WARNING: Do NOT flash your Orange TyTN II to the HTC ROM

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you have a Orange HTC TyTN II and have been tempted to flash it to the HTC TyTN II generic ROM (without all the Orange ugliness) then STOP!

We all know ROM flashing is risky, but we have now received a number of reports of people going through the flash process (USPL bootloader then HTC ROM) and ending up with a phone that refuses to accept ANY SIM card, displaying a 'SIM Locked' message continuously.

I'll keep you updated as we know more (investigations are ongoing!), but be careful out there folks!

service announcement>

:(

P

PS Fear not, i've started work on a de-Brand pack... ;)

Guest Subliminal Aura

Yup mega confimed.

On the plus side you get a super fast PDA without the ability to make phone calls ;) :(

Read the tear stories for yourself here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=338833

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=337681

However I'm not sure if you'll get orange back if you restore from a dumped ROM but its highly unlikely.

I'll keep you posted if there's a solution out there.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Nope, I helped someone restore an Orange ROM to a device today, no dice.

I'm currently looking at whether we can dump / restore the SPL (dangerous!)

P

Guest dazultra2000

Interesting! I flashed my Orange TyTN2 with a cooked rom off xda-dev and it's working fine and dandy. No issues at all (aside from a couple of missing icons - but that's nothing)

I wonder what the commonalities are here.

Guest dazultra2000

I used the rom here:

xda-dev, helmi_c, 1.57.00.02_AKU.0.7.0. Dynamic rom

Used HardSPL and then the rom. Nothing else out of the ordinary.

I had the SIM and memory card in during the flash.

Should be noted that my Windows Live didn't work after the flash - you need to install the activator cab, also in that post.

Also for the HTCHomePlug is missing icons for power and screen rotate. But the buttons still work.

Edited by dazultra2000

Guest Subliminal Aura

I'm free... I'm free... I'm free !

The future is bright the future is not Orange ;)

Just received my SIM unlock code and am SIM FREE whooo hoooo....

Thanks for the phone Orange (Yes it does look nice), speak to you later as I have some money to spend on T-mobile :(

Guest jimbouk
;)

Well, an OS area flash is pretty easily reversible. Do I hear you volunteering jimbo? hehe...

P

Nope... even with all the peer groups pressure that is telling me that orange and grey diallers are so last year...

(I am actually happy with my O rom - just de-oranged it a bit... thats all)

I presume the main reason to flash is to debrand?

But surely the simlock is in the ROM? So therefore, if you installa ROM from another phone/network, then the simlock will be whatever the original phone that the ROM came from was - if that makes sense?

So surely you can call Orange - pay £20 and get the correct unlock code for your phone PROVIDING the flash has not changed the IMEI, which I presume is also stored in the ROM?

Probs arise if the IMEI has been changed, for obvious reasons.... Firstly there are the legalities, but also, I think that the unlock code is unique to the IMEI?

Orange are being quite quick with unlock codes atm, I got mine for my N95 emailed to me after 3 days....

Mike

Edited by GSNGuy

Guest Subliminal Aura
I presume the main reason to flash is to debrand?

Nope - to ensure one has a nice clean unfiddled ROM to work with, the way HTC wanted their devices to be used.

But surely the simlock is in the ROM? So therefore, if you installa ROM from another phone/network, then the simlock will be whatever the original phone that the ROM came from was - if that makes sense?

Sorry doooooodddddd but your understanding is all wrong here : Google/Wikipedia are your friends here. Or maybe a boff off these forums can fill you in a bit here.

So surely you can call Orange - pay £20 and get the correct unlock code for your phone PROVIDING the flash has not changed the IMEI, which I presume is also stored in the ROM?

Probs arise if the IMEI has been changed, for obvious reasons.... Firstly there are the legalities, but also, I think that the unlock code is unique to the IMEI?

IMEI is not changed by this flashing process but it is possible to change via a similiar method and yes is very much illegal so lets not go there ;)

Orange are being quite quick with unlock codes atm, I got mine for my N95 emailed to me after 3 days....

Orange asked me to wait 3 months into my contract (I've heard of others who have had the same response from orange) :( - bloody cheek if you ask me.

Well I have always had pretty quick and good service in respect of unlock codes, and good service in general from Orange - One thing I always say, is deal direct - NEVER through third parties such as CPW, The Link and Phones4U etc.....

Mike

Well I have always had pretty quick and good service in respect of unlock codes, and good service in general from Orange - One thing I always say, is deal direct - NEVER through third parties such as CPW, The Link and Phones4U etc.....

Mike

Just a question. Was your Orange Tytns unlocked before the flash process? If so then it looks like using that particlar Cooked ROM is invoking the SIM lock software. eg locking the phone. I thought there was afree unlock on XDA ? Even better use the Unlock from our usual sourse imei-check . OK its £20 but at least you know it will work properly . Would it not be better to unlock first and then flash. Or as this been done ?

Edited by wardy

Just a question. Was your Orange Tytns unlocked before the flash process? If so then it looks like using that particlar Cooked ROM is invoking the SIM lock software. eg locking the phone. I thought there was afree unlock on XDA ? Even better use the Unlock from our usual sourse imei-check . OK its £20 but at least you know it will work properly . Would it not be better to unlock first and then flash. Or as this been done ?

I haven't unlocked or flashed mine

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Subliminal Aura

FYI more and more reports confirm that its the flashing of the radio bit that renders the device into SIM Lock mode.

So if you flash the OS without touching the Radio then you *should* be ok.

• 2 months later...
FYI more and more reports confirm that its the flashing of the radio bit that renders the device into SIM Lock mode.

So if you flash the OS without touching the Radio then you *should* be ok.

What's the latest on this?

My mate has just bought a Kaiser on orange and is the sort of person to flash without reading.!!!

Guest Subliminal Aura
What's the latest on this?

My mate has just bought a Kaiser on orange and is the sort of person to flash without reading.!!!

As long as he knows how to read after he's messed it up then he should be ok but I'd do the reading first and save yourself the tears.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.