Windows Mobile 6 and TomTom Navigator 6

Guest pilotfred

Guest pilotfred

Just been told by TomTom after phoning customer support, that TomTom 6 will not run on Windows Mobile 6 as it is not compatable :-(

So it will not run on my new Vario 3 with it's micro SD card that TomTom hasn't got a version for?

Dissapointed !!

Guest awarner (MVP)

TomTom should run on the Vario III without a problem as it's a PocketPC and not a Smartphone.

This all becomes confusing as they both run on Windows Mobile but there are differences like touchscreen etc.

Guest pilotfred
TomTom should run on the Vario III without a problem as it's a PocketPC and not a Smartphone.

This all becomes confusing as they both run on Windows Mobile but there are differences like touchscreen etc.

TomTom customer service says that as the Vario3 runs on Windows Mobile 6 , Navigator 6 is only compatable on Windows Mobile 5 ?

Guest Neil5459
Just been told by TomTom after phoning customer support, that TomTom 6 will not run on Windows Mobile 6 as it is not compatable :-(

So it will not run on my new Vario 3 with it's micro SD card that TomTom hasn't got a version for?

Dissapointed !!

TomTom are being their usual obstructive selves. They do support WM6 because they supply HTC with a 'Taster' version on the new TyTnII.

Don't worry about the media problem it is easier, and cheaper to download your maps, as long as you don't mind large downloads; from the TomTom site select the Maps link, and Buy Now. Now select Navigator 5 as your existing product (even if you don't have it, as this will give you a download of the TTN6 operating software as well as the map), and then select Orange SPV as your device. This will then take you to a drop down list to select which map you want. Don't select anything else as your device, as you will get a much reduced list of available maps!

Guest pilotfred
TomTom are being their usual obstructive selves. They do support WM6 because they supply HTC with a 'Taster' version on the new TyTnII.

Don't worry about the media problem it is easier, and cheaper to download your maps, as long as you don't mind large downloads; from the TomTom site select the Maps link, and Buy Now. Now select Navigator 5 as your existing product (even if you don't have it, as this will give you a download of the TTN6 operating software as well as the map), and then select Orange SPV as your device. This will then take you to a drop down list to select which map you want. Don't select anything else as your device, as you will get a much reduced list of available maps!

Hmm . . . I think they have disabled the "Buy now link" tried it on two machines. well if they are going to make it that dificult I think I'll go elswhere! They don't even support a micro SD card, they really need a change in attitude and to get up to date!!

Guest Neil5459

Are you in UK, Europe or USA? It seems TomTom block the map buying ability from some US users, but UK/Europe should be OK. ( I tried it just now from my PC in UK, and was able to access map purchase whether logged in or not to the TT website)

Guest pilotfred
Are you in UK, Europe or USA? It seems TomTom block the map buying ability from some US users, but UK/Europe should be OK. ( I tried it just now from my PC in UK, and was able to access map purchase whether logged in or not to the TT website)

I am in UK, I'll try again but these people are a bit more helpfull at CoPilot with this info:

"ALK Technologies Announces CoPilot® Live™ 7 for Spring Release (Press Release:February 12, 2007)

Latest generation GPS Navigation software for mobile phones combines dedicated system simplicity with Live services and market-first support for Microsoft Mobile® 6 "

Probably not as good, but they seem a bit more on the Ball !

Guest Confucious
I am in UK, I'll try again but these people are a bit more helpfull at CoPilot with this info:

"ALK Technologies Announces CoPilot® Live™ 7 for Spring Release (Press Release:February 12, 2007)

Latest generation GPS Navigation software for mobile phones combines dedicated system simplicity with Live services and market-first support for Microsoft Mobile® 6 "

Probably not as good, but they seem a bit more on the Ball !

CoPilot 7 is IMHO better than TomTom - but is still in Beta.

Guest Phil Lee
odd I'm in the UK too, but I can't see any Map Purchase options on the TomTom site?

I bought the Western Europe maps for my VIII yesterday from here. After a couple of hiccoughs I got TTN6 working on my VIII. The main issue is that the downloadable maps don't automatically give you access to the TTN6 software. You need to have TT Home installed, your device connected then download the software from http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6736&Lid=1

Edited by Phil Lee

Guest pilotfred
I bought the Western Europe maps for my VIII yesterday from here. After a couple of hiccoughs I got TTN6 working on my VIII. The main issue is that the downloadable maps don't automatically give you access to the TTN6 software. You need to have TT Home installed, your device connected then download the software from http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6736&Lid=1

Thanks for the info, I downloaded the TThome, do you now buy the maps first through tthome then the update? do the maps come with Navigator6 ? or do you install Navigator6 then the Maps ?

Thanks for the info, I downloaded the TThome, do you now buy the maps first through tthome then the update? do the maps come with Navigator6 ? or do you install Navigator6 then the Maps ?

You need to install the TThome then the maps, these are always extra. I have tomtom 6 on my Kaiser and apart from the odd time it thinks i am on the road parrallel it works fine.

Guest pilotfred
You need to install the TThome then the maps, these are always extra. I have tomtom 6 on my Kaiser and apart from the odd time it thinks i am on the road parrallel it works fine.

Thanks again, just about to go ahead with TomTom and thought I would just give them a call.

They said thay would not support navigator 6 on a T-Mobile vario 3 phone as it hasn't been tested. So if I got into trouble I would be on my own.No support.

Seems like its going to be CoPilot I'm afraid!

Edited by pilotfred

Guest Phil Lee
Thanks again, just about to go ahead with TomTom and thought I would just give them a call.

They said thay would not support navigator 6 on a T-Mobile vario 3 phone as it hasn't been tested. So if I got into trouble I would be on my own.No support.

It works fine on my VIII.

Guest wakei456

Yeah, I agree

Guest Neil5459

That's TomTom just being obtuse again, and giving themselves a let-out if things go wrong (which they shouldn't)- they actually have a deal with HTC where they supply TomTom6 as a full or taster version on this very device, albeit under a different model designation.

Guest pilotfred
That's TomTom just being obtuse again, and giving themselves a let-out if things go wrong (which they shouldn't)- they actually have a deal with HTC where they supply TomTom6 as a full or taster version on this very device, albeit under a different model designation.

OK I bit the bullet and went for TomTom Navigator 6 and WE Maps + Safety Cameras, phew what a download! and runs well.

I feel that I have spent over £80 including the Camera stuff despite TomTom putting me off. That's a great businness to be in !!

I prefer the TomTom over CoPilot, but to be fair the Vario 3 is so rapid and smooth, and with inbuilt GPS there is not a fair comparison in operation to CoPilot and my old Vario. It is just ease of the menu's and I feel the choice of routing works better. The CoPilot will not for instance deviate from the A3 if you want to travel from Epsom to Chichester, you have to put in a way point and thats fiddly. TT just re-routes fine when asked automatically.

Just a point with the TT home, it didn't like the Mac OSx set up as it said the card was only readable, so reverted to the PC with XP and worked first time. I would of prefered the Mac.

Thanks for your help. ( more I can say for tt customer services !! )

Guest awarner (MVP)
CoPilot 7 is IMHO better than TomTom - but is still in Beta.

Be interesting to see what the new version is like, I gave the retail version of CoPilot 6 a run and reported back to them with a few pages of bugs and suggestions on the usability.

Guest pilotfred

What are the safety cameras like? I've been toying with the idea of subscribing for them and the traffic updates. As an alternative I was thinking about the safety camera database from

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com. I've downloaded a number of their freebie POI files already which work well.

Amazingly I haven't passed one yet, only on the Demo, but I'll test it out (Slowly) n the way home

Guest Confucious
Be interesting to see what the new version is like, I gave the retail version of CoPilot 6 a run and reported back to them with a few pages of bugs and suggestions on the usability.

CoPilot 7 is a complete rewrite and useability has improved beyond recognition!

Guest pilotfred

So has the price no doubt ? When I phoned CoPilot Customer Services they wouldn't give a hint of a date it was coming out, I said I thought it was last Feb 07 ?

Guest pilotfred
What are the safety cameras like? I've been toying with the idea of subscribing for them and the traffic updates. As an alternative I was thinking about the safety camera database from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com. I've downloaded a number of their freebie POI files already which work well.

Safety Cameras still flash when a bomb through them !! Ho-Ho!

The TT cameras work with an audable alarm well before you get to them and display the speed restrictions for the area. I haven't found yet a spoken alarm available, this is avaible on Copilot and CoPilot was free rather than the £20 I paid to TomTom, however I think I get the updates straight to my phone. Verdict works well.

Edited by pilotfred