Any way to stop Activesync syncing every 5 mins?

Guest wizgnome

Guest wizgnome

When I changed my WM-2003 smartphone for a new HTC S710 I had to upgrade Activesync to version 4.5.

This has a most undesireeable feature of syncing every 5 minutes when connected to my PC - does any one think this is a wanted feature? Can we petition Microsofte to remove it?

Searching the net I found a couple of sugestions for stopping this happening. One was to change a registry setting on the PC to disable sync on connect - Trid this but it had no effect. The other was to create a 'dummy' server on the phone and change the schedule settings to manual and then delete the 'dummy' server (the schedule option is greyed out normally) - this had no effect either.

My phone still insists on syncing every 5 minutes.

I would like it to sync on first connection, but if I am copying a lot of files to the phone (Music/Videos from itunes for which I have a script to update them automatically when I connect my phone so I have something new to watch/listem to every day) then the 5 minute auto sync interferes with this - slows down the file transfer and in some cases Active sync disconnects the phone and I have to re-start the transfer.

I could just remove the SD card - but its a lot easier to dock the phone walk away and come back later with everything update at least it would be if active sync did not try and update my contacts/emails every 5 minutes.

Another problem is that if I accidently un-dock the phone whilst it is doing one of these unwanted sync's then it usually corrupts my contacts/mail on the phone and I have to do a total re-sync - sometimes requiring a delete of the partnership to get it to work again. :(

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest wizgnome

Hmm.. changing the registry everty time I connect the phone is not really all that practical.

Its about time microsoft put back in the manual sync feature. What ever posessed them to criple the application by removing manual sync - why would anyone want to have their device synced every 5 minutes?

The major problem is if I want to copy a large number of files to the device (podcasts, music etc) then the outlook sync starts up whilst the file transfer is in progress - slowing down the transfer, usually the device times out and disconnects. so I have to re-connect and start all over again.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

I've been using this script for a while now. The core file works by setting Cradled value to zero every minute. When nothing is cradled, no synchronization takes place.

For info purposes, this TechNet article is a good start for the simple desktop solution that I'm working on which automatically disables 5-minute sync feature once a WM5 or WM6 device is connected via the USB cable. No more manual changing of registry value.

Guest wizgnome

I started to take a look at the registry on the windows PC.

By setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services]

"GuestOnly"=dword:00000001 I can get it to not prompt for a guest partnership when connecting my device.

Then if I remove the Partners key - Leaving only the one for Guest.

I can connect my device as a Guest allowing me to transfer files and music as a "Guest"

The if I restore the registry key for my partnership, it will sync with outlook again.

Next step is to write a small program to change the registry settings between the two options, which will then give a guest - no sync connection or the normal partnership with the sync enabled.

Guest wizgnome
I've been using this script for a while now. The core file works by setting Cradled value to zero every minute. When nothing is cradled, no synchronization takes place.

For info purposes, this TechNet article is a good start for the simple desktop solution that I'm working on which automatically disables 5-minute sync feature once a WM5 or WM6 device is connected via the USB cable. No more manual changing of registry value.

The script helps a lot, but I still get the sync on initial connect, which means waiting until its finished before copying stuff to my phone. I am still looking for a manual sync solution.

• 5 months later...
Guest LordJ

I simply unchecked 'allow usb connections' When I want to sync, I check it again..I really only need to sync once a day, so it's not a huge hassle.