a way to install a certificate for the server or telling ti to ignore the fact it dosent have one like in windows where you uncheck "validate server certificate"

Guest pd.ryder

Ah, ok. I was thinking you'd need a PSK before you could even access the Uni's wifi routers given it was WPA encrypted (like mine at home only BIGGER).

Can you access the system from HTTP via PIE? (Like wot my missus does from home - ie access her online course stuff on the Uni's servers). Or have I got the wrong end of the pointy stick?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elbowz

If you're connecting to the network using WPA/Radius/PEAP then you'll need the certificate file from your authentication server.

This should be provided as a .cer file which you can then install by tapping on it from file explorer.

Next time you make the connection to your uni network you should be asked for your network login etc., (possibly get an error message about certificates) and then bob's your uncle...

There are two ways to get the certificate - http to your authentication server and get it from there - if your IT dept has enabled this - or by asking the IT dept for it very nicely.

There is a third way, which involves exporting the .cer file from your (wirelessly authenticated) PC and requires admin rights and a knowledge of MMC consoles...

Guest little_mumford
There is a third way, which involves exporting the .cer file from your (wirelessly authenticated) PC and requires admin rights and a knowledge of MMC consoles...

Well I had by this point worked out it is a certificate error.... how do i export the cert. from my pc, I have vista and cant do it thought active sync which i was reading about.... thanks for all your help

Well I had by this point worked out it is a certificate error.... how do i export the cert. from my pc, I have vista and cant do it thought active sync which i was reading about.... thanks for all your help

I've not got Vista, so I'll give you the steps for XP and hope that you can translate them to Vista...

Click Start... Run and type mmc then click OK

In the console window that comes up click File... Add/remove snap-in Then click 'Add' in the new window.

Select 'Certificates' from the list then 'Add', then 'Finish', Then 'Close' Then 'OK'

This should leave you with a window containing 'Console Root' and 'Certificates - Current User'

Expand 'certificates - current user' then 'Trusted Root Certification Authorities' and click on 'Certificates'

In the right hand pane you should now see a list of root certificates, scroll down until you find the one issued by your university. Then right click on it and choose 'All Tasks' then 'Export'

Call the file something.cer and then copy it onto your PDA.

Open file explorer and tap on the .cer file, which should then install and, after a soft reset, allow you to connect to your wireless network.

Hope this helps...

Guest little_mumford
In the right hand pane you should now see a list of root certificates, scroll down until you find the one issued by your university. Then right click on it and choose 'All Tasks' then 'Export'

ermm, it was all going good till i have to decide which one is my uni one..... ;)

Guest little_mumford
ermm, it was all going good till i have to decide which one is my uni one..... ;)

and also.... i have to un-check validate server certificates in windows