76 replies to this topic

SeanH

SeanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

- It's faster!
- The GPS works (with Pauls patch)!
- It's engineering and materials are top notch!
- The keyboard RULES! (didnt know until I really used it...it ROCKS!)
- Internet is waaaay faster (is Opera to thank for that or just the phone?)

- The BJ II is a lot faster then the BJ I. Will have to try the Q
- The GPS I bet is flaky on both devices. I blame Microsoft. PocketPC edition has a great util in settings to manage the GPS. Smartphone edition is a mess.
- I totally agree. The BJ II made of really cheap plastic like a cheap toy. And I hate the shinny surface. The device seems huge compared to the BJ I. I do not know why it feels bigger, the dimensions are close. I really like the matt finish of the BJ I.
- The keyboard is way better on the BJ II compared to the BJ I. The Q keyboard does look better. The scroll wheel on the BJ II works great.
- I would expect internet access on the Q compared to the BJ II running PIE or Opera would be the same.

SeanH

Edited by SeanH, 27 November 2007 - 04:05 PM.

SAV2880

SAV2880

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:BJ, BJ II, 8125, 8525, Tilt

I've also been trying to get Internet Connection Sharing working. If you haven't noticed, they have removed the intshUI.exe and the .dll files that go with it. I've downloaded copies of the missing files and enabled internet sharing at this key:

HKLM\System\State\Connectivity\InternetSharing
Set value to "1"

I get a connection established, but the NAT seems to not be working. i.e. I can only establish a local connection. No internet traffic.

Have you looked into this yet?

Which DLL files do I need to move to allow this to work? Would you be able to post a quick list?

DaRep

DaRep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Blackjack

Bluetooth is 720Kb Max and HSDP on this phone is 1.7Mb Max. With Bluetooth you will never get the speed. The BJII works perfect over USB as a modem to a PC. I have achieved average download speeds of 1.5Mb/s with the BJ II tethered over USB.

SeanH

Oh I don't doubt it, and I'm not saying that the Bluetooth PAN connection is superior. I'm just saying it's nice to have the availability of it so that I don't need to always have a USB cable with me - something that wouldn't be a problem in and of itself if Samsung didn't use a proprietary connector pinout to the phone. I'm willing to take half of the data speed if it means I don't always have to remember a cable.

SeanH

SeanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I carry one of these with my VPN keyfob every where my laptop goes.
Posted Image

MadSci

MadSci

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Nick,

I posted this in the BJ II GPS thread. I didn't see this thread was here. Anyway, do you have any suggestions for my problem below?
I'm trying to set mail so that it uses my storage card. From what I've gathered, I need to make the following registry changes:

1. Go to "HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings"
2. Then add these strings
PropertyPath = \Storage Card\Inbox
AttachPath = \Storage Card\Inbox\Attachments

The problem is, whenever I try to add these strings, I get an error and it won't let me add the strings.

The message simply says "Error" and nothing else. I am using Resco Registry Editor 2007.

Moreover, I can't seem to add any values to the "HKLM\System" area even though I can add values for "HKCU".

Am I missing some kind of Registry Lock on "HKLM"?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

In general, for those of us not qualified to Hack the Registry, if one of you talented people out there were to write a utility that accomplished this Hack, for both BJ's, you would be worshipped as Gods :(

I cannot fathom why phone companies will make a phone that runs on a Windows OS, the most memory-hungry beasts ever unleashed upon the Earth, and then send them forth to gather data from the Ether, crippled by the tiny amound of memory available onboard when 99% of SPhone users are going to slap in GIGABYTES of storage! Think about it! The more you use the phone, and the more you use the rather expensive data bandwith from the Operators (and the more $ they make off you), the more your phone's performance degrades! What's wrong with this picture!

Come on people! Make this an option!!!!

Thanks to you Gods in advance - MadSci

"We're Not Worthy, we're not worthy"

pwolf

pwolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:BlackJack, BlackJack 2

My love for the Blackjack2 had quickly gone away. I returned the phone due to the GPS problems even with the patch (it IS 'broken' and reported that some phones work and others dont).

But I returned it and bought the Motorola Q9h Global and couldnt be happier with it. Makes the BJII seem like a plastic toy in comparison. The box is filled with other goodies and the phone with cooler software. If you're up in the air about the two....go for the Q.

Does Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) work on the Q9h?

Altuswire

Altuswire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:SGH-i617
Picked up the BJ2 and overall like it compared to BJ1.. However, it appear that at random times the screen just lights up! I know I've seen a post somewhere concerning this but can't find it to say my life..

Anyone else experience this or have a suggestions?

Rob Halligan

Rob Halligan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:BlackJack II

Picked up the BJ2 and overall like it compared to BJ1.. However, it appear that at random times the screen just lights up! I know I've seen a post somewhere concerning this but can't find it to say my life..

Everytime mine has "lit up", I've found there was a reason for it doing so, such as a message coming in or a reminder going off.

SeanH

SeanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

I read the same thing in another forum. Mine does it all the time. Its 100% random. Sometimes it will do it 5 times in an hour other times it will not do it for hours. The undocumented LED changes different colors every time it switches from GSM to 3G. That has nothing to do with the phone turning on randomly

SeanH

SeanH

SeanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Everytime mine has "lit up", I've found there was a reason for it doing so, such as a message coming in or a reminder going off.

Mine lights up for things like that also. There are times were it lights up for no reason at all. It bugs me a lot because I stare at it waiting for something to happen, like in incoming call or email.

SeanH

Altuswire

Altuswire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Mine lights up for things like that also. There are times were it lights up for no reason at all. It bugs me a lot because I stare at it waiting for something to happen, like in incoming call or email.

SeanH

I agree, when it lights up I expect something... a call, a msg, but nothing. I thought it may have something to do with possibly switching on "E" vs "G" but that doesn't seem to be the case either. Very annoying! Called Samsung yesterday (lvl 3), said they hadn't heard that one before but was elevated to the technicians. Glad to see I'm not the only this is happening to.

As to the lights, I posed that question as well and here is what I was told:
Red - Charging
Green - Done
Blue - Bluetooth (intermittent)
Magenta - Missed call /voicemail / data connection (intermittent)

That's all I can remember at the moment, notes are at home.

Edited by Altuswire, 28 November 2007 - 06:03 PM.

SeanH

SeanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Did you ask them why the LED only blinks Magenta for 2 sec if you miss a call or get a message? It should blink forever.

SeanH

Altuswire

Altuswire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
From what she said it should blink approximately every 5 seconds. Dunno past that. Maybe someone knows or can make a tweak for that one but I AGREE.

Update: I did some poking around in the registry and found the following keys

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification
Lefrefcount=0 (set to 1 on steady, set to 2 blinks)

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification\LED
Timeout=30 (set to 0, blinks for about 15 sec)

Testing above settings by sending myself a text msg.

Edited by Altuswire, 28 November 2007 - 08:39 PM.

jvanliew

jvanliew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi one question i had for you guys. I just got the BJII and i like making my own ringtones. However, i tried this and it told me the maximum size it would support was only 300k. Anyway around this because thats pretty small. ANy feedback would be appreciated Thanks!

ptukhar

ptukhar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:hp 6915 8525 BJ BJII Treo750

From what she said it should blink approximately every 5 seconds. Dunno past that. Maybe someone knows or can make a tweak for that one but I AGREE.

Update: I did some poking around in the registry and found the following keys

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification
Lefrefcount=0 (set to 1 on steady, set to 2 blinks)

HKCU\ControlPanel\Notification\LED
Timeout=30 (set to 0, blinks for about 15 sec)

Testing above settings by sending myself a text msg.

Does not appear to be working for me. Tried many many values to no avail...

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
For those who asked...GPS is free for the world to use...IF you have a GPS program with pre-installed maps.
When using GoogleMaps and WindowsLiveSearch...data IS USED to download the maps as they are not on the phone but downloaded in visible sections as needed. So you DO NEED a data plan to run these apps.

Ringtones can be any wav, wma, or midi file. Not sure about the 300K limit...but the larger the file, the longer it takes to load...and you may not hear it as the ring is only about 26-30 seconds.

Making your ringtones as small as possible is best...and chop it so you hear the best part of the song obviously as you only hear a limited amount.

COme to think of it...I've had audio files that were 1MB as ringtones before....until I learned how to make them smaller. Try Audacity...it's free and easy to use.

-Nick

SeanH

SeanH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Does not appear to be working for me. Tried many many values to no avail...

Me either. I tried alot of options. I also added Repeat=1 in the LED section and it did not work. I rebooted after each try.

SeanH

Altuswire

Altuswire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Me either. I tried alot of options. I also added Repeat=1 in the LED section and it did not work. I rebooted after each try.

SeanH

At this point I'm quite frustrated. Neither Samsung nor AT&T have documentation or can provide a straight answer on this one. What's the point of having the light if it only blinks 1 or 2 times. It was 'my' understanding that it was a status light, and by status should tell you something without having to look at the screen. Come'on between that and the backlight issue they need to do something.

Any developers out there who can make a file or tweak to control the LED? I've seen reference to things like PhoneAlarmSP (don't want alarms, just the notifications), and Kaiser notifications (PPC only I believe)

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,222 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

ptukhar

ptukhar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:hp 6915 8525 BJ BJII Treo750

Try DontForget 2...

http://www.modaco.co...vents-notifier/

P

Does not appear to be working too well on the BJII

0 user(s) are reading this topic