N00b working on The Opticon H16

Guest Eric Woolhiser

Guest Eric Woolhiser

I have been tasked with porting our eMbedded VC++ Legacy Thingy (LT) onto the Opticon H16 which is a WM5 PPC device with Bluetooth, WiFi, a scanner and stuff.

This is my first WM project ;) and I'm totally clueless, but it seems I have found my way to the best place on the net to learn about this environment.

The LT is one .exe with five .dlls that we build in house, and as you may guess, we are not giving up the eMbedded devices we now support with the LT. (sorry if I'm being cryptic, but I don't know if my company wants to pre-announce where we are going.)

Of course I'm getting the all familiar (to you) "The file 'xxx' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file."

What bothers me about this error is that there are apparently two possible causes. Testing the possibility that is a .dll issue, I first went through the .exe and put

#ifndef DLL_DISCONNECT

around all the calls to .dlls so that I could build the .exe in isolation without needing to link to anything.

We have created a test .exe that uses no .dlls and it is unsigned, and it comes up without the 'not signed' error message. To date, my company has not signed any of its applications and if possible would prefer not to do it if it not needed.

I have also created a certificate for development use, and signed the app just so see if we could get past this error, but I am still unable to get the regedit to work as it is posted in this thread. So I'm a bit boxed in not getting very far with this project.

I can continue to pursue getting the certification/signing to work, but since our test app can somehow run without being signed we'd prefer to go in this direction.

1) I need to understand the true cause(s) of this error, and how to isolate them.

2) I still need a good education on WM. This forum seems to be a place for that, but if there are specific threads I can be pointed to it would be a big help. (reading seems to make me sleepy)

Oh and it seems that this is the first post on the H16 so maybe I'll be able to share things with you if anyone has questions on it. Ask, and we'll both learn something! :(

I have been tasked with porting our eMbedded VC++ Legacy Thingy (LT) onto the Opticon H16 which is a WM5 PPC device with Bluetooth, WiFi, a scanner and stuff.

This is my first WM project ;) and I'm totally clueless, but it seems I have found my way to the best place on the net to learn about this environment.

The LT is one .exe with five .dlls that we build in house, and as you may guess, we are not giving up the eMbedded devices we now support with the LT. (sorry if I'm being cryptic, but I don't know if my company wants to pre-announce where we are going.)

Of course I'm getting the all familiar (to you) "The file 'xxx' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file."

What bothers me about this error is that there are apparently two possible causes. Testing the possibility that is a .dll issue, I first went through the .exe and put

#ifndef DLL_DISCONNECT

around all the calls to .dlls so that I could build the .exe in isolation without needing to link to anything.

We have created a test .exe that uses no .dlls and it is unsigned, and it comes up without the 'not signed' error message. To date, my company has not signed any of its applications and if possible would prefer not to do it if it not needed.

I have also created a certificate for development use, and signed the app just so see if we could get past this error, but I am still unable to get the regedit to work as it is posted in this thread. So I'm a bit boxed in not getting very far with this project.

I can continue to pursue getting the certification/signing to work, but since our test app can somehow run without being signed we'd prefer to go in this direction.

1) I need to understand the true cause(s) of this error, and how to isolate them.

2) I still need a good education on WM. This forum seems to be a place for that, but if there are specific threads I can be pointed to it would be a big help. (reading seems to make me sleepy)

Oh and it seems that this is the first post on the H16 so maybe I'll be able to share things with you if anyone has questions on it. Ask, and we'll both learn something! :(

There's a developer forum for this sorta thing on Modaco: http://www.modaco.com/category/113/Windows...le-Development/

• 4 weeks later...