The HTC launch event - my thoughts

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Today's HTC lanch event was somewhat manic, Lots of announcements, liveblogging, webcasting etc. etc... so i'm sitting on the train back home as I start writing this post (MacBook + T-Mo 3G USB dongle) with a view to sharing my thoughts on the day's events.

First off, the major announcements...

- HTC Shift - HSDPA equipped UMPC

- HTC S730 - 3G evolution of HTC Vox - 3G equipped sliding QWERTY Smartphone

- HTC Touch Dual (x2) - 2 new touch based handsets, 3G slider. One has a 9 key (conventional) keypad, the other has a 20 key 'SureType' style keypad

- HTC Software Keyboard update for HTC Touch - new software keyboardS for the HTC Touch device.

Because i'm like that, i'm going to go through the announcements in reverse order :D

First off the HTC Software Keyboard update for the HTC Touch. You'll have seen it described elsewhere (and even by HTC) as HTC's own 'full screen keyboard', but that's a bit misleading, as it's not full screen at all. We've used it, and we've snapped some pics of it too. You know how the new Touch Dual has lovely 9 key (T9) and 20 key (SureType) keyboards? Well, this is an implementation of those in software. Yes, BOTH! Finally we can lay 'Phone Pad' to rest, and finally there is a decent input mechanism (or two) for Pocket PCs... well, for the touch at least.

As I say, i've had a play, and they both work GREAT, and are an awesome addition to the Touch. Something that should have been there from the start, and indeed something I hope HTC bring to ALL of their Pocket PC devices.

Paul's verdict: This is HOT stuff!

newpad9.jpgnewpad12.jpg

Secondly, let's talk about the HTC Touch Dual(s). Think of them as an evolution of the original HTC Touch handset (which, incidentally, has sold 800,000 units!). Add 3G / HSDPA, a 9 or 20 key keypad on a slide, and you know what i'm talking about. Both seem very nice indeed, but I think the 20 key version feels nicest for me (I played with both, despite there only being a 9 key version on display).

Lack of GPS is something of a disappointment (since the device is sporting the Qualcomm chipset as found in the TyTN II), but the overall coolness of the device makes that forgiveable.

The nifty soft keyboard mentioned above is also included.

At the event HTC, confirmed that Orange will be their first Operator partner.

Paul's verdict: Surefire hits!

Next, the HTC S730. Wow, where to start with this one ;). To be honest, i've been waiting for this one a while. Yes, it's only an evolution of the Vox, but it adds the Qualcomm 400MHz chipset, 3G/HSDPA and rumoured GPS. Except, there's no GPS :D Argh! The wait for a GPS equipped Smartphone continues!

On this basis, the S730 is something of a disappointment for me. It feels fatter and chunkier than the Vox, and although the keyboard is improved by the 'rounded' key caps, there's just not enough new for it to really float my boat.

Paul's verdict: Hot but not that hot...

Finally, the HTC Shift. Today was my first look at the HTC Shift, HTC's forthcoming UMPC. I won't dwell on it too much, but I liked what I saw! It felt fast, was compact with sensible design, and should come in at a competitive price point. HTC mentioned that they expect the majority of Shifts to be sold via Operators (!), so that too should help bring them in at a killer price.

Paul's verdict: I want one :wub:

Guest porkpie

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the great coverage earlier!

Do you happen to know what version of the Touch Dual will be heading to Orange? I hope it's the 20 key version!

Cheers,

Oli

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The soft keyboard was really nice, great to see HTC have finally caught up with themselves! As for the Shift, wow, a fantastic device and as a student it would be perfect (we the price more affordable!). Its the size of an average hard-back book and about as heavy. With a Touch-esque protective sleave you could throw it in your bag and have full Vista (or XP!) functionality in lectures or working on assignments! At roughly £800 its just too pricey unfortunately ;)

The Touch Dual i was unsure of at first, but it quickly grew on me, a fantastic small (!) device. Definately my next handset.

The S730, as Paul said, was a disapointment. Not as sexy as the Vox and lacking GPS, all in all a bit of a let down!

My problem with the HTC Touch was the poor stylus-free data entry options. This keyboard goes a long way to making the older model a much more attractive option.

The HTC Touch Dual is a bit mixed. They add 3G but take away WiFi. That said, if Orange had the SureType version (and finally came up with an unlimited dataplan which was reasonably priced) I might be willing to forgo the convenience of WiFi.

Guest HerpezP
the official brochure links from coolsmartphone include WIFI as a connectivity option.
Direct link? I can't seem to find it in any of the brochures...

Guest ror100

I have to say that I feel so strongly about today's announcements that I signed up to reply lol. I'm on Orange, and was planning on having a Kaiser as my next handset, but to be honest, there has been a niggling doubt in my mind telling me it was too big for my needs. I absolutely love mySPV M600 (HTC Prophet), but sometimes wish it had a keyboard, hence the Kaiser idea. I've looked at the touch and liked it, but the reviews have put me off, so what do HTC do, bring out the Dual, which in my opinion would be ideal for me!

Paul, when you tried it, did it turn on automatically when sliding the keyboard out? Also where was the stylus (top right or bottom right)? and what type is it?

More importantly, was there any indication of prices for the 2 versions of the Dual? I really hope that Orange take the 20 key version. Although I can't see many operators in the UK taking the 9 key to be honest, why have such an outrageously cool phone, and stick a normal keypad on it? Methinks the 9 key version will be destined for emerging markets.

Oh and if Wifi were left out, it would be a deal breaker for me, love to sit in bed and chat to mates on msn lol.

Rog

Guest HerpezP
re: Wifi - this link definitely mentions WiFi :-)

http://www.europe.htc.com/z/pdf/products/H..._Eng_250907.pdf

Thanks. But here's something odd:

http://www.europe.htc.com/z/pdf/products/H...H_EN_300907.pdf

It's almost exactly the same, but doesn't have WiFi listed? It's seems to be updated 5 days after the one you link to (30th vs. 25th of September).

Call me paranoid, but I fear HTC has decided not to put WiFi in the final model and the models presented today (and the model which leaked on the net some days ago) were pre-production units which still had WiFi enabled... ;)

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

ror100: The Touch Dual opened a new touchflow screen when you slide it up, giving a list of finger-friendly options: messaging, internet etc.

Wifi: it has it, its possible for the operators to remove or disable it, personally i doubt they will (to date they only have in Smartphone devices iirc?)

Guest HerpezP

Thanks for your tireless effort, Monotholix, but I think I'm just afraid to believe that this really nice handset really has WiFi, just to be let down by some official announcement that it actually doesn't. I really need to see some bulletproof evidence - not just a hint in some brochures and none in others.

PS. Nokia is usually champions at this contest by writing false specifications on their initial spec sheets only to confuse people for months. Usually the wrong English spec sheets get translated into several languages before they are corrected, thereby leaving the wrong specifications listed several official places. Is it really so hard to get it right the first time. It's just a page or two, not a whole novel!

Guest Madeye

According to an Engadget post you can find here, they've had it confirmed by HTC that it has no wi-fi. It says:

Update 2: We just received confirmation direct from HTC: no WiFi unlike its Japanese twin. Yes, we're also surprised.

I trust Paul and Mono more than Engadget however so I'm still on the fence with this. I'm also conscious of the fact that we could be getting the same build as the Japanese whereas the States may be getting a dumbed down version. ;)

Here's hoping!

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Well, as we've said, having used the *actual* devices and not just emailed some PR bod, the Touch Duals on display (and indeed all the devices on display this afternoon) were fully wifi-d up.

And again, as i've said, it is potentially possible that the operators could request for this to be disabled, but i cant think of a PPC/Professional device that has ever had that done to it.

In my opinion, they will be wifi'd up (the Touch is...).

Guest HerpezP
According to an Engadget post you can find here, they've had it confirmed by HTC that it has no wi-fi. It says:

I trust Paul and Mono more than Engadget however so I'm still on the fence with this. I'm also conscious of the fact that we could be getting the same build as the Japanese whereas the States may be getting a dumbed down version. ;)

Here's hoping!

Actually, the Japanese version hasn't got WiFi. I remember they explained it with something like that the thickness was more important, and WiFi would have made it thicker *cough* bull *cough*. How come the sub-14 mm Touch has it and the 10 mm Samsung P520, too? WiFi is supported by the chip set and the antenna required is no larger than a finger nail. The omission of WiFi is only a matter of marketing or sales strategy. And that really annoys me.

I hope(d) HTC would keep the specifications up and relying on doing better in the future, as opposed to blindly following operator demands and saving features to have something in reserve for future devices *sigh*

Guest HerpezP
Mmmm WiFi - I used to use that before I had W'n'W. Haven't turned it on since as I prefer a battery that lasts more than 5 mins...

;)

Yeah, that would pretty much solve the problem. Unfortunately, here in Denmark only one operator (3 aka Hutchinson) is offering any kind of flat rate. At all the big operators you have pay $1-2 per megabyte and that doesn't seem to be changing in the near future. This pretty much means goodbye to any frequent full web page browsing if you haven't got WiFi.

I have been waiting the news on the HTC Touch Dual for a while now and dissappointed there is no mention of being released in Australia.

Does anyone know if it will be released in Australia? If there is any definate news a timeframe would be great too if known.

Can someone please also tell me....it is only tri-band GSM. Will this cause problems in USA? (I'm assuming Japan is fine since they are 3G)

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.