Lowest Power Usage

Guest farkah

Hello,

I've noticed that the power usage can be tremendious, or can be terrible. I've read that HSDPA is a bit power hungry, and gprs isn't so bad.

I'm trying to work out some power schemes. Like for instance, in the car using GPS i often have enough juice to get there however the battery is flat for the return journey (i know... i got a car adaptor for it now)

What are the ways of having the phone last longest, yet still being usable as a phone/data device?

Is there a handy utility which one can assign all sorts of settings for changing and storing these settings?

Cheers.

Guest hotphil

You could try some of the profile changer apps that are out - they may be of use. Or try and work out what app or activity is killing the battery. For the first few days when I had my Kaiser my batter wasn't even lasting overnight and it took me a while to get everything set up right. For me, I think the killer seemed to be Windows Live.

Guest Subliminal Aura

Sorry to jump in this thread but what's all this I keep hearing about direct push - how does it work ?

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest hotphil

DirectPush is Microsoft's equivalent of the instant email a Blackberry provides. If you have an email account on a compatible Microsoft Exchange email server, you can use DirectPush so that as an email arrives in your mailbox it is 'pushed' instantly to your phone. It's pretty quick, I get mails on my phone before they arrive on my laptop.

Guest Subliminal Aura
DirectPush is Microsoft's equivalent of the instant email a Blackberry provides. If you have an email account on a compatible Microsoft Exchange email server, you can use DirectPush so that as an email arrives in your mailbox it is 'pushed' instantly to your phone. It's pretty quick, I get mails on my phone before they arrive on my laptop.

Still confused as this doesn't explain how the mail actually gets to your phone :(

Is it like an email bundled up like an SMS ? Or does this all happen over tcp/ip in which case is no different to poping or using imap.

SA

Guest hotphil

Someone may well correct me, but my understanding is that your phone keeps a very small 'heartbeat' network connection open to the server and the server uses this to 'wake' the device and initiate a full transfer of the mail. It's no different from a timed connection other than the 'instant-ness' of it.

Guest Subliminal Aura

Cool just been reading about it on wikipedia and it all seems like very old technology rebranded.

IMAP push has been around for years so I might just set that up.

Trouble is that the heartbeat to the server will require a connection to net (costly on power I would have thought) ?

Guest hotphil

It does use some power, but it's not noticeable. I have my DirectPush connection active 08:00-18:00 for work and I don't really notice the drain. Obviously, turning it off will use less power.

Guest Subliminal Aura
It does use some power, but it's not noticeable. I have my DirectPush connection active 08:00-18:00 for work and I don't really notice the drain. Obviously, turning it off will use less power.

OK just to clarify - When you have direct push switched on this creates a GPRS or lower connection and keeps this tcp state active.

Final question - Is there a howto on how to set this up ?

Cheers

Guest jimbouk

1) You need an exchange server 2003 sp2 mailbox account. Either your own or rent one from 4smartphone.com

2) You set your device to sync with it

3) It asks if you want mail items as they arrive

4) You say yes

(OK so there are other things you might need to do - depending on where your server is)

The way it is designed, it uses a 3kb pulse to maintain the connection with the server. This is due to the devices IP address changing as you move nodes etc. In good network conditions it only pulses once every 45 minutes or more - in bad conditions it will pulse as often as every few minutes.

If you change/send an email/contact/calendar/task item on uyour device it syncs it up to the server. If the server receives a new email or your PA changes a calendar item etc on your mailbox, then it tells the device to initiate a sync.

You can easily switch direct push on and off in your com mgr.

had my kaiser on all day today using it constantly (beasting you might say) - just hit 5% after coming off the mains this morning at 6am - this was the first full day i have used it (only got it day before) - perhaps this improves over time

Guest Chris Hanley

Battery life can really suck, but a few tweaks and you can get it more or less under control. The thing is so capable that you want to turn on everything when you first get it. Unless you have a real need for push email (such as it being your works method of enabling mobile mail), look for an alternative. I use gmail for my personal mail, and the IMAP sync works good. I use emoze for my corporate email synchronization, it does a good job of syncing as often as I need it, and can be configured to limit synchronization to specific hours and days (I mean, do I really want to sync my work email at 3am on a sunday?)

Guest jimbouk

Direct Push can also be set to only be on peak times and you can set the peak times to anything you want.

The main battery drains are talking, 3g data and wifi.

Guest pndragon
The main battery drains are talking, 3g data and wifi.

So your're saying that in order to max out my battery life I can either count the amount of times my LED indicators go off OR use it as an MP3 player!

:(

lol - I'm just messing with you

Guest waynepyrah

I have directpush on 24x7

Just turn off 3g - its the hsdpa that zaps the battery!

If only I could turn odd hsdpa and leave 3g on

hsdpa is really useful for downloads but not needed for tiny mails

I have directpush on 24x7

Just turn off 3g - its the hsdpa that zaps the battery!

If only I could turn odd hsdpa and leave 3g on

hsdpa is really useful for downloads but not needed for tiny mails

I use kaisertweak, one of the options is to enable and disable hsdpa

i had messenger and opera mini open all day today browsing and chatting over gprs - took it off the charger at 6am this morning, got home at 6pm and i had 46% battery left - on lowest brightness though