How to change to the default red vodafone "today" theme back to the original black HTC?

Guest knonist

Guest knonist

I much prefer the original black HTC interference; the buttons are much bigger and cooler.

Anyone knows how to roll it back? or debrand the dam vodafone?

why cant the operators leave the phone alone...

Edited by knonist

Guest liteswap
I much prefer the original black HTC interference; the buttons are much bigger and cooler.

Anyone knows how to roll it back?

Yup.

Go to Settings -> Today. Click the Items tab and select HTC Home. That's it.

Guest knonist
Yup.

Go to Settings -> Today. Click the Items tab and select HTC Home. That's it.

Yep, got that, but the background is still in red, and apart from having the "HTC home", the call dailing pad is still different from the original kaiser.

• 1 month later...
Guest Electronic Punk

Paul did you get anywhere with this?

I really want one of these, but my biggest scare is that Vodafone won't keep up with the ROM updates and it will get left behind.

Edited by Electronic Punk

It's a more drastic solution (warranty, blah blah) but if you use HardSPL to CID unlock, you can then flash it with the stock HTC Rom. I did that myself, and now the only sign my phone is a V1615 rather than a generic Tytn II is the vodafone logo front and rear.

The best part is the V1615's are already SIM unlocked, so you really have a totally network-free handset.

Guest Electronic Punk
It's a more drastic solution (warranty, blah blah) but if you use HardSPL to CID unlock, you can then flash it with the stock HTC Rom. I did that myself, and now the only sign my phone is a V1615 rather than a generic Tytn II is the vodafone logo front and rear.

The best part is the V1615's are already SIM unlocked, so you really have a totally network-free handset.

Thats good to know, once I have used HadSPL (which I assume is software?) is it possible to revert the changes and/if Vodafone ever released an updated rom they would never be able to tell? (I know its more complicated than that tho, but worth investigating!)

I am about to head down to the Vodafone store and look at changing my contract to business etc. and getting one of these.

Thats good to know, once I have used HadSPL (which I assume is software?) is it possible to revert the changes and/if Vodafone ever released an updated rom they would never be able to tell? (I know its more complicated than that tho, but worth investigating!)

I am about to head down to the Vodafone store and look at changing my contract to business etc. and getting one of these.

Yep, HardSPL is software available over at XDA Developers, I think there are a few different versions but obviously you want the Kaiser-compatible one. What it does is perform a firmware unlock (aka CID unlock) removing the network operator's "bolt" which prevents other firmware from being installed instead. You'll also find the a link to the RUU (Rom Updater Utility) with the stock HTC rom over there; there are threads with full instructions etc. It's a bit nervewracking (obviously "bricking" it is always a distinct, if remote possibility), but it all went smoothly for me.

As far as reverting goes, this is only possible if someone has managed to extract the Vodafone ROM and made it available somewhere - I haven't found it myself. If Vodafone were to release an update, your HardSPL-unlocked phone should still accept it, since it's unlocked to accept any ROM - but I wouldn't worry about that myself, since any Vodafone update would only be a vodafonised version of a future HTC update, which you'd almost certainly be able to apply months beforehand.

The only real worry is if you ever have to return the handset for any reason - for a warranty or insurance claim for example - at which point they might spot what you've done and get funny about it... but personally I don't have insurance, and I've never yet had to have guarantee repair (touch a lot of wood).

Edited by Boinng

Guest Electronic Punk

Well, looking at the default rom it wasa basically only missing applications that seem to have ended up being readily available so quite happy to leave it on.

A vodafone logo at the start? Nothing that bothers me, I have a vodafone after all.

I got the HTC black theme on and it looks great, it came with HTC home and it had the default dialer anyway.

Still playing but loving this phone :(

Guest Electronic Punk

Got lots of addons installed but am wondering about a few things.

The camera won't seem to launch when I press teh camera button even though the button definately works (if I give it a different function etc.) but it won't launch the camera. The manual said it had to be on its side but even that wasn't workin - keyboard either exposed or hidden. I can launch the camera application manually.

Anyone experienced this?

Got lots of addons installed but am wondering about a few things.

The camera won't seem to launch when I press teh camera button even though the button definately works (if I give it a different function etc.) but it won't launch the camera. The manual said it had to be on its side but even that wasn't workin - keyboard either exposed or hidden. I can launch the camera application manually.

Anyone experienced this?

Are you sure you're pressing the button all the way in? It's a two stage button - the first press is just for focussing the camera, but to activate it or actually take a picture you need to press a little harder.

Guest Electronic Punk

Not even a case of that. From the home with no applications running. Pressing the camera button will light up the device (if its sleeping) but won't actually launch the camera application.

Once its running, it is fine!

Guest Electronic Punk

Ok now I feel silly, but the two touch thing seems to apply to launching it as well :(

I was wondering if this annoyed me that touching the camera button wouldn't launch the camera until I remembered how annoying that was on MTeor.

Thanks for your help!

And to be clear to any 1615 owners, there is no reason to flash the stock HTC rom, once you get live messsenger there is nothing else missing!

And to be clear to any 1615 owners, there is no reason to flash the stock HTC rom, once you get live messsenger there is nothing else missing!

Well, there's also World Card Mobile, and the full Windows Live suite - unlikely to be a deal breaker for anyone, but still.

Personally, I think flashing is worthwhile - aside from the apps, the HTC dialling and Comm Manager screens are much nicer than the Voda versions (which no amount of theming will get rid of) and the HTC rom is just a bit leaner and meaner, IMO. Also, the fact that my phone's now CID unlocked means I can apply any future updates from HTC immediately, rather than waiting around for Vodafone to customise and release their own versions, which will probably never happen.

Guest Electronic Punk

With the black theme installed I can't really see why people have any issues with the dialing and comm manager screens.

I'll post mine up later and if you could post the HTC ones for comparison that would be great.

Just going to find out what World Card Mobile is :(

edit: hmm interesting, will see if I can find the version that would have been on a htc rom!

• 3 months later...
Guest samcool4u

could someone please confirm this. whether the v1615 comes SIM unlocked.. thanks

Guest woogal

All vodafone handsets come unlocked these days, and if you do happen to have an older one that is locked you can get the unlock code for free if you're on a contract.