Some Vario 3 questions

Guest Transform

Guest Transform

I finally got a Vario 3 and so far, I'm impressed! Being a Pocket PC newbie, I just wanted to ask a few questions if I may...

1. When I turn my device on, on the t-mobile screen appear some red numbers in the bottom right. What are they all about?

2. I have successfully installed Skype and Live Messenger. However, Skype is in the items list on the home screen but Live Messenger is not. I went into the today settings but there is no option for Live Messenger. Is it possible to get it in the items list?

3. What folder do I put ringtones etc in for them to show up in the sounds settings?

4. In IE, how do I make it save username and passwords to certain website. For example, in IE7 when you hit submit and there is a password box on the screen, the browser asks if you would like to save them. Can this be done for IE on the phone?

Also, I opened a link to an email I received from Facebook, however when pressing the login button, was unable to do anything. The device kept making a beeping noise? ;)

5. Is it more wise to install everything on an SD card and leave the phone storage untouched to keep the highest performance?

1. When I turn my device on, on the t-mobile screen appear some red numbers in the bottom right. What are they all about?

Version numbers. Sounds like you're hard-turning-off your device a lot? It's not really necessary :(

2. I have successfully installed Skype and Live Messenger. However, Skype is in the items list on the home screen but Live Messenger is not. I went into the today settings but there is no option for Live Messenger. Is it possible to get it in the items list?

Odd. Windows Live should have an option...

3. What folder do I put ringtones etc in for them to show up in the sounds settings?

My Documents -> My Ringtones IIRC. Or right click (ok, press and hold) a sound and do "Set as ringtone". Or C:\windows\rings

4. In IE, how do I make it save username and passwords to certain website. For example, in IE7 when you hit submit and there is a password box on the screen, the browser asks if you would like to save them. Can this be done for IE on the phone?

If it comes up with a prompt, there should be a box that says save the password just like in IE7. Remember it's a vastly cut down version.

Also, I opened a link to an email I received from Facebook, however when pressing the login button, was unable to do anything. The device kept making a beeping noise? ;)

As above, remember that some clever things that rely on javascript may not work properly.

Facebook have an excellent mobile site: http://m.facebook.com, which works fine.

5. Is it more wise to install everything on an SD card and leave the phone storage untouched to keep the highest performance?

For system critical software (e.g. stuff that is loaded on the today screen, stuff that starts when you turn on the device it's best to put it on the device memory. It has plenty! It wont really affect performance as such having more on your device, but things that are just standard apps you can install on the storage card and it'll be fine. But remember if you remove the storage card it won't work any more :D

Hope this helps!

Laurie

Guest Transform
Version numbers. Sounds like you're hard-turning-off your device a lot? It's not really necessary ;)

Odd. Windows Live should have an option...

My Documents -> My Ringtones IIRC. Or right click (ok, press and hold) a sound and do "Set as ringtone". Or C:\windows\rings

If it comes up with a prompt, there should be a box that says save the password just like in IE7. Remember it's a vastly cut down version.

As above, remember that some clever things that rely on javascript may not work properly.

Facebook have an excellent mobile site: http://m.facebook.com, which works fine.

For system critical software (e.g. stuff that is loaded on the today screen, stuff that starts when you turn on the device it's best to put it on the device memory. It has plenty! It wont really affect performance as such having more on your device, but things that are just standard apps you can install on the storage card and it'll be fine. But remember if you remove the storage card it won't work any more :(

Hope this helps!

Laurie

thanks for the fast reply! in regards to...

#1 - i only got the device today and havent turned it off. they appeared on the 1st power up. is it because i have the t-mobile rom?

#2 - windows live didnt come with the phone (t-mobile) so i had to get a dodgy cab file :D

could it be because of that?

#3 - i tried putting them in my ringtones and tried c:\windows\rings but it didnt work. do i need to restart the device?

#4 - i didnt get a prompt to save password as of yet :)

and i didnt know that facebook had a mobile site! thanks for pointing that out!

#5 - so for things like live messenger, skype, tomtom etc that should go on the storage card?

in terms of putting things in internal memory, what do you mean by 'stuff that is loaded on the today screen, stuff that starts when you turn on the device'?

#1 - i only got the device today and havent turned it off. they appeared on the 1st power up. is it because i have the t-mobile rom?

These are the version numbers for the OS, Radio stacks, it will always show up on boot up if the device has been turned off and not placed into standby.

#2 - windows live didnt come with the phone (t-mobile) so i had to get a dodgy cab file ;) could it be because of that?

Possibly, head on over to www.xda-developers.com, look in the Kaiser forum for Duttys rom, in there is a link to the MSN cab file, that should work fine

UPDATE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment...mp;d=1191879542 you will need an account on XDA Dev but that link will download a cab for Live Messenger, uninstall the one you have first

#3 - i tried putting them in my ringtones and tried c:\windows\rings but it didnt work. do i need to restart the device?

I will check this for you a bit later, as I dont have it to hand at the moment

#4 - i didnt get a prompt to save password as of yet :( and i didnt know that facebook had a mobile site! thanks for pointing that out!

#5 - so for things like live messenger, skype, tomtom etc that should go on the storage card? in terms of putting things in internal memory, what do you mean by 'stuff that is loaded on the today screen, stuff that starts when you turn on the device'?

For day to day apps such as live messenger, skype, tomtom put them onto the main memory this will enbale them to load a bit faster, the maps for tomtom for instance go on the storage card. Also bare in mind you can not use Sky on WnW or WnW+ you need the WnW Max, you can use it on Wifi though.

Regards

Kimbie

Edited by Kimbie

Guest jimbouk

The version numbers are nothing to worry about. Its like the BIOS info etc when you start your pc.

When you install Windows Live, it will have an icon in Start, programs. When first used Windows Live there is an option to install the today screen plugin. Otherwise just create a shortcut to windows/start menu/programs for it to appear on your start list

And yes, he means that programs that have a today screen plug in and thus need to be constantly accessed, its best to install on device. There is tons of room on a Kaiser for all the usual apps. Its stuff like satnav that you may want to put on storage card

Guest Transform

ok so i dont need to worry about the boot numbers, although its a bit strange seeing them on the startup screen as my c500 does nothing like this.

anyway, i have messenger on the today screen now and i can scroll through different features on it which is great!

still having trouble getting my custom ringtones to show up though.

also, a few more questions if i may....

there is this antivirus on the phone. do i need this? im thinking to get rid.

i have also put bluetooth to 'visible' which is what i have always set my c500 on. will it make a big difference in how long the battery will last on a pocket pc? as my smartphone always seemed to be ok.

lastly, when i first turned the device on, it asked me to set a few things up. i set up an outlook account which was through an exchange server. i have tried adding additional accounts but it seems i can now only add one via pop/imap?

Guest jimbouk

You can only have one exchange server account set up on the device but you can have lots of pop or imap ones. If you really need a second exchange server account, then make sure that the pop and/or imap connectors are on (on the server) and use that instead.

OK - so only the first exchange server account will use directpush, you can set pop/imap accounts to check every 5/10/15/30/60 minutes etc

Bluetooth discoverable will use more battery than hidden - but as I never have on discoverable unless I am actually using it, I cant say how much.

Ringtones: just click and hold on any sound file and select it as ringtone. Or put them in windows/rings and then use start, settings, sounds&notifications, notifications tab - and simply click down the list and select the sounds you want for the incoming calls, emails etc (or do the phone ringtine in settings, phone.

Guest Transform

ok so in the 'messaging' shortcut on the today screen i have 'outlook e-mail' which is my exchange server. directpush means that it will be looking for new mail all the time right? if i was to set up another account as pop, is there a feature that lets me change which one uses directpush?

for the ringtones, i found out why i couldnt see the tones. when on the incoming ringtone option they are there. what i wanted to do was change the live messenger alerts to some custom ones but they dont show up. is this possible?

also, has anyone else ditched the free antivirus software from t-mobile?

Guest pd.ryder
also, has anyone else ditched the free antivirus software from t-mobile?

I haven't had any hands-on with the Kaiser yet, but anti-virus?? ;)

I didn't think there were any WM virus's out there? I might be wrong but I was of the impression these were restricted to Symbian platforms?

:(

Guest jimbouk

You can't use directpush on a pop account. So if you want to use directpush on the second exchange server account, you would need to remove both accounts and set them back up with the second account as the outlook account and so on.

But if fast email from second account is important, then either use your first exchange server to poll your second server's email for you or set your pop account to check for new mail every x minutes.

Messenger has its own built in alerts. You can tell it to use those... or nothing... as it is an installed app rather than native.

Most users uninstall AV software.

Guest Transform

well in the sounds and notifications settings, in the drop down menu there is an option for 'live: incoming alert'. it lets me choose from any of the default sounds that come with the phone but nothing else ;)

also...

i know with the touch dual, it has a different style onscreen keypad (grey colour)? is that possible to get for my vario?

and a long shot i know, but...

is there an app available to turn bluetooth on/off nice and quick instead of having to go through the menus?

is there an app to quickly reset the phone? i had a simular program for my c500.

Guest jimbouk

Yes to all three...

google for WM6 keyboard cabs

One of the nice things about my Tytn2 is that it turns BT on when I need it... ie when I open ICS etc - but for calls, you need to turn it on in comm manager

There are reset buttons out there - as part of various add on apps, such as SPB Pocket Plus.

Guest Transform

i dont seem to be able to find the touch dual keyboard. it looks something like this?

cc.jpg

so with bluetooth if turns itself on when i want to sent a picture to someone for example?

the reason i was hoping for a program was because if someone wants to sent me something, i have to go into options and turn it on. but if there is no programs to do it, ahh well ;)

i guess that WM2003 apps wont go onto a WM6 device? i didnt want to try incase it screws the device up!

Guest pd.ryder
I have just to get onto facebook and nothing happens when i click logon.

Kimbie

As mentioned, the mobile Facebook site can be found at www.m.facebook.com It has limited functionality which drives me mad at times, but the html site won't work at all because it requires pluggins that PIE (at least on my 'ancient' WM5 device) doesn't support.

Handily, T-Mo currently have a handy link on their homepage directly to mobile Facebook. Mmm, handy.

;)

Guest jimbouk

The touch dual keyboard cab is around... although some people have had issues with it.

The quickest way to turn BT on, is press com mgr button and then press BT icon. Two clicks.

Guest Transform

so sort of issues have they had? i found a keyboard called CooTek TouchPal which looks quite good but i couldnt even find the HTC one!

if i turn the bluetooth off then back on again, the second tickbox called 'make this device visible to other devices' isnt ticked! ;)

Hello,

Rather than create a new thread for the same thing, thought I'd tag these in here. Hope no one minds. ;)

Just got a Vario III, again on T-Mobile, and got some questions that I was hoping people could help me with.

1a) It can obviously connect via 3G or via a W-LAN. When I'm at home it's now connecting to my W-LAN nicely and speeding along just fine. However it's also connect via 3G at the same time. I woke this morning to find it's been connected to 3G for 12 hours. Can you turn off 3G, but leave W-LAN on? I'm not sure if I'm being charged for the 3G connection or not.

1b) If a 3G connection is connected, are you charged just for being connected, or just when your'e sending and receiving? (I have web 'n' walk, 1gb fair usage unlimited data)

2) My gmail is remarkably busy, so I don't want it on my "normal" email function on my phone; it'd be going off every minute saying that I have mail. So I installed the gmail app, which is really handy as it auto syncs with gmail itself. However I've got some very odd problems with the keyboard when using it, either the physical keyboard or the touch screen keyboard. If I use either the shift, caps or fn key then the keyboard will either lock into that mode (even if it's only tapped) or it'll lock up completely until I press them again randomly. Doubly so if I need to use an arrow key after using a capital letter or a symbol. More annoying though is that virtually every action creates a prompt basically saying that "the app isn't trusted and it'll need to connect, which will charge me, should I allow it?" Is there anyway of telling the phone to just bloody trust the app?!

3) I have a second email address on the email function of the phone. I would like it to alert me when I get a mail, and this is quite easy to do. However I don't want to be alerted at 2:55am that I've got a very important email stating that, contrary to popular belief, that there's hot chicks who want my services. So, can you set it to send/receive every X minutes between say, 7am and 10pm? Then just leave it until the next morning?

4) Where do you actually get apps from? I'm guessing MSN is somewhere on MSN, so after this post I'm gonna go hunt it down. But anything else? Also I heard that maps are free? I don't want a navigator at all; I don't drive. However I would like a map function.

5) Are there any known issues sending email with POP3/SMTP?

6) Just to clarify, the "OK" button on the physical keyboard actually is the button for whatever symbol is in the top right of the screen, be it X or OK ?

Edit:

7) Wireless. When scanning for wireless networks it frequently can't pick up stuff I *know* is there. For example this PC is connected to my wireless network at work, and it is the strongest signal in the area. However the Vario can't find it when I scan, but it can find other signals that are weaker. Any ideas?

8) I've managed to successfully add a ringtone, but I can't seem to add a new tone for alerts for stuff such as SMS/MMS etc. It seems to be using another folder?

Thanks for any help,

Lutzie.

Edited by Lutzie

Hello,

Rather than create a new thread for the same thing, thought I'd tag these in here. Hope no one minds. ;)

Just got a Vario III, again on T-Mobile, and got some questions that I was hoping people could help me with.

1a) It can obviously connect via 3G or via a W-LAN. When I'm at home it's now connecting to my W-LAN nicely and speeding along just fine. However it's also connect via 3G at the same time. I woke this morning to find it's been connected to 3G for 12 hours. Can you turn off 3G, but leave W-LAN on? I'm not sure if I'm being charged for the 3G connection or not.

1b) If a 3G connection is connected, are you charged just for being connected, or just when your'e sending and receiving? (I have web 'n' walk, 1gb fair usage unlimited data)

2) My gmail is remarkably busy, so I don't want it on my "normal" email function on my phone; it'd be going off every minute saying that I have mail. So I installed the gmail app, which is really handy as it auto syncs with gmail itself. However I've got some very odd problems with the keyboard when using it, either the physical keyboard or the touch screen keyboard. If I use either the shift, caps or fn key then the keyboard will either lock into that mode (even if it's only tapped) or it'll lock up completely until I press them again randomly. Doubly so if I need to use an arrow key after using a capital letter or a symbol. More annoying though is that virtually every action creates a prompt basically saying that "the app isn't trusted and it'll need to connect, which will charge me, should I allow it?" Is there anyway of telling the phone to just bloody trust the app?!

3) I have a second email address on the email function of the phone. I would like it to alert me when I get a mail, and this is quite easy to do. However I don't want to be alerted at 2:55am that I've got a very important email stating that, contrary to popular belief, that there's hot chicks who want my services. So, can you set it to send/receive every X minutes between say, 7am and 10pm? Then just leave it until the next morning?

4) Where do you actually get apps from? I'm guessing MSN is somewhere on MSN, so after this post I'm gonna go hunt it down. But anything else? Also I heard that maps are free? I don't want a navigator at all; I don't drive. However I would like a map function.

5) Are there any known issues sending email with POP3/SMTP?

6) Just to clarify, the "OK" button on the physical keyboard actually is the button for whatever symbol is in the top right of the screen, be it X or OK ?

Thanks for any help,

Lutzie.

1a) If you go into Comm Manager and click on 3G the phone will think about it, and you will get an X in the box and the phone will disconnect from the mobile network and reconnect without 3G enabled.

1b) I belive you are only charged for data sent and recieved, not for being connected

2) Not sure on those ones

3) If you can it will be in the advanced settings of the email account

4) There are numerous sites on the internet where you can get windows mobile apps from, both legally and not so legally. Google maps will give you a mapping function http://www.google.com/gmm and that will download a map program, bare in mind it streams the maps from the internet, the other option is with Autoroute you used to get a program called Pocket streeets and you could load maps into that.

5) Not that I know of

6) Yes

Kimbie

5)

1a) If you go into Comm Manager and click on 3G the phone will think about it, and you will get an X in the box and the phone will disconnect from the mobile network and reconnect without 3G enabled.

In comms manager I only have:

Flight Mode (disabled)

Phone (enabaled)

Bluetooth (disabled)

WLAN (Enabled)

Microsfot Direct Push (greyed out)

Data Connection (greyed out)

Ringer (enabled)

net sharing (disabled)

Active sync (disabled)

So what do I disable to kill off 3G?

1b) I belive you are only charged for data sent and recieved, not for being connected

yeah, that's what I thought too.

3) If you can it will be in the advanced settings of the email account

So no then. Pity.

4) There are numerous sites on the internet where you can get windows mobile apps from, both legally and not so legally. Google maps will give you a mapping function http://www.google.com/gmm and that will download a map program, bare in mind it streams the maps from the internet, the other option is with Autoroute you used to get a program called Pocket streeets and you could load maps into that.

I'm only interest in the legal stuff. Too much dodgy stuff with yo-ho-ho'ed stuff. I'll try Pocket Streets, as having an app that streams from the 'net is a bit retarded.

5) Not that I know of

Ta. Must be something else then. At least that option is eliminated.

6) Yes

Again, bit of a stupid option that one. Should have included a "no/close" button as well as a "yes/open" button.

Thanks for the answers.

8) I've managed to successfully add a ringtone, but I can't seem to add a new tone for alerts for stuff such as SMS/MMS etc. It seems to be using another folder?

Just found the answer to this one.

If you drop the tone directly into the windows folder (So... MyDevice/Windows) you should be able to select it. (Only tested MP3 so far)