The offical Samsung Blackjack II 'Ask Nick' thread

Guest nickcornaglia

My love for the Blackjack2 had quickly gone away. I returned the phone due to the GPS problems even with the patch (it IS 'broken' and reported that some phones work and others dont).

But I returned it and bought the Motorola Q9h Global and couldnt be happier with it. Makes the BJII seem like a plastic toy in comparison. The box is filled with other goodies and the phone with cooler software. If you're up in the air about the two....go for the Q.

Does Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) work on the Q9h?

Guest Altuswire

Picked up the BJ2 and overall like it compared to BJ1.. However, it appear that at random times the screen just lights up! I know I've seen a post somewhere concerning this but can't find it to say my life..

Anyone else experience this or have a suggestions?

Guest Rob Halligan
Picked up the BJ2 and overall like it compared to BJ1.. However, it appear that at random times the screen just lights up! I know I've seen a post somewhere concerning this but can't find it to say my life..

Everytime mine has "lit up", I've found there was a reason for it doing so, such as a message coming in or a reminder going off.

I read the same thing in another forum. Mine does it all the time. Its 100% random. Sometimes it will do it 5 times in an hour other times it will not do it for hours. The undocumented LED changes different colors every time it switches from GSM to 3G. That has nothing to do with the phone turning on randomly

SeanH

Everytime mine has "lit up", I've found there was a reason for it doing so, such as a message coming in or a reminder going off.

Mine lights up for things like that also. There are times were it lights up for no reason at all. It bugs me a lot because I stare at it waiting for something to happen, like in incoming call or email.

SeanH

Guest Altuswire
Mine lights up for things like that also. There are times were it lights up for no reason at all. It bugs me a lot because I stare at it waiting for something to happen, like in incoming call or email.

SeanH

I agree, when it lights up I expect something... a call, a msg, but nothing. I thought it may have something to do with possibly switching on "E" vs "G" but that doesn't seem to be the case either. Very annoying! Called Samsung yesterday (lvl 3), said they hadn't heard that one before but was elevated to the technicians. Glad to see I'm not the only this is happening to.

As to the lights, I posed that question as well and here is what I was told:

Red - Charging

Green - Done

Blue - Bluetooth (intermittent)

Magenta - Missed call /voicemail / data connection (intermittent)

That's all I can remember at the moment, notes are at home.

Edited by Altuswire

Guest Altuswire

From what she said it should blink approximately every 5 seconds. Dunno past that. Maybe someone knows or can make a tweak for that one but I AGREE.

Update: I did some poking around in the registry and found the following keys

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification

Lefrefcount=0 (set to 1 on steady, set to 2 blinks)

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification\LED

Timeout=30 (set to 0, blinks for about 15 sec)

Testing above settings by sending myself a text msg.

Edited by Altuswire

Guest jvanliew

Hi one question i had for you guys. I just got the BJII and i like making my own ringtones. However, i tried this and it told me the maximum size it would support was only 300k. Anyway around this because thats pretty small. ANy feedback would be appreciated Thanks!

Guest ptukhar
From what she said it should blink approximately every 5 seconds. Dunno past that. Maybe someone knows or can make a tweak for that one but I AGREE.

Update: I did some poking around in the registry and found the following keys

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification

Lefrefcount=0 (set to 1 on steady, set to 2 blinks)

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification\LED

Timeout=30 (set to 0, blinks for about 15 sec)

Testing above settings by sending myself a text msg.

Does not appear to be working for me. Tried many many values to no avail...

Guest nickcornaglia

For those who asked...GPS is free for the world to use...IF you have a GPS program with pre-installed maps.

When using GoogleMaps and WindowsLiveSearch...data IS USED to download the maps as they are not on the phone but downloaded in visible sections as needed. So you DO NEED a data plan to run these apps.

Ringtones can be any wav, wma, or midi file. Not sure about the 300K limit...but the larger the file, the longer it takes to load...and you may not hear it as the ring is only about 26-30 seconds.

Making your ringtones as small as possible is best...and chop it so you hear the best part of the song obviously as you only hear a limited amount.

COme to think of it...I've had audio files that were 1MB as ringtones before....until I learned how to make them smaller. Try Audacity...it's free and easy to use.

Does not appear to be working for me. Tried many many values to no avail...

Me either. I tried alot of options. I also added Repeat=1 in the LED section and it did not work. I rebooted after each try.

SeanH

Guest Altuswire
Me either. I tried alot of options. I also added Repeat=1 in the LED section and it did not work. I rebooted after each try.

SeanH

At this point I'm quite frustrated. Neither Samsung nor AT&T have documentation or can provide a straight answer on this one. What's the point of having the light if it only blinks 1 or 2 times. It was 'my' understanding that it was a status light, and by status should tell you something without having to look at the screen. Come'on between that and the backlight issue they need to do something.

Any developers out there who can make a file or tweak to control the LED? I've seen reference to things like PhoneAlarmSP (don't want alarms, just the notifications), and Kaiser notifications (PPC only I believe)

Guest SAV2880

Thought I'd share my current experiences with the BJII so far:

* I was able to get the Internet Sharing files moved over to the phone like one of the other guys did, but it most definitely doesn't work. The "Internet Sharing" link inherent to the phone looks like it is trying to make a system call, and it's not meshing with copying the files over from a Blackjack I, which is what I did. Bluetooth wouldn't even get to "Connect", USB did show a connection to the computer, but could not allocate it an IP address.

* I have also not been able to get the Bluetooth PAN to show up as a service on my XP PC (I'm using a Dell XPS M1330 with XP retrofit on it), I even tried copying the registry entries under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Bluetooth for the "pan" key, no dice. That actually made it WORSE. :(

* The patch hasn't helped get my GPS working either. Might try the TeleNav trial method later. Anyone who has done this, can they see if there are any registry changes between the pre-TeleNav and post-TeleNav working states?

Looks like I'm going to be using the Modem option too. I would love to get Internet Sharing operating on this thing.

Guest ptukhar
Thought I'd share my current experiences with the BJII so far:

* I was able to get the Internet Sharing files moved over to the phone like one of the other guys did, but it most definitely doesn't work. The "Internet Sharing" link inherent to the phone looks like it is trying to make a system call, and it's not meshing with copying the files over from a Blackjack I, which is what I did. Bluetooth wouldn't even get to "Connect", USB did show a connection to the computer, but could not allocate it an IP address.

* I have also not been able to get the Bluetooth PAN to show up as a service on my XP PC (I'm using a Dell XPS M1330 with XP retrofit on it), I even tried copying the registry entries under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Bluetooth for the "pan" key, no dice. That actually made it WORSE. :(

* The patch hasn't helped get my GPS working either. Might try the TeleNav trial method later. Anyone who has done this, can they see if there are any registry changes between the pre-TeleNav and post-TeleNav working states?

Looks like I'm going to be using the Modem option too. I would love to get Internet Sharing operating on this thing.

I'm returning it. AD2P skips when an email comes in. I'm guessing the 260 MHZ POS cpu is too darn slow....

LED is pretty much worthless.....

Ahh welll...

Guest kluzyfool
Bluetooth is 720Kb Max and HSDP on this phone is 1.7Mb Max. With Bluetooth you will never get the speed. The BJII works perfect over USB as a modem to a PC. I have achieved average download speeds of 1.5Mb/s with the BJ II tethered over USB.

SeanH

To tether the connection, is it necessary to subscribe to AT&T's PDA Max w/Tethering, or does it "just work" with WM6? Thanks!

I was excited when reading encece's first comments, but now everyone seems to be having problems and want to return the BJII. Is it just a select few devices that seem to be like this?

Edited by kluzyfool

To tether the connection, is it necessary to subscribe to AT&T's PDA Max w/Tethering, or does it "just work" with WM6? Thanks!

It just works, I works with any data plan they offer.

SeanH

Guest PPCPassion
Obviously...the Blackjack II since that's the one I purchased! :(

Seriously though...I think it's a matter of preference. It's said that the keyboard on the Moto is the best ever. But the Moto seems so wide to me, even though it's only about 1/4". Still...just feels too wide. Asthetically...I think the BJ is just a nicer looking phone.

But in the end...it's all a matter of taste.

Can you/anyone help me re-assign CV (Cingular Video) and AT&T (Logo) keys to some other programs? I don't use CV or ATT home page and can use these dedicated keys to launch some other more useful programs.

Thanks!

Guest kluzyfool

I see how the data cable and charger go through the same port, but does the BJII charge when plugged into a PC?

Also, for those who put the BJI or BJII in their pocket, how well does the screen keep out dust, if at all?

Edited by kluzyfool

I see how the data cable and charger go through the same port, but does the BJII charge when plugged into a PC?

Also, for those who put the BJI or BJII in their pocket, how well does the screen keep out dust, if at all?

Yes the BJ II does charge when Plugged into a PC in all three modes, Sync, Modem, USB Drive.

No the phone does not get dusty in your pocket. It does get a lot of smudges when its pressed against your face when talking.

SeanH

Guest kluzyfool
Yes the BJ II does charge when Plugged into a PC in all three modes, Sync, Modem, USB Drive.

No the phone does not get dusty in your pocket. It does get a lot of smudges when its pressed against your face when talking.

SeanH

Awesome. I'm almost set on upgrading today.

Just a few more questions:

Is there a way to turn off the data connection? It's not always transmitting 24/7, is it?

And is there a data meter where you can see how much you've used?

Thanks again!

Edited by kluzyfool

Awesome. I'm almost set on upgrading today.

Just a few more questions:

Is there a way to turn off the data connection? It's not always transmitting 24/7, is it?

And is there a data meter where you can see how much you've used?

Thanks again!

I am not sure how you disable the data connection. With every phone I have ever used I have needed it.

I would imagine if you never use internet explorer, email or any other app that needs internet access you will never use any data.

There are apps to monitor data usage. You can also dial a code to ATT and they will show data usage for the month on your phone. It also shows data usage on the ATT web site when you login. Most people have unlimited data and do not worry about it.

SeanH