Jump to content


Photo

Help! Battery was overdrawn by accident

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1
frank.lui

frank.lui

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:mpx200
I need some advice.

Yesterday I pluged my Mini S to mains adapter (original) for recharging. Because I palyed a bit of overclock befoe that, I decided to switch off the phone before charging so that the overclock can be reset to original.

This morning, I found the phone was dead. There was no sign of charging. All indicators are dead. The phone cannot be switched on. I took off the battery and left it for a while. Then I put it in. The phone started and showed O2 logo. Then the whole screen just faded off. And the charging/power indicator flushed couple of time as 'red' before screen turned completely dark.
I used multi-metre to measure the battery and got 3.2V. I guess what happened was I forgot to switch on wall plug so mains adaptor over-drew the battery.

I know there is a hot discussion about this overdrawn issue, as below
http://www.modaco.co...in-t233233.html

But I do not know how to do it. Can someone give a tip? There are 6 electrical contact pads on battery. Which ones I should go for? Using the phone's mains adaptor or car battery as someone sugested?

Cheers

  • 0

#2
frank.lui

frank.lui

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:mpx200
Well, it's Friday afternoon. Experts either work hard in the office or diving in pubs so no one gave the tip.
I told myself the battery is dead so why not do a DIY? What I could lose?
(1) First found a tunable DC adaptor and sent to 6V.
(2) Connected to the battery, with a multimeter to monitor voltage. The voltage started from 3.2v and increased slowly.
(3) After 2 minutes, I was a bit fade up with the progress so I change the output to 9V. Battery voltage increased much quickly.
(4) When voltage arrived 3.9v I was a bit of nervous. I wanted to save the battery not making a bomb. So I stopped.
(5) Put the battery back to phone and switched on.
(6) O2 Logo...WM Logo....no fading off, good sign. I connect PC' USB cable to the phone and the orange indicator was on! Bingo!
(7) After the phone booted up, it showed battery had 29% power. Then I change to Mains adaptor and it continued the job so it should be not a faulty.

Hopefully this accident did not cause permanent damage to battery.

  • 0

#3
Element1

Element1

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8500

Well, it's Friday afternoon. Experts either work hard in the office or diving in pubs so no one gave the tip.
I told myself the battery is dead so why not do a DIY? What I could lose?
(1) First found a tunable DC adaptor and sent to 6V.
(2) Connected to the battery, with a multimeter to monitor voltage. The voltage started from 3.2v and increased slowly.
(3) After 2 minutes, I was a bit fade up with the progress so I change the output to 9V. Battery voltage increased much quickly.
(4) When voltage arrived 3.9v I was a bit of nervous. I wanted to save the battery not making a bomb. So I stopped.
(5) Put the battery back to phone and switched on.
(6) O2 Logo...WM Logo....no fading off, good sign. I connect PC' USB cable to the phone and the orange indicator was on! Bingo!
(7) After the phone booted up, it showed battery had 29% power. Then I change to Mains adaptor and it continued the job so it should be not a faulty.

Hopefully this accident did not cause permanent damage to battery.

Yes, some time phone doesn't start to charge after battery went down, USB charge will not help, not enough current.
I tried regular power supply and after an hour it started.

  • 0

#4
Swampie

Swampie

    Diehard

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Location:Surrey, UK
  • Devices:MDA Vario III + MDA Vario

Yes, some time phone doesn't start to charge after battery went down, USB charge will not help, not enough current.
I tried regular power supply and after an hour it started.


What I found with my old Wizard when it was completely drained and wouldn't appear to charge via USB, was to just leave it connected for a while and do something else. Came back and it turned on fine - must have been charging even though the charge light didn't come on.

  • 0




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users