Motorola Q9H (AT&T) GPS... ACTIVATED! [updated]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[Edit: Please read THIS POST for an updated (COM3) activator, to resolve power drain issues.

I'm not going to rehash the whole topic, but a few days ago, in this thread I posted some files that activated the GPS on the Blackjack II for use via regular COM port access.

I'm pleased to say that the same process has now been carried out and tested on the Motorola Q9H (AT&T) :( Check out the topic linked above for the background, or read on to get started!

The activator is vailable as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM5 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow Q9H owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS Don't forget our Q device discussion area, online now at http://Q.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorq9h' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM5.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM5.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM5.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM5.EXE

Guest nickcornaglia

Now THIS is the way it's supposed to work.

I dont know if the BJ2 is broken but I now get all of these apps working:

Windows Live Search

Google Maps

GPS Test (this time with 3D fix not just connection)

Vito Navigator

Effica GPS Utilities

GOODBYE BLACKJACK2 - HELLO MOTOQ9h!!!!

The only thing I cant get working is Mapopolis. I set it to COM5 and tried all Baud rates...but it wont find the GPS. I blame the app, which is now unsupported.

But which GPS app to buy that has the ability to go off-road as well for Geocaching?! Wish they had demos! Any recommendations?

Well done Paul. The Blackjack's are broken...I'm sure of it!

PS.

The Q ROCKS!!!! Dare I say, possibly the best Smartphone I've ever owned.

Guest romeo26

i am sorry for asking such a noobish question but the moto q9h is my first smart phone!

the question is: after i install the cab file and reset the phone, what do i have to do now?

i have tried to run google maps but it said that it cant find the satellites! in google maps i go to menu>options>connections(i think thats what its called)>manule> then set it to com5. but still doesnt grab a signal. what do i do?

Guest dbhouston

After one week with the Q9, my only complaint has been the GPS - seriously, this is a great device for both phone and win mo. Waiting for a long while, switching programs, all that makes the gps too much of a pain to really use on an everyday basis - really defeats the purpose of having it in the phone if it isn't quick and easy.

So, I was thrilled to see the solution here. With the fix installed, gmm and live both locate me immediately, which is great but also evidence that the gps unit is now always on and tracking. At the same time, battery life is clearly affected by the change - draining much faster than before. In both gmm and live, the connection works with either COM5 or the default intermediate driver. This suggests to me that the fix works (on the Q, at least) by keeping the gps active at all times, not by the incorporation of a COM port.

As has been suggested in the BJII discussion, the ultimate fix will require the ability to turn gps on and off independently. When you are going to be needing the service, turn it on, then turn it off to save battery life. In the meantime, installing/uninstalling the current fix is still a damn good solution compared to the alternatives.

Thanks for the great work. Hope this feedback helps.

Guest optikalsaint

This is an awesome find. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work with COM5. After manually editing the registry to try and connect on COM4, everything worked perfectly with the GPS... the only downside is data wouldn't work so it wouldn't download the maps <_<

Now I am just trying to manually edit the GPS COM port until I find one that lets me use data and aGPS. This leads me to believe that not all Q9hs are created equal :(

Guest mordani

I downloaded and installed the Activator (OTA) and it worked for me without having to change any COM port settings. Google maps and Live Search worked with the default settings - no settings changed !!

Guest optikalsaint

Woohoo, I got it working on COM5 finally. For some reason, it only works when I'm charging the phone. I thought that was odd as my battery was well above 50% full. Maybe there is something wrong with my handset :(

Guest Francisco Viana

Hello

I have one moto Q9h Purchased in Europe (Portugal) and i try activate GPS using this .CAB file, but i cant open COM 5 or 4 in navigation software. :(

My device have GPS? or its only for Q9h (Global) selling in US.

If yes, how i can activated in different ways

Regards

Francisco Viana

www.pocketpt.net

Guest fiddler2068
I have one moto Q9h Purchased in Europe (Portugal) and i try activate GPS using this .CAB file, but i cant open COM 5 or 4 in navigation software. :(

My device have GPS? or its only for Q9h (Global) selling in US.

It's my understanding that the european versions do NOT have gps.

fiddler

Edited by fiddler2068

Guest Dahwich

I have a Rogers Q9H in Canada, and this trick got Astro Navigator II and Google Maps working perfectly. Unfortunately, GPS Utilities fail to detect anything on COM5.

More troubling for me is that having the GPS constantly active and searching has a huge effect on my battery life. My phone ran out from close to a full charge in 6-7 hours! Most of it was with the screen off, not even being used!

What is the easiers way to revert these registry settings? I simply set:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\IsEnabled=0

Does that seem reasonable?

Thanx!

Guest optikalsaint
I have a Rogers Q9H in Canada, and this trick got Astro Navigator II and Google Maps working perfectly. Unfortunately, GPS Utilities fail to detect anything on COM5.

More troubling for me is that having the GPS constantly active and searching has a huge effect on my battery life. My phone ran out from close to a full charge in 6-7 hours! Most of it was with the screen off, not even being used!

Thanx!

I had the same problem and had to charge my phone 4 times between yesterday and this morning. I just uninstalled the patch via the Settings menu and am crossing my fingers that the drainage will stop :(

Guest romeo26

cool...cant wait...i wonder what cool hacks will you be comming out with?

btw...i finally got gps to work! but now it kills my battery life! i hope you come up with something, cuse going in the registry scares me!!

Guest nickcornaglia

If you don't use the GPS everyday...place the cab on your storage card. It wuill stay there by default after installing. Uninstall the app and restart the phone to save battery life on a day to day basis. Reinstall the can when you need it again.

A real pain in the butt...but it will have to do until Paul, or someone, figure out how to turn the GPS off when not in use.

By the way...like everyone, battery life with the patch applied is horrible. Maybe 4 hours on standby using the regular battery...tops.

With the patch uninstalled...I get well over a day with a decent amount of data use and phone calls as well...on the standard battery.

Guest suchmuchfun

I installed the update last night. I first tried the over the air method, but my phone wouldn't download anything. It just sat on the blank screen. I finally got it in the right spot, re-set, and everything worked great. To test the battery issue, I closed the program (Live) and left the phone on all night. When I woke up (less than 7 hours later, I need more sleep) the battery was basically dead.

So, the program works well (obviously), but I too am having the drain issue. I uninstalled the program but left the cab on the phone in case I need it later.

Thanks, I will watch for updates!

Thanx!

Removing these registry settings could solve this problem:

(1)HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer

DriverInterface

(2)HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice

Index

Prefix

DO NOT use this cab to enable COM5 for GPS!!!!!!!!

COM5 has been used by some important internal drivers. If you install this cab, your GPS chipset is being turned on all the time, so you meet the problem about the battery life.

Guest nickcornaglia

Searching the registry...COM5 is spelled out in:

HKLM/System\Drivers\Active\52

which is the driver for "DataMuxDrvChannelTwo"

In fact all of the COM prts have an entry except COM3...

...trying COM3 now.

Will see if it works...if so, I'll report battery drain rate tomorrow.

Guest nickcornaglia

Okay...I'm using COM3 and I dont see much of a drop in battery...still only 11:30am so it's only been off the charger for 4 hours but I still have about 80% battery left with a couple of phone calls and email and newsbreak polling all day.

Guest VarianTemplar
Okay...I'm using COM3 and I dont see much of a drop in battery...still only 11:30am so it's only been off the charger for 4 hours but I still have about 80% battery left with a couple of phone calls and email and newsbreak polling all day.

So is the .cab only dinking the registry or is it also installing software or a driver?

Care to share how you made the change to COM3:?

/edit - Blargh! I need to put on my bi-focals. Never mind. Will there be a COM3: version of the .cab installer made available at some point? Sounds promising, this!

Edited by VarianTemplar

Guest suchmuchfun

I'll be watching this to see if the .cab is updated to eliminate the battery drain issue. Sounds like it may have been solved here. I am too stupid to make a change myself.

Guest nickcornaglia

I can officially say that changing the registry to COM3 has little if any impact on battery life!

I won't make an offical CAB but instead will leave it to Paul to do that himself. But in the meantime...if you want to make the change:

1) Install Paul's CAB

2) Using a registry editor like Resco or PHM RegEdit change the following setting to COM3: (with the colon)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer

DriverInterface (change value from COM5: to COM3:

3) Restart your phone.

4) Change GPS program settings to use COM3:

Tested with GoogleMaps, LiveSearch, Vito Navigator, GPS Test, EfficaSoft GPS Utilities.

I'm going to guess at the reason as I am no was a master at any of this:

1) Searching the registry for COM...there were settings for COM1, 2, 4, 5 7, 8, 9 but none for three

2) COM5 is set to a driver for DataMuxDrvChannelTwo

3) Other com ports were set to ChannelOne, ChannelThree etc.

My guess is that the battery drain was from whatever that driver on COM5 is running, was being run all day because of the IsEnabled setting..and draining the battery like it had a hole in it!

Paul...tell me your better educated guess please! :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.