Got offered a new job recently (subject to satisfactory references), but got fired by my old job today!

Guest knonist

Guest knonist

Got offered a new job recently (subject to satisfactory references), but got fired by my old job today! HELP

I am currently a temp for a big company (FTSE 100), and after 6 months of interviewing, I recently got an offer from another company for a new permanent job.

Long story short, I have to work in shifts and I had to travel to work by train. So sometimes if the train is late then I will be late to work a couple of minutes as well.

A couple of weeks ago, I had an informal chat with my agent, she showed me a list of times that I have been late for (about 15 times) over 7 months period, and the longest one is 64 minute due to a cancellation of the train; and the shortest one is one minute. The rest is ranged from 2 minutes to 15 minutes. There is no clocking system at work, so I guess is kind of subjective.

The client’s policy is if you are late, then you have to make up the time after work, so that was what I did.

I was told not to be late again, or action may be taken.

I was late again for 5 minutes, ready for work by 0705 (but in before that time, as I need to get change) due to the late arrival of the early morning train (I guess is due to leave fall season). This could be witness by another member of staff who is on the same train and arrived at the office together.

I apologised, and nothing was said. I carry on working as usual.

When I got home this afternoon, I received a phone call from my agency saying due to continual bad punctuality the client wants to end your assignment with them as of immediate effect”.

To be honest, I no longer concern about the job I was in as I was planning to summit my resignation next week anyway. So money wise, it doesn’t concern me.

However, the offer from my new job stated it is subject to satisfactory references (and I gave my agent’s details already); when I asked my agent today, she told me that they have not yet decided to give me any reference yet, or may not even give me a reference at all (that would still be good).

What I am worrying is that if they could give me a reference saying I was fired? This is very important as this will make a huge impact on my new job. Can they do this to me or even will they? Will they be stopping me from being employ by other people so that I have to work for them (so they can make more money out of me)?

I am very worry at the moment and I look forward to your help.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest beersoft

the all knowing me (im awsome) has the answer!!!

ok, the worst reference you can get from an ex employer is "yes, Beersoft did work her from $startdate to $enddate, as a drunk/programmer/teaboy".

so you should be ok, i wouldnt worry about it, as if they have got to the "yes, unless he's talking bobbins about working for suchandsuch" all the reference needs to be is "yep, he worked here"

later

Owen

visit my website www.digitalpimp.co.uk because its a good idea!!

Guest jimbouk

As he says, employers are very reluctant to give bad references as they are worried about being sued.

They will usually just confirm dates and job title.

Sometimes they will "not be prepared to give a reference" though... but if the ex-employers are a big firm then they will go for the basic dates info.