Google adds cell tower based positioning to Google Maps

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest johncody
Awesome!

Google, give us an API :(

P

This is exactly what your developer contest was all about!

I wonder how they obtained all the info of where each cell tower ID is located?

Guest stevewright

Works on my Orange M600 with a T-Mobile sim.

I'm not actually within the 1700m radius it reckons I am...

It is useful, but only to a point. I'd use it for if I was lost and just wanted a help getting to roughly the right part of the map!

It worked brilliantly on my HTC Touch at work in Central London but once I tried to use it at points on the way home I couldn't get it to refresh where I was and it insisted I was still at work. Only way I could get it to refresh was to reboot the phone!

Guest pd.ryder

Well, we are kinda semi-rural round 'ere and it's managed to place me within 2 miles of my house. It seems just as happy whether connected via 3G or wifi - I did wonder if it would need to be monitoring a 'live' 3G / GPRS connection to be able to locate me. It seems not.

I'll try it outdoors later tonight and again at work in the thriving metropolis that is Gloucester City tomorrow. There is probably better accuracy to be had, but to be honest I get better reception at this semi-rural location than I do in the City :(

Here's hoping...

:D

Guest pd.ryder

Hmm, I like the GUI on the routing aspect of this app. I don't know how it will work on the move - guess there's only one way to find out... :(

It has problems drawing the pop-up keyboard on my VII - annoying. And I've just noticed it's not interested in showing me the 'satellite view'. Very annoying...

:D

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest mwright

Hmm

All sorts of things don't work properly on my M3100 on Orange.

1) I cannot get out of the dialog to set GPS options.OPtions at bottom of screen are always the "main" screen options (zoom- and menu)

2) Cannot change view to satellite.

3) "Get location" returns "not available"

Where can I get the old one from? - it's OK - found it

Edited by mwright

Guest jchamier

Works quite well here on T-mobile, (Vario II upgraded to WM6 with HTC Asia/dopod rom).

Although its about 0.5 mile out, but there are not many towers around here, its quite flat.

Guest Happy Dave
It worked brilliantly on my HTC Touch at work in Central London but once I tried to use it at points on the way home I couldn't get it to refresh where I was and it insisted I was still at work. Only way I could get it to refresh was to reboot the phone!

yes same here, seems to be a lot more accurate now though and some menus have become available that were greyed out before, in fact its a totally different menu structure. Sat view is available again. It may need a soft reset after every use to get it going again!

Guest ajb3000

It appears to be entirely network dependant, or maybe upon which masts are in Google's database. I tried using MyLocation on my Nokia N80 which is connected to the 3UK network and with a signal from 3 it said not available, so I tried changing to their roaming partner o2 and it still said not available, but then I switched it to their other roaming partner orange and it worked, albeit about a mile out.

Guest doctormetal

Tried the new google maps mobile on my tytn II and it works great.

Tried both the cell tower and gps to get my location.

The cell tower option was only off by about 5 meters.

I live in the netherlands and use Hi as my operator.

According to Google Help Center

If you have a Java-enabled (J2ME) device, BlackBerry or Windows Mobile device, you can easily check whether or not My Location (beta) is available. Just to go "Help" > "About" from the application. If the box contains "myl: N/A," it means your device isn't reporting a cell. "

I have a C550 on T-mobile web'n'walk - I get 'Your current location is temporarily unavailable' and myl: N/A under Help.

It's not clear whether myl: N/A means your device cannot report a cell or it is temporarily not reporting a cell...

Guest Transform

vario III

using gps is spot on but with the new method it was about half a mile out. does this new method work in a simular way that phoneAlarm works to find out where you are?

update:

i just exited the app and started it again now it says 'your current location is temporarily unavailable'!

Edited by Transform

Working for me on T-Mobile near Swindon (UK). Accuracy here within 1 mile. There seems to be some misunderstanding by some on how this works. Some of the factors that determine whether it works and the level of accuracy that can be expected are:

- Whether Google know the cell tower postions in your area - there are lots of networks with lots of options to cover.

- The density of cell towers will determine the accuracy achievable. In built-up areas there will be many and location predictions within metres should be possible (as reported by some). In low density areas, typically away from towns, the accuracy will be much lower.

- Any GSM or 3G signal should suffice (if the tower is in the Google database)

- Wifi is of no relevance - it is the mobile phone signal that is being used to determine your location.

- A data connection is only required to show you a map. The application could be used by Google without a data connection to send your lat/long (position) for use elsewhere - 'send my location' type commands as already available with some GPS apps.

- If Google do not have a complete cell tower plot for your area then accuracy will be improved as they add more cell phone masts (for each operator) into their database.

- Whether moving or not this should work.

Hope this helps - the Google video on the new map capability is good and explains much of this. Those with a Kaiser (built-in GPS) may well think this is rubbish but for those without a GPS this is better than nothing. There will also be times where no GPS signal can be received and this will work!

Another excellent field leader from Google - and it's free.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.