Different types of reset

Guest petec500

Guest petec500

As with most devices of this type, there appears to be different ways to reset the device - at least a soft reset and a hard reset, if not more.

Can someone please explain to me what types of reset are possible with the Touch, how you do them and what they do exactly?

Many thanks

Guest Neil5459

A soft reset (howver it's done on the Touch!) is like rebooting a PC- you'll lose all unsaved material, but anything saved is safe. This is a good proceedure for freeing up RAM, or getting out of a badly behaved program or lockup

A Hard Reset is acheived by either a Key/Reset combination (for if the device is not responding at all) or by Settings/Clear Storage. This is the saem as reformatting a PC, putting it back to the 'Factory State' so you will lose all your user data and any programs not part of the ROM.

There is an additional 'Soft Reset' available by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds. This forces any pending writes to the system before resetting. The devcie is then left powered down until you press & hold the power button again. This is a true 'Off' state, and in this state no phone or alarm functions will operate until the device is activated again.

There is also another post Hard Reset proceedure- by pressing the reset button when you see the message 'Customisation will start after 3 seconds' you will stop any Extended ROM installations from occurring. This is not necessarily a good thing, as a lot of the Phone Connection customisations are set by this process, but if you want to get rid of some of the extra, un-needed stuff some Telco's install, and you are happy with manually configuring things, this can be a good option.

Guest serjosoza

A soft reset (howver it's done on the Touch!) is like rebooting a PC- you'll lose all unsaved material, but anything saved is safe. This is a good proceedure for freeing up RAM, or getting out of a badly behaved program or lockup

A Hard Reset is acheived by either a Key/Reset combination (for if the device is not responding at all) or by Settings/Clear Storage. This is the saem as reformatting a PC, putting it back to the 'Factory State' so you will lose all your user data and any programs not part of the ROM.

There is an additional 'Soft Reset' available by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds. This forces any pending writes to the system before resetting. The devcie is then left powered down until you press & hold the power button again. This is a true 'Off' state, and in this state no phone or alarm functions will operate until the device is activated again.

There is also another post Hard Reset proceedure- by pressing the reset button when you see the message 'Customisation will start after 3 seconds' you will stop any Extended ROM installations from occurring. This is not necessarily a good thing, as a lot of the Phone Connection customisations are set by this process, but if you want to get rid of some of the extra, un-needed stuff some Telco's install, and you are happy with manually configuring things, this can be a good option.

Hi, How this last hard reset of last modified? Teaches me please, what button to press, I am with my ELF locked, because without knowing what they were doing began installing a rom without knowing it for the Prophet, I put a s***, because now he starts not more, is frozen in screen smart mobility and written on top OS 6.0.0.1 ... any hint of how I would restore a new rom? ? ?

Guest Neil5459

I'm afraid that beyond my knowledge!

If you've tried to flash a ROM from the wrong device, you may have damaged your Elf beyondself repair, which will need a factory repair.

Your best bet is to obtain an official ROM for your device/location, then manually put the device into Bootloader mode (a screen with a lot of colour bands) and connect to the PC to run the ROM update. Alternatively look for teh method of copying the ROM update to a blank storage card, and running it from there.

More advice will probably be available in the HTC Elf/Touch forums on XDA Developers